Thread: Suggestions For A New Boat Blind

Default Suggestions For A New Boat Blind

I have a 16ft Flat which needs a new blind. I知 debatingbetween buying one or building my own. I知 a fairly good fabricator and have noreservations about building one but I知 wondering if it is cost effective. Anysuggestions, recommendations, or picts of a good homebuilt blind design wouldbe greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Carl in Mobile, AL has been posting these diagrams up for years.

AK Ray
    Thanks for the link, I had to apply for a membership to see the picts as soon as I get approved I will check them out.

Thanks

Darn, I thought I had reset the link so that would not happen. They must have changed some of their spam settings so that lurking does not work anymore.

If you search on the duck hunters chat forums you can also find several tutorials for making EMT conduit scissor blinds. All my links are broken since I stopped logging in over there.

I think modifying a boat boat blind and turning it into something like a gatortrax gator hide would serve you very well. I'm saving my money for an E.B.A.D.S. boat to be able to hunt solo with the dog. But my dream boat is a four man gator hide. I have hunted from enough boat blinds to know that if you can get to where they want to be and blend in you'll do well. I really like the idea on being able to layout hunt in the marsh.

Click
    Yeah the Gator Trax Hide looks pretty cool but I dont know how my taller friends would like hunting with me....maybe good or bad lol I do like the idea of having a low profile.

My EBADS should be here next week cant waite. Only 173 days till opening day LOL
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

I have experimented with pvc blinds on my different boats for years. never really found one i was happy with, but they did give the ducks a sporting chance as opposed to something that conceils better. i'm hoping to have a low profile boat this next season that is very stable, thinking with the fasgras i have and geila suit, that it might work out better. i will show whatever i come up with. want to give the ducks fair warning. Bud
    Wasilla

I have a buddy that has built a blind very similar to the pop up blinds. I can probably get some pics and maybe schedule a visit to see it if interested.

i also have an EBADS.. I'll never hunt from anything else again..

Bimini fittings and conduit wasn't too expensive , the fittings cost more than the pipe but still came in way lower than 400 bucks or whatever they're going for now. Just get the hinges and fittings for the pipes , cut the pipe to your desired height and push it all together, I also drilled out the pipe where the set screws go and used a self tapper to add regidety

I built mine out of conduit
    Very easy to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by KingFishkiller View Post
    Bimini fittings and conduit wasn't too expensive , the fittings cost more than the pipe but still came in way lower than 400 bucks or whatever they're going for now. Just get the hinges and fittings for the pipes , cut the pipe to your desired height and push it all together, I also drilled out the pipe where the set screws go and used a self tapper to add regidety
    Same build for my boat. It's a simple scissor blind, works great.

Hey Fellas Thanks for the input. Just curious what size of conduit did you use? My makeshift blind I did last year I believe was madeout of 1" Conduit and it seemed a little heavy. Can you get away with using the smaller diameter stuff?
    Thanks

For EMT 1/2" is usually fine, but it depends on what weight your camo is going to be. Fast grass gets wet and heavy as does real grass/sedges. You should not need to use larger than 3/4". Even with a pop-up scissor blind you can install mid point supports down to the boat gunnels.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    For EMT 1/2" is usually fine, but it depends on what weight your camo is going to be. Fast grass gets wet and heavy as does real grass/sedges. You should not need to use larger than 3/4". Even with a pop-up scissor blind you can install mid point supports down to the boat gunnels.
    AK Ray Thanks for the info. I havent decided if I will go with Fast Grass or camo net with real grass. Im leaning towards Fast Grass.

Use fast grass as a base. Then use killer weed(autumn package) and mix in. Early in the season we cut the green reeds and mix it with this for amazing results. Easy to cut and bundle up.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruckup View Post
    AK Ray Thanks for the info. I havent decided if I will go with Fast Grass or camo net with real grass. Im leaning towards Fast Grass.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    Use fast grass as a base. Then use killer weed(autumn package) and mix in. Early in the season we cut the green reeds and mix it with this for amazing results. Easy to cut and bundle up.
    Thanks I will hit you up after we finish all this banquet stuff. Thanks Scott

head to Lowes and check out the fence section for any kind of plastic fence material. There should be several types of garden fence in small rolls. I like to use a kind that looks like snow fence but is green. I have also used a smaller mesh. This makes for a great base layer to attach any kind of grass to. Raffia killer weed grass as the main material and then stuff in cut sedges from the marsh. What boat?

AK Ray
    I have a 16' Lowe Flat Semi V. On my hasty make shift blind last year I used some black garden fence like your talking about and it did work well. I put military camo over that and then zip tied cut grass around both. It work ok, but the frame sucked thus the need for a new blind build.

Thanks
    Scott