Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300 blackout load ?

Default 300 blackout load ?

Any one loading the 300 blackout for a bolt gun. More specifically 240gr Sierra match kings with good results. Can find lots of data for the 220's .
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.”--Benjamin Franklin

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Extrapolate as you see fit... Rem mod 7 SBR, 10" bbl, 1-8 twist, suppressed, once fired lake city brass from Brads wearhouse, Rem small rifle bench rest primrrs, Hornady 225 gr hp bt over 9.5 gr of VV N110 = MOA or better at 100 yds, velocity around 1050 fps, very, spooky, stupid quiet.

Good luck
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Forgot to mention... when loading for subs, bullet weight has only a minimal effect on velocity change per given powder charge. Bullet length, composition and bearing area are far more substantial. 9 gr of VV N110 should get you close to the sweet spot.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by chansen View Post
    Any one loading the 300 blackout for a bolt gun. More specifically 240gr Sierra match kings with good results. Can find lots of data for the 220's .
    seat the bullet out as far as it will go and I add as much powder as I see fit. I don't pay any attention to reloading manuals because those are for rookies. I watch the chronograph until the number is as large as I expect it to be. When that number is big enough, I look through my spotter to make sure it's MOA or better at 100yds.

Then I shoot at 300 to make sure the rifle is still grouping sub-MOA. Then I load a schit ton of ammo and shoot until I'm out of ammo and hopefully I took the time to write down how much powder I used and I just load more of the same.

Here you go
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 300 blackout.png  

last one rambone
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 300blackout1.png  

The OP didn’t mention if he was trying to load sub-sonic or if he was using in conjunction with a suppressor/silencer. That said, I tried the following powders with the intention of finding an accurate sub-sonic load with either the Sierra 220 gr hp bt, or the Hornady 225 gr hp bt

My results differ a bit from the published data, but I think every rifle is unique in this regard

Alliant Unique = extreme velocity spread and pierced primers and sticky extraction at around 860 fps which was 6.0 gr of powder
    Alliant RL #7 = 11.4 gr was a compressed load, velocity was low @ 981 fps
    Accurate 1680 = 11.2 gr was a good load @ 1024 fps and is reportedly the go-to load for autoloaders. I found it too smoky with the silencer.
    IMR 4198 = tried 10.2 gr to 10.7 gr and the extreme spread was always high and the loads not very accurate
    Hodgdon H110 = 9.6 gr gave 1041 fps and decent accuracy. This was a load the 300 Whisper guys have been shooting for years. A little smoky.
    Hodgdon H4895 = 14.0 gr gave 1044 fps and decent accuracy. Was a bit too smoky for suppressed use
    VihtaVuori N110 = 9.0 gr gave 1050 fps, great accuracy, no smoke. This is the one I went with

I didn’t like many of these powders due to the smoke they produced, which would linger for quite some time trapped in the baffles of the silencer, leaving a steady wisp of smoke coming out that would obscure my vision thru the scope on calm days.

Forgot to mention... unlike normal load development, working up loads that are specifically intended for subsonic use and trying to hit a specific target velocity requires a bit more work than one would think. You should also start closer to the max charge and work your way down, which is exactly the opposite of what one normally does with load development. The problems with working up these slow loads, is that if you start too low on your powder charges, you could actually stick a bullet in the barrel. I won't list the load or powder, but I will say that I had one load that was going so slow that I could actually see the bullet go down range as it leisurely pooped out of the end of the barrel...

Keep forgetting stuff! If you plan to shoot with a silencer, you should do your load development without it installed on the rifle. I tried many different bullet and powder combinations and more than a few failed to stabilize in my 1-8" twist barrel as was evident by the key-holes in the target. An unstable bullet could very well contact the baffles or end cap of a silencer resulting in damage. Once you have determined that your load is on spec for velocity and is stable, then you can finish up fine tuning the load for use with the silencer, which in my experience will general add anywhere from 10 to 25 fps to the velocity of any given sub-sonic load. I know this seems nonsensical, but I have observed it on every load... I just can't explain it...

Point of impact shift with the silencer attached and detached was significant in my application. Many silencer manufactures claim a minimal POI shift with their products, however I think it is more a function of altered barrel harmonics than silencer design, but I couldn’t say for sure. At any rate, final dial in with the scope should be done with the rifle configured as you intend to shoot it.

Some good loads here thanks. Definetly trying to stay subsonic. Shooting an AAC micro 7 and a Specwar 7.62 suppressor.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.”--Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by chansen View Post
    Some good loads here thanks. Definetly trying to stay subsonic. Shooting an AAC micro 7 and a Specwar 7.62 suppressor.
    Hey, how does your Micro 7 do with feeding and ejecting? I have a custom model 7 and had to build a spacer that fits between the magazine spring and the follower to get it to reliably feed.. occasionally I will still get one were the bolt fails to strip a round and simply goes over the cartridge.

It strips and feeds perfect no issues. Read about the spacer problem on the earlier production micro 7. Wish I could find a mag conversion like its big brother love the gun but loading it I have to fight the scope.

I went with 2 piece leupold QRW bases and medium rings. Lots of room now...

You can dremel off the portion of the rear base that hangs over the bolt for extra room if you want..

some good info... going to Birchwood Mon & Tues for some first time load workups (supers w/H110). Once I have plinking rounds dialed in it's time for the sub work, even tho my can is months away. Got a Valley Arms 8½ barrel on mine. Just wish I could find some ****ed powder!! Been having fun in QuickLoad with different loads, but way more powders in that then I have ever seen on shelves...
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

9.9 grs H110 if you want subsonic with the 240 smk's. If you want better bump it up to 15 grs

Do you guys think a 300 BLK without a suppressor, full load round would make a good deer gun? It is a 30 cal bullet? Thoughts??
    It's better to burn out than fade away.....

Would more than do the job for deer hunting lots of options for good bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Fishkiller View Post
    Do you guys think a 300 BLK without a suppressor, full load round would make a good deer gun? It is a 30 cal bullet? Thoughts??
    It's not all that far off 30-30 power so I'd say it would do a dandy job on deer to 100 yards, especially little blacktail.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Last Fall #2 son killed a 170 lb mule doe with the BO, I think with a 110 gr Sierra spire point. She took a couple steps and fell over DRT. They kill as good as the .30-30 in an AR but the AR doesn't carry as nice as a model 94. Every time I bring that up #2 son just laughs and calls me a old flart...guilty as charged.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast