Thread: As newbie as they come-seeking advice

Default As newbie as they come-seeking advice

I am new to boating and am jumping in big time. As a pilot, I got kinda tired of not seeing things upclose like you can with a boat, so I bought a 1987 Koffler Lite 18' with 40hp johnson two stroke. I immediately replaced motor with brand new yamaha T50 ( high thrust). I am now finishing up a total refurb. All new wiring, new weatherproof fuse block, new seats, refinished flooring, new windshield motor, new new new. It's got a enclosed bow, walk through windshield, full canvas enclosure. And now the questions- do any of you think this boat is capable of day cruising Prince William Sound safely? (Previous owner has decals from Seward and Homer so I know it can be done). It's got a single battery, should Install a second? I'll post pics soon and I will have more questions too. Thanks in advance for any guidance, wisdom, etc.

I am not familiar with the lite model. Is this a flat bottom sled? A flat bottomed river boat has no business out there IMO. If it is similar to the Baybee I wouldn't hesitate to make day trips if you watch the water forecasts. I ran an 18' Klamath all over the Sound back when we had to load our boats on the train. Bring gear just in case you need to wait the weather out.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default This is my new boat

image.jpg
    Sorry the pic is sideways. Posted from my iPad. This is my new boat.

It will beat you up in chop but it can be done. Just note what was mentioned and bring survival gear and study the weather patterns and know that Wells Passage can be an absolute monster to cross at any given time depending on tide and winds. You will be better off on an average day in Seward inside the bay but it doesn't sound like that is what you are after.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

It can be done, just like the others above have mentioned. Don't be the guy that traveled to the launch and just have to go out on the water to justify the trip if the weather ends up turning when you get there. It will seem like an "ok" idea at the time but you will end up regretting it out on the water, been there, done that. That boat will probably be fine in a 2-3' light chop, but be prepared to duck into a bay and ride out the times that have anything that make you uncomfortable. If you are willing to pick your days and operate within your ability you will be fine in that boat.

Quote Originally Posted by ShoBoat View Post
    It's got a single battery, should Install a second?
    Can you pull start the engine? If you can you may not need one. If you can't I would have a 2nd battery.

18ft boats in PWS are a tough sell, especially the flat bottom variety. You will be able to get out of Homer around the bays and along the bluffs on good days. You are kenai legal. That is where that boat will probably shine. Be aware of the unwritten rules, there are a load of them on the Kenai, not to mention the written ones. When you get tired of a constant compromise, get two boats, one for the river and one for the ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Can you pull start the engine? If you can you may not need one. If you can't I would have a 2nd battery.
    I agree. Of course I always bring a kicker with me on long adventures, so I don't worry too much about not having a second battery.

buy a really good lumbar/back brace.....you are going to need it.