Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bay Weld Build

Default Bay Weld Build

Met with BW's GM, Eric, for about 3 hrs on Saturday. Put deposit down to secure my build start date (November 2014). So far Eric has spend about 10 hours with me getting to this point with no contract signed and no really guarantee that I'll put a dime in his pocket. Great guy. BW will be at the Sportsman's Show in a couple of weeks with a couple of boats. Check 'em out. Here is my spec sheet. Comments, criticisms, observations, questions, and ego strokes welcome

Standard Package

Hull Specifications:

• Length overall (incl. outboards and bracket) 32 feet
    • Hull Length 28 feet
    • External beam 9.5 feet
    • Internal beam 8.5 feet
    • Hull deadrise at transom 17 degrees
    • Engine drive type Outboard
    • Engine horse power Twin 150 or 200 hp
    • Fuel capacity Approx. 200 gallons
    • Bottom plating 1/4" 5086 Aluminum
    • Side plating 3/16" 5086 Aluminum
    • Deck plating 3/16" 5052 Aluminum Diamond Plating
    • Cabin material 1/8" and 5/32" 5052 Aluminum
    • Bulkhead and longitudinal material 3/16" 5052 and 6061 Aluminum
    • Fuel tank material 3/16" 5052 Aluminum
    • Hull watertight voids 4 separate voids for maximum safety
    • Bow towing eye Bow stem integrated with stainless steel bushing
    • Deck Space 8 feet long from back of cabin
    • Gunnel width around cabin 8"
    • Outboard bracket style Traditional transom with gill bracket and swim steps

Cabin Features:

• Full width cuddy cabin with trunk cabin and bullworks forward of main windows
    • Interior layout to include one helm seat forward starboard with galley aft of helm and compact head enclosure in aft starboard cabin corner.
    • Head enclosure to have interior access door. Head door to be Nicks Iron works aluminum water tight door with locking handle

• Head enclosure to have Jabsco model 29090-*‐3000 manual/compact marine toilet installed on raised bracket with black water holding tank and overboard plumbing
    • Head enclosure to have handle on wall and coat hooks on exterior back head wall for storage
    • Tempress deluxe helm bucket seat with arm rests and swivel
    • Dinnette on port side aft cabin with forward and aft facing bench seating
    • Dinnette to convert into bunk by lowering table
    • Dinette table to be supported by removable stainless steel 1” rod from table to ceiling
    • Dinnette raised for good passenger visability
    • Storage in dinnette seat boxes
    • Cooler space storage between dinette footrests at floor level
    • Forward facing companion dual helm bench seat on port side forward of Dinnette
    • Helm bench seat to have storage space below seat
    • Forward dinette bench seat back rest to be removable to create oversized bunk length
    • Bench seats to have 3 inch bottom and 3 inch back cushions with owner selected upholstery
    • Interior height to be six feet-*‐three inches.
    • V-*‐birth forward with two bunks with 4 inch upholstered cushions
    • Starboard side helm seat, vessel controls, electronics, and electrical panels
    • Locking aluminum cabin door by Nicks Iron works. Door to have window in upper half.
    • Windows manufactured by Sea Glaze
    o 3 forward sloping windows at forward cabin
    o 2 sliding cabin side windows (port and starboard) o 2 fixed cabin side windows (port and starboard) o 1 aft cabin slider window behind dinette
    o 1 starboard side sliding window in head
    o Windows recreational grade with anodized aluminum frames
    o Windows to have light grey tint for glare control
    o Windows ordered with fitted bug screens (slider windows)
    • Below cabin storage, systems access, and cargo area accessed through lift out hatch in cabin floor
    • Cabin and head interior painted with Zolatone paint color chosen by owner
    • Cabin ceiling insulated (closed cell rigid foam panels) and paneled in White FRP fiberglass with oak trim strips
    • Cabin interior walls and V-*‐birth areas covered with a grey insulating hull liner where appropriate
    • Formica dinnette table and galley top of owners color selection. Surfaces to have sea rail edges and crumb cleanouts in corners
    • Storage cabinet recessed into galley face with four drawers with push button latches
    • Bomar 22" skylight/escape hatch over V-*‐birth
    • Cabin floor unpainted diamond plate aluminum with rubber backed throw rugs for easy clean up

Deck and exterior layout:

• Self-*‐bailing deck full length of deck to transom
    • Forward self draining anchor storage bin and anchor roller
    • Two welded downrigger brackets
    • Rooftop tie down rails
    • Antanea and radar arch at rooftop
    • 4 roof top rod holders per side
    • Six 10 inch weld on cleats
    • Dual zinc brackets on transom for bolt-*‐on style 4" x 6" zinc cathodes
    • 1 inch welded aluminum handrails around bow and deck areas. Handrails raised around bow deck area
    • 1/4" keel wear plate
    • 12 inch aft cabin roof extension over back deck
    • Built in steps at each side of aft cabin wall to step up onto gunnel to get to bow

Included Features:

• Two color vinyl hull and cabin stripping, AK numbers, and boat name lettering (including builders logo)
    • Vinyl colors selected by owner
    • Espar D-*‐4 forced air diesel cabin heater with digital thermostat and ducting to windows, v-*‐birth, head, and main cabin
    • Wallace 85du diesel fired ceramic cooktop unit with SS potholders. Cooktop plumbed to Espar diesel tank
    • Norcold 3.0 cu refrigerator/freezer compact unit
    • Single stainless steel 12” X 8.5” sink with cold water faucet at galley top
    • 25 gallon plastic fresh water tank
    • Jabsco 12 volt fresh water system pump with auto pressure switch
    • 12 volt electric Lenco trim tabs with indicator gauge
    • 12 volt Jabsco wash down pump with quick connect outlet and hose
    • One 1500 gph automatic bilge pump at storage compartment below cabin floor
    • Aluminum fish cleaning tray with UHMW plastic cutting board
    • Fish cleaning tray rail mounted for easy removal and cleaning

• Three Optima blue top sealed cell batteries 31 group (1 start/2 house)
    • Electrical componets by Blue Seas Company
    • Dual circuit battery switching and charging relay distribution with manual override switches
    • 13 space 12 volt DC breaker panel (not fuses)
    • Navigation and anchor lights
    • Two 12 volt outlet (cigarette style)
    • Circulation fan at forward windows
    • Three electric, self parking and intermitant windshield wipers with two wiper control at helm
    • Cabin interior, head, and V-*‐birth lighting (8 lights total)(red/white nav lts @ helms)
    • Electronics package to include installation of Garmin navigation system with model 740s 7” inch LCD touch screen display, Airmar P319 thru-*‐hull transducer, Standard Horizon Quantum GX5000S VHF with PA and fog horn output. Package includes vhf antanea and fog horn speaker.
    • Dash mounted compass with backlighting
    • All marine grade wire and connectors with heat shrink tubing and connectors used throughout
    • All terminations and switches appropriately marked

• Single 200 gallon aluminum gas tank
    • Gasoline tank sanded and coated with a protective epoxy coating to minimize corrosion
    • 15 gallon heating oil tank for Espar cabin heater
    • USCG approved fuel lines through-*‐out
    • Racor water/fuel separator filters for each engine and diesel tank
    • Electrical fuel level sender in each gasoline tank with gauges at helm
    • Site glass level indicator on heating oil tank

• Complete installation of twin 150 hp fourstroke Yamaha outboard package and rigging components with single station helm controls, digital multi-*‐function gauges, Yamaha fuel management system, harnesses, and aluminum propellers. Outboards to be 25"shaft length and counter-*‐rotating
    • Complete Single station Teleflex Sea Star hydraulic steering system with stainless steel tie bar and steering wheel

• All neccesary documentation and manuals provided
    • Boat sea trialed and delivered to Homer, Alaska harbor

Part two, Options, Upgrades, and Add-on's

Optional add-*‐on items and upgrades:

• Increase boat length to 29’
    • Increase boat width to 10’
    • Increase cabin length to 10’6”
    • Add 6” length to dinette
    • Add 6” length to head

• Increase roof overhang to 24"
    • Two fuel tanks upgrade with combined fuel up to 300 gallons
    • Winterize boat water pump bypass like a camper
    • Digital or LED gauges for fresh water tank, grey water, black water and diesel tank
    • 33’ Triple axle Kokopelli 15,000# capacity aluminum trailer with bunks, electric drum brakes,
    side guides, tall post, heavy duty hand winch, and spare tire with mount.
    • Add transom boarding door on port side
    • Add aft helm steering station with throttle controls, storage cabinet and steering Components
    • Upgrade to 300 hp Yamaha electronic controlled outboards with dual station electroniccontrol system and Command Link Plus digital gauge system
    • Add 120 volt shore power system with 30 amp shore inlet, Combination inverter/charger
    (Pro Mariner True Power 1500QS with 1500 watts AC power and 40 amps DC
    charging power), and two interior 120 volt outlets. (one at galley and one at port helm)
    • Upgrade to aft cabin slider door by Diamond Sea Glaze
    • Bay Welding design and construction of roof electric/aluminum davit with 350# capacity
    • Upgrade Helm 740s to Garmin GPSMAP 741xs
    • Add GPSMAP 741xs to aft helm steering station
    • Add Fusion Stereo MS-IP700i
    • Add Fusion Portable Media Device Dock MS-DKIPUSB
    • Add Fusion speakers (6 total)
    • Add Fusion Amplifier and Subwoofer
    • Add 2 Fusion NMEA 200 Marine Wired Remotes MS-NRX200i
    • Add Fusion 22” LED TV MS-TV220LED w/ VESA 100 wall mount
    • Add side gunnel doors with latches – one each side – locking
    • Upgrade Captain’s seat to Bentley Patriot, rotating arms

Upgrade 36” dinette to 44” U shaped dinette

And upgrade to Wallas 87D.

Anchorage, AK

Did I read that right, you upgraded to twin 300hp Yamaha's? That thing will be a screamer. I know of a couple of 29ft and 30ft Glaciercraft's with twin 250hp Yamaha's and they're pretty powerful. I wonder what the fuel mileage will be on a 29ft with twin 300 Yammies.

Wow! She will be a beast for sure. 600hp of Yamaha madness will make that girl hotter than a $2 pistol. Congrats
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Congatulations on pulling the trigger on your build.

This minor detail caught my eye in the spec sheet: Bow towing eye Bow stem integrated with stainless steel bushing
    That is a good idea and I would have Eric due the same thing on your davit where a block would hang. The hole where the block hangs will wear over time.

I see you are going for diamond plate flooring in the cabin. I would recommend going with diamond plate for the back deck flooring as well to avoid having to deal with non-skid paint maintenance.

Personally, on an aluminum boat, I would keep paint and vinyl to a minimum due to future maintenance. I like having a boot stripe for a quick visual on how the boat is sitting in the water. But the accent paint on the house gets scratched easily and fades over time. I am biased as I need to repaint these items again.

I should be a great boat.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    Did I read that right, you upgraded to twin 300hp Yamaha's? That thing will be a screamer. I know of a couple of 29ft and 30ft Glaciercraft's with twin 250hp Yamaha's and they're pretty powerful. I wonder what the fuel mileage will be on a 29ft with twin 300 Yammies.
    Yep, twin 300's. If I can get 1.5 mpg at 30 mph I'll be happy.

AKExplore - thanks for the insight I'll ask Eric about it. Regarding cabin floor and cockpit - Cockpit comes standard with diamond plate, which reminds me that I'm also getting one 85 gallon below deck fish hold that will run parallel to the transom. BW is more familiar with building the day/beachcombing/go to the cabin boats where people put their fish in coolers so fish holds are not a standard feature, but are easily doable. I chose to have more fuel than fish hold. Ok, back to flooring, the cabin is standard diamond plate, however, I'm gonna go with the zolotone and clear coat carried onto the floor and just cover it with these cheap rubber backed floor mat from Lowes where ever shoes would go. Trim to fit and throwaway and replace when worn.

Cabin paint, accents, and decals will be all vinyl wrap/sticker type stuff. Easily replaceable after a few years or changeable as the mood strikes.

wow - That is a great build list. Making her wider will make her more spacious. Naturally, interested in the budget...225K? with all upgrades? 250K?

Wasilla, AK

Very cool! Can't wait to see it.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Congrats! Thought I had a long wait. Next spring will be awesome for you! Nice build sheet also, see you on the water...
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

Congrads on the new build, the guys at Bayweld are great to work with. Ours the, Bernie C, was completed last spring and we have sure enjoy it as you will yours. They will send you build progress pictures if you request them. If you go to their website the Bernie C is in their pictures.

27 x 9.5 Bayweld

Hello: Just read through your build sheet, it looks excellent and very much the same as our landing craft. We originally were going with BW, but wanted a diesel/jet pump application so choose a builder who specialized in such in Oregon.
    If U are ever in Anchorstink I would be glad to have U over to kick the tires and discuss what we did right and wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Hook View Post
    Congrads on the new build, the guys at Bayweld are great to work with. Ours the, Bernie C, was completed last spring and we have sure enjoy it as you will yours. They will send you build progress pictures if you request them. If you go to their website the Bernie C is in their pictures.

27 x 9.5 Bayweld
    Yep, I've seen the Bernie C. I really like your cockpit enclosure. Had to take that off the build list, but will probably add something similar after delivery, 2nd season. I need a project manager who knows how to stick to a budget, cause I'm not doing so well

BW is truly top notch from the personnel to the product. I drool excessively every time I'm in their shop. Stopped in today for a quick pow wow about a possible 26 x 9 build.
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services:

Did not see a bow thruster or I missed it. Would highly recommend, I would not be with out one.

300 HP x 2 WOW thats going to be a fun ride, would like to see how fast it is out of the hole.

It will be fun watching the build.

By the way Galadrial in the front office is a jewel, she will send you a ton of pictures as it is being built and let you know if something major is happening so you can see it. Just ask her.

27 Bayweld

Whitesboro, Texas

This will be a good build to follow.

Amen Hook!
    Definitely add the bow thruster since the budget is clearly being modified
    Check out Quickwater Adventure water taxi/transport services:

Default Bay Weld Build

I'll third what Hook said about the bow thruster. It's saved me from a bunch of scratches and dings for sure! You'd be surprised how much wind that cabin is going to catch. And having the outboards close together and so far back from center, you don't get as much twin screw action as you'd like. Plus it makes pulling over bouys super easy.

600 hp is going to move! You'll get 1.5 mpg no problem would be my guess, would think 1.6-1.7 depending on loading wouldn't be unreasonable. And I'll throw a guess out of 43-44 Kts wao.

I might have missed it, but I would also go for the bottom paint. (I know it's $!, but that's an expensive piece of aluminum!)
    Where do you plan on keeping it? If you're going to moor in Homer; the paint is even more important.

Also, just a personal preference note; get the biggest, nastiest wash down pump available.

Good luck with your build, it'll be fun!

Default Bay Weld Build

Ps. Give Eric a hard time, he's good for it!

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast