Thread: Alaska RV Vacation........initial questions.

Default Alaska RV Vacation........initial questions.

Since my first trip to AK last June I want to plan a return trip for approx 10 days or so. One of the options for the vacation is to rent an RV from one of the many place in/around ANC. I have several initial questions but will have many more down the line.

1. Have found many RV rental companies in the Anchorage area. What is your experience or what have you heard from others that is the best RV rental outfit to use? Or at least which of the top 3 should I investigate further? Any to avoid?

2. Our travel dates are limited by my son's school calendar. Summer vacation for his school is roughly from June 25th 'ish to the Tuesday after Labor Day so our 10 days or so would have to fall in this time frame. As far as weather, rain, bugs/skeeters, fishing opportunities, crowds, etc go; what would be the best month to visit? July or August?

3. Although we would still have the RV to travel and sleep in what is the best course of action for all the other "gear" we would need and use. Things like typical "car camping gear"? Coleman lanterns, small portable BBQs, beach type chairs, portable camp tables, extra blankets or sleeping bags, etc, etc. since I live in SoCal I can really fly this gear up there and would not make sense to buy and then do what with it after the trip? Maybe cheap enough to air freight it up? I do have a branch office in ANC I could ship gear to I suppose. Cost may be prohibitive though. Thoughts on this?

Thanks for your thoughts so far.

Following because RV rental might be a good idea for summer vacation if cheaper than hotel.

As far as car camping stuff, I recommend hitting up Fred Meyers or Walmart. There is no need to drop a lot of coin on this stuff for a ten day trip. I'd hit those two places up and get some cheaper decent stuff. Place an ad on CL just before you leave the state and hopefully you get a bite on it or just donate the stuff to the local goodwill.

As far as bugs...they are going to be here. No getting around them until winter

Default If it were me...

I'd make a loop from Anchorage up to Fairbanks, down to Valdez, then back to Anchorage. If you can find an outfit that'll rent RV's capable of gravel roads then you MUST go across the Denali highway(with spare tire(s) and a plug kit).

Grab a copy of The Highway Angler http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...ngler&x=42&y=6

Visit in July to enjoy the 24 hr daylight.

Enjoy!
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

With regard to RV rental companies, I highly recommend Great Alaskan Holiday. I have rented with them six tomes and never a disappointment. Great rigs, very clean, good price, no hassle, great service!

Scott

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

I would suggest that you check out the Alaska forum at tripadvisor. There is a lot of great info about traveling our great state in a RV. There are a lot of good trip reports there to check out.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum...49-Alaska.html

Get an Alaska Milepost. Amazon has them.

http://www.milepost.com/

Great Alaskan Holidays and ABC are the most popular.

http://www.greatalaskanholidays.com/

http://www.abcmotorhome.com/

If you get an RV there will be no need for camping gear unless you are planning to camp also.

Thanks for all the replies. Keep them coming if anyone else has some thoughts.

One me thing has stumped me. Several have highly recommended GAH. The thing is, I have read some horrible reviews and some great reviews. Will have to investigate much more on them. I did see an RV Rental place called A&M RV that seems to be a rental outfit as well as a full service RV place as well and I could only find great reviews. Their prices seemed great too. This could get confusing.

As to the fishing question...July is more King and August more Silvers and Reds...King fishing is slow, but you may get one big fish(15 to 90 pounds). Silver and Red fishing is fast and lots of smaller fish (5 to 20 pounds). Grayling, Pike, and trout abound year round. I highly recommend the Milepost as well. Get one now and it will help you plan your trip :-)
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Great advice thus far from these folks..
    I would skip the lanterns given the hours of daylight.. Have yet to use one in the summer.. Maybe a good Flashlight for spotting wildlife intruders. Save a bit of $$..

Not trying to be rude, but offering up some info that many tourists might not be aware of...

Be sure to be courteous to your fellow highway travelers:

(b) A person operating a motor vehicle at any time on a two-lane roadway outside of an urban area shall pull the motor vehicle off the roadway at the first opportunity to pull over safely if there are five or more motor vehicles immediately following that motor vehicle. A person operating a motor vehicle who violates this subsection is guilty of an infraction as described in AS 28.90.010(d) and shall be punished by a fine of at least $100. - See more at: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/akstatut....HHEsYPRJ.dpuf

RV's tend to draw some ire up here in the summer when holding up traffic, as most of our highways are 2-lane and difficult to pass.

Good luck with your trip and have fun.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If you go north to Fairbanks or down towards Valdez there will not be many people during the week excerpt during July 4th week. Gas prices have really taken a toll on the rv traffic. Tons of pulloffs and free camping in these areas too. Run out to Chena Hot Springs from Fairbanks and you can find dozens of camp spots all to yourself with lots of grayling that you can fish for all night long.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

I would recommend ABC motorhome if you reserve now you seem to save money. They have rental a lot of those things your wanting.
    They also have lots of motorhomes so you wont get overbooked and not get one. They also have half day car rentals if you return the motorhome but your plane leave
    Later. 279-2000

We rented from GAH last June for Ten days, and will be again this year. I've heard FAR more positve than negative about them; a good friend usedABC last year and was also very happy. Both run some great pre season sales... We got a 31 for 1600 for 10 days this year. Not sure where they are now on sales/prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2