Thread: Halibut Rig Feedback

Default Halibut Rig Feedback

So I thought I might enjoy making up some of my own rigs for halibut. I've got one all finished up and would love some input from you guys before I work on more and get into more complex ideas:

I thought the protective tubing was normally on the hook side?

Quote Originally Posted by border collies View Post
    So I thought I might enjoy making up some of my own rigs for halibut. I've got one all finished up and would love some input from you guys before I work on more and get into more complex ideas:

yeh, that'll probably work.. Halibut aren't too fussy.. it's a lot more complicated than necessary as well as a lot more costly to produce. but as i said, halibut aren't too fussy, they are not leader shy.. they are only interested in something tasty to eat..

Looks like it'll work, though moe complicated than needed IMO. Rocky or mud bottom? Really if you just did a long line 24" with a 3 way swivel in the middle, added 8 inches of leader off the swivel it'd be the same. Sinker on bottom, think T shaped. Round sinker in rocks, cod sinker in mud.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

I used to make rigs like that. It is fun in the winter and I would not tell anyone that they shouldn't. What I personally found is that some gangion with a corkscrew type swivel on the bottom for a weight, and two loops for two 20/0 circle hooks (helps eliminate small fish) above loaded with good bait worked best for me. I love to tie flies, so I really wanted to come up with something more complicated, but the fish did not cooperate.

I see some value in it, for helping keep the bait from swinging up and "pinwheeling" around the line when sinking it quickly to the bottom on a long drop. I've seen some real messes and loss of bigger fish from that. I make something similar with a double hook for rigging whole herring to mooch with the weight on the bottom and the herring just above it "swimming" in the current. If you've ever sent a regular mooching rig quickly to the bottom you know exactly what I'm talking about with the twists and tangles.

The difference between mine and yours, I've relied on heavy mono (300# or 500#) for the rigs, rather than the tubing as you've applied it. I'm going to incorporate the tube in mine, and glad for your post.

BTW- For crimps it's best to do a Big Game Loop before crimping. I just do two turns, but the knot bears the weight while the crimp only has to control the bitter end of the line. Never had one of these slip, even for really big bluewater fish in the tropics.

That's similar to what I do, except I keep the portion for the weight on the top half of the leader and the hook portion has a longer section.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

I used to make up rigs similar to that out of 500# mono. Then I switched to gangion and find it's really a better material to use. It seems to have the just right blend of flexibility and rigidity, and you don't have the expense and trouble of crimps. You can also soak it in herring oil to give off scent.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I used to make up rigs similar to that out of 500# mono. Then I switched to gangion and find it's really a better material to use. It seems to have the just right blend of flexibility and rigidity, and you don't have the expense and trouble of crimps. You can also soak it in herring oil to give off scent.
    Years ago I had some store bought Mono rigs that uncrimped themselves even on some relatively small fish. So like you I switched to gaignon twine and have never looked back.
    I prefer 200# test blue gaignon twine rigged with a gaignon knot. I have never had a knot come loose ever. I use mine on some spreader bars I bought from Halibut.net.
    Halibut aren't line shy and the rigs I make work great when I am not jigging.
    Border collies I am sure those mono rigs will work fine for you. When you run low on supplies buy some gaignon twine and try it out. You will not be dissapointed and they are IMHO easier to make.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Where do you guys buy your gangion twine?
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod in Wasilla View Post
    I buy mine at the gear shed in Homer.
    It runs about $25-$30 for a 1# spool.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by Rod in Wasilla View Post
    I've always bought mine from the Gear Shed in Homer..

Thanks guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Donalsons in Anchorage also carries gangion by the spool. Pretty handy stuff for attaching bait jars to shrimp pots, weights to shrimp pots, field repairs on an inflatables oar socket, etc.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

OK I am a Minnesota Walleye fisherman where stealth is everything. I just cant get used to using rope as a leader. I can tell you from the last two years we have gotten more fish on Mono than rope. I also made some leaders out of Kevlar 750lb line that I camo's with green, black and brown magic markers. Now everyone in the boat uses mono or my camo leaders as we do seem to get more fish on them. It is totally possible that its all in my head as well but I just cant use blue rope for a leader. Everyone else in the boat made the switch as well.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    OK I am a Minnesota Walleye fisherman where stealth is everything. I just cant get used to using rope as a leader. I can tell you from the last two years we have gotten more fish on Mono than rope. I also made some leaders out of Kevlar 750lb line that I camo's with green, black and brown magic markers. Now everyone in the boat uses mono or my camo leaders as we do seem to get more fish on them. It is totally possible that its all in my head as well but I just cant use blue rope for a leader. Everyone else in the boat made the switch as well.
    I struggle with using rope as a leader too. I use mono on my boat, but I have fished with charter captains that use nothing but WHITE gangion line who consistently catch lots of fish. I will admit that the gangion line twists up a little less than the 300# mono I use if people aren't careful and drop too fast. Maybe that is the answer; if everybody on the boat always drops slowly enough to avoid twists in the leader then mono is a little better. If not, then gangion is a little better.

Has anyone else done a side by side comparison?

Big_E

I am certainly not saying rope does not work! In my mind Mono or my small diameter camo line works better. The diameter of the Kevlar is so much smaller than rope as well along with a higher break strength. I certainly don't spend the time on the water the Charter guys do and on many days I don't think it makes any difference at all and on other I firmly think it does. Again just my .02

If you have a decent crimper and use the right sized crimp it is never going to pull out. Mono is my choice but I am not a huge fan of having the lead fixed to the leader. i like it to slide a little but thats personal preference. I also prefer as little hard ward and plastic stuff on my leaders as possible. Glow tubing, cow bells, spinners, rattles and various fish attracting potions do see any water time on my boat.
    \Smaller hook, lighter leader, lighter main line and less lead are my choices for halibut fishing.

I don't even use ganglion material long line fishing. Mono is clear, nearly invisible in the water, that is what every other fishery in the world uses it as leader material but if rode is working for you guys, have at it.

some of the tunafish guys i know were talking about crimping leaders. They burn the end of the line in case the crimp slips.

Ok when crimping make sure to burn your bitter end into a mushroom
    Should your crimp not hold the mushroom will jam in the crimp and buy you some much needed time
    crimp.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692