Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dangerous Deshka

Default Dangerous Deshka

Just returned from the Deshka, and feel lucky I did. Too many big inboard jets running that stream. Inboards are just too big and too heavy to be running in the water as low as it was today. The water is so low they have to go way to fast to get out of the places they shouldn't be in the first place. Some pretty dangerous operators out there, too. It may be time to say no inboards above a certain point in the river...or no inboards unless the water is a certain level.

There are dangerous boat operators everywhere. Anytime you have a congested body of water there will be problems, take Big Lake as an example. Every time I am about to round a corner an image of another boat coming head on in the opposite direction flashes in my head. And to kick me in the gonads even more the guy mirrors my every move.

As far as a limited boat restriction, I doubt that will ever fly.

Why just inboards lets outlaw the airboats also. Ha I know we will just allow rafts? 80 percent of the boats on the river are inboards me included yes there are people who shouldnt be running any boat inboard or out board. I have just as much right to the river as anyone else. I will tell Im sorry you had a bad day on the river because of a select few boat drivers but thats no reason to say no more inboards.

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    Why just inboards lets outlaw the airboats also. Ha I know we will just allow rafts? 80 percent of the boats on the river are inboards me included yes there are people who shouldnt be running any boat inboard or out board. I have just as much right to the river as anyone else. I will tell Im sorry you had a bad day on the river because of a select few boat drivers but thats no reason to say no more inboards.

When boat restrictions were enforced on the Kenai almost every boater was sure that it was the worst idea imaginable. In retrospect it's been the best thing that could have happened to the Kenai in many respects, not the least of which is safety.

Sorry you had a bad day on the Deshka, but hey there a ton of other places to fish. When you go to the BIG city do you expect to have the whole park to your self? When you go to a very access able place by boats and a low water time you get what you get. Lets not cut your hand off because you broke a finger. Sorry but it gets to me when people want to bring the lower 48 rules and regs to AK because they had a bad day and things didn't go there way. I have just as much right to take my inboard jet up the Deshka as Mr Rubber boat has to float it. What it is--Is what it is, try another fishery. Now I will get off my soap box......

Quote Originally Posted by Jimw View Post
    What it is--Is what it is, try another fishery.
    The door swings both ways....yes?

Let me guess. When you apply your concept to others it's wisdom. When they apply your concept to you it's crap. Right?

Not at all. There is no wisdom involved. My opinion is my opinion. If it doesnt agree with yours it is OK we will all survive. I have been lurking in the back ground reading some of stuff you shovel out Mr Pid, and if it is not yours there is a problem. The Deshka is no different than the Russian, Clear Creek, or road accessable fishing, lots of traffic yes crowds yes. When you fish it you make the choice to do so. In doing that you take it for what it is, crowed and a high traffic area. Yes there are people that should not be piloting a boat in congested areas, but that is makes this country great, you have the right to do so. Some of these people may be rookies, and we learn by doing, it might not be their best choice to learn in this area.

Mr. Pid

So what are you saying, those who have a inboard shouldn't be allowed to run them? I take it you run a outboard. I wonder how much money the Deska Landing would loose if that happened? Look in the parking lot everytime Im at the landing I see a lot of inboard. And if you like the kenia fish it but my guess is your outboard is too big to run the kenia.

I'm not saying that at all. I like boats. All boats. I just don't think that one user group has the "right" to destroy the use for another user group. As I said, that door swings both ways. Telling the other users to "find another fishery" doesn't ever sit well with me. All users of the resource need to find an acceptable compromise. Hopefully, cool heads will prevail.

I think a better solution is boat operator licensing. An inexperienced and unlicensed driver can't legally drive on the roads. Why are rivers any different? Troopers can cite you for improper operation of a motor vehicle in a boat. There should be some minimum training requirement that should be met before rookies with money can operate very fast jet boats on small public waterways. As has been implied by some of you, the boat isn't the threat. The driver is.

Destroying it. HMMMM that is a strong word, they my make it unfavorable or undesirable, but destroying it I don’t know. I was a little concerned that a thread would got started on a Power boating form, talking ill of what the form in about. Oh well… As for an operator license OK I can bite on that. Then shouldn’t you have to license the senior citizen that buys the 50’ class A diesel pusher with the lap dog in the front window. Sitting in his house on wheels with there oxygen tube in there nose hoping they don’t have a heart attach driving what amounts to a greyhound bus at 65 mph. Where does the licensing end. If you purchase a new boat, be it inboard or out board where do you put in the time to acquire the skills to operate the boat well enough to past a test?

it is unfortunate that you let a few <jerks> formulate your opinion...
    Last edited by Webmaster; 06-01-2007 at 22:55. Reason: Language

Default Low water and big ole boats

My guess is those people driving them big old boats up that teeny little river know what they are doing or they would be pushing and pulling,so much for the minimum training issue. The water level is extordinarily low for this time of the year and there is no way to know that without taking a ride, and then you are committed. I went up a few miles myself in my big old boat last week before the rain and did not go far before my toes were curling up and puckers elsewhere, only tapped bottom once on the way down did not see other inboards just a few teeny boats and they were probably cussing me too. Come back towards the end of July and you can cuss the airboats cause that river dries up every summer and then me and all my big old boat driving friends have to find somewhere else to go, no problem. Any of you big ole boat drivers get annoyed with all those teeny little boats trolling all around you down at the mouth tangling up your lines, isn't there something our legislators or police could do?

Default which area is a good choice?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimw View Post
    Some of these people may be rookies, and we learn by doing, it might not be their best choice to learn in this area.
    Not to highjack this thread but in your opinion where is a good place to learn. I have been staying away from Deshka up to now because its crazy busy. What is a good launch/river to practice your jet boat skills?

We learn by driving the boat yes its good to take class if you can. But I would guess most of us have learn how to drive are boat by doing it and by sites like this one and riverjet. Like I said in my last post sorry the gentelman had a bad day on the river but Im still going to run my inboard wooly come this weekend

why outlaw inboards??????? makes no sense, i have a 13 foot inboard and just sold a 12 footer with inboard. and my boat would be able to get places most other jet boats would not be able to get.
    why not outlaw everything 16 foot and over????????????? just kidding .
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Hey Deak
    you can get a good education on the Big Su. I cut my teeth on the Talkeetna, Big Su and Birch creek slough. The Talkeetna and Birch are some what tech water. I did my first season following a very seasoned driver on the Talkeetna and Birch and asked a ton question and was tought how to read water and some solo trial an error. Put in some time on a lake so you get the feel for the boat. RiverJet is a good source of info as SKYBURST said, I have been on there for a while, ( JWD700 ) and there are alot of AK'ers on there. There is a lot of good info on AK water. Have a SAFE and good weekend!!! I'm out.....
    Last edited by Jimw; 06-01-2007 at 16:43.

Default learning

Like learning anything, start small and work your way up is best. I know it probably isn't a good analogy but you dont' learn how to fly in a 747 so learning how to run a river in a $60,000 20 something foot inboard is not a really great idea. I nearly destroyed a Hewescraft with an outboard jet on the Kashwitna exploring. Which is another way to learn but it is much less dangerous and cheaper to take my word for it. Don't try to take a boat you like with people you care about to the North Fork. Small clear water streams like Willow,Lake Creek and the little Su can be a challenge with an outboard jet but at least you can see the bottom. Big Su, Copper river, Kashwitna and other large glacial streams present different problems mostly cause you can't see the bottom.Some of them big waves got bigger rocks hiding underneath! If you don't believe me strap on the Kahiltna.

Some of you guys remind me of my Dad. He was one of those guys in the 22 foot inboards running up and down the Kenai in the 60's and 70's. Said "I have just as much right...blah, blah, blah." Well...look at the Kenai now. I guess he didn't have just as much right, did he.

Why would we limit big inboards on portions of the Deshka? For the same reason we don't land 747's at Willow Airport. Because they don't fit. There simply isn't enough water in some places to operate a big, heavy boat unless you apply dangerously high speeds.

I'm not against inboards. I'm not saying ban them. I'm not even saying keep them off the whole Deshka.

One guy said "sorry you had a bad day at the Deshka." Sir, it's not about having a bad day. It's about safety. Look at the Parks Hiway. Got to be too many wrecks there between Wasilla and Big Lake. They made it some special safety zone and put a bunch of cops out there. The same thing will happen to the Deshka if the big inboards (not the 12 footers) continue to operate the way I've seen. Because (more) people will be killed. Another guy said "pick another fishery" but I'll tell ya...when an average Alaskan can't take his kids out fishing on a river he's fished since he was a kid because the boat drivers are screaming around like they're in one of those Mad Max movies, we've all lost.

And it's not just the Deshka. No reason for a 24 foot hard-top Duckworth to be on the Little Su last weekend. Or the 20-22ft. blue and gold boat that nearly t-boned me last year on the Little Willow.

One guy mentioned "lower 48 rules." That's the last thing I want. But I see it coming if some of these guys don't start using common sense and realizing that they're driving 747's and not Super Cubs.

Default compromise?

O.K. I'll bite. Lets compromise, you can have the Little Su. It would make a perfect Non-motorized stream from Houston to the Burma and you could restrict the boat-motor size downstream. I do not run my inboard in that creek because it is too hard to stay on step while attempting avoid to canoes and other small craft. It is dangerous especially the upper river. Motor boats no matter what size make that river dirty, the banks are primarily dirt/mud and the wake washes the silt into the river and before long it clouds up, happens every day if it is not muddy from rain, sleep out there and watch. Lower reaches of the Deshka are generally not dangerous, it does not mud up like the Little Su, the water is just low this spring and friends there are just getting to be more and more and more of us that want to use it.

Huntnfish Im the one who said sorry about your day on the river. I used to run an outboard on the river then saved my money and got the boat I always wanted a 24 inboard. Ive seen alot of outboards and inboards drive unsafe. ITS NOT ABOUT THE BOAT ITS ABOUT THE DRIVERS OF WHAT EVER BOAT YOUR OPERATING. Maybe I dont understand what you were trying to say but it sounded like you were saying only inboards are the one who are unsafe. Im all for safety for all boaters not just inboads. I dont feel that inboards should have to limited to a time when we can run are boats.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast