Thread: 1903 springfield

Default 1903 springfield

I have the chance to buy a nice 1903 Springfield, ser#816598 for $375. It has a nice sporter stock and an old scope, not sure what brand. My question is, is this action strong enough to have it re barreled to 458x2. I really like this rifle but don't need anymore 06s. I do a lot of bear hunting in the coastal range in Oregon and i think that this would be a good round for down here. If it would work for what i want does anyone know a good place to get it be barreled. Thanks for responding.

Probably, but wouldn't you have to open up the bolt face as well? I think it would be a better candidate to rebarrel to 35 Whelen or 9.3x62. 4 or 5 in the standard magazine and no bolt face modifications. Only other problem is finding a 'smith who can thread and chamber for Springfields. A bit more work than a surplus mauser action.

It was produced sometime in 1918 and considered a “high numbered” receiver that should have gotten the good two stage heat treat. Over #800,000 = high number and 1918 was the year of the investigation and change over so be aware this one is just over the line by a nose. That being said it’s just short of 100 years old and hasn’t come apart yet so I’d call it good to go as long as it doesn’t look like it hasn’t been shot in my lifetime.

They are a pain to rebarrel, the threads are a square cut thread. Most any smith can do it but be ready to pay more because it takes at least twice as long to cut them. I love the 03s and that one likely has the 4 grove 06 barrel on it, they shoot cast bullets very well.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Also if that is a sporter stock and in good shape (not a cut military stock) it alone is worth at least $150 and some of the fancy ones from the 50/60s bring $250-350 every time I see one on eBay.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona