Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: wolf ammo miss fires ????

  1. #1
    Member mud dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    126

    Default wolf ammo miss fires ????

    anyone hear of a miss fire problem with wolf ammo at a rate of about 3 out of 20? i have read that they have some type of primmer that is prone to this threw a mini 30 in 7.62x39 . thanks

  2. #2
    Member cjustinm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Kotz
    Posts
    1,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mud dawg View Post
    anyone hear of a miss fire problem with wolf ammo at a rate of about 3 out of 20? i have read that they have some type of primmer that is prone to this threw a mini 30 in 7.62x39 . thanks

    yeah i've had a few duds in my mini-14 (.223) but for like 6 or 7 dollars a box you cant expect too much....they are pretty much junk just fun to shoot because they are cheap.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    723

    Default

    Yeah it's low quality, supercheap ammo.

    But you get to shoot a crap load of it for the money.

  4. #4
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,889

    Default

    I have yet to have a misfire from my AK.
    Probably only shot 800 or so rounds of it though.
    It is super dirty though and requires a lot of cleaning after shooting it.

    Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  5. #5
    Member mud dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    126

    Default

    thanks for the responses guys ill get some better stuff for when i really need it to go bang.

  6. #6
    Member GrassLakeRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Grass Lake Michigan
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    I thought the mini-30 was .308 and the other is .311? In any case, most of the Russian ammo I have bought, including wolf, does it. They use military grade primers which are hard. I normally run them through again and they did fine.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Fairbanks , alaska
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mud dawg View Post
    anyone hear of a miss fire problem with wolf ammo at a rate of about 3 out of 20? i have read that they have some type of primmer that is prone to this threw a mini 30 in 7.62x39 . thanks
    Ruger Mini's and a few of their 77's have been known to have weaker firing pin springs.
    Easily fixed on the 77 but the Mini's are a bit more complicated.
    There are good smiths out there that have experiance in that field that could help. One of the reasons many Mini owners us small pistol primers in their 223's
    Could be your ammo but it may be this.
    Especialy if you leave it compressed and not in the fired position.

  8. #8
    Member Meanderthal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    288

    Default

    As previously mentioned the firing pin springs on mini 30s are a bit too weak to consistently fire Wolf or Tula ammo which are designed to function in AK-47s and similar derivatives.

    Barnaul ammo is almost as cheap and will work much better. The Silver Bear which are nickel plated and the Golden Bear which are brass plated will feed much better and foul a bit less than any of the polymer or epoxy coated stuff too.

  9. #9
    Member cjustinm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Kotz
    Posts
    1,004

    Default

    PMC works well in a Mini no misfires that i can think of. a mini thiry is not a .308...i wish it was that would be way better.

  10. #10
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    PMC works well in a Mini no misfires that i can think of. a mini thiry is not a .308...i wish it was that would be way better.
    Yea 7.62X39 ammo is .312" . . . .308" would be a lot better here in the US.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,816

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Yea 7.62X39 ammo is .312" . . . .308" would be a lot better here in the US.
    Aren't Mini 14s able to use both bullet sizes?

    And don't, some loading die sets come with both sizing dies?

    I don't delve into anything that uses a Commie Cartridge, but I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  12. #12
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Aren't Mini 14s able to use both bullet sizes?

    And don't, some loading die sets come with both sizing dies?

    I don't delve into anything that uses a Commie Cartridge, but I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

    Smitty of the North
    maybe so, I never loaded any ether . . . Always been way less than impressed with 7.62x39 but I think it's the guns more than the round. But I'm always barrel shopping and x39 has spicial barrel blanks with .311/.312" groove and faster 8 twist. I think this is why 300 Blackout is a US hit, it's true .308" and opens up a lot of bullet and barrel options.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,816

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    maybe so, I never loaded any ether . . . Always been way less than impressed with 7.62x39 but I think it's the guns more than the round. But I'm always barrel shopping and x39 has spicial barrel blanks with .311/.312" groove and faster 8 twist. I think this is why 300 Blackout is a US hit, it's true .308" and opens up a lot of bullet and barrel options.
    Now that I think of it, I think that, (maybe Speer) dies come with 2 different size expander buttons.

    I'll see if I can find it.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  14. #14
    Member Meanderthal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Aren't Mini 14s (correction: Mini 30s) able to use both bullet sizes?



    Smitty of the North
    Shamelessly copied from Brownells website:

    Ruger Mini-30 bore specs

    This rifle is chambered for the 7.62 x 39mm cartridge. This cartridge, traditionally, uses a projectile with a nominal diameter of .311 to .312 inch.

    At the time the Mini-30 was introduced very few bullet makers where producing .311/.312 inch bullets for reloading in the light 125-130 grain weight required. Ruger initiated the use of barrels with a groove dimension of .308 inch and a long tapered throat. The throat allowed the use of ammunition with .311/.312 projectiles by gradually squeezing them to the .308 diameter. In addition, ammunition loaded with more commonly available .308 diameter bullets could also be used.

    Commencing in 1992 Ruger initiated a change to using .311/.312 nominal groove diameter, 1-10 inch right hand twist barrels in all Mini-30's. It was likely well into 1993 before all rifles coming of the production line incorporated the .311/.312 barrels.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    8,816

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
    Shamelessly copied from Brownells website:

    Ruger Mini-30 bore specs

    This rifle is chambered for the 7.62 x 39mm cartridge. This cartridge, traditionally, uses a projectile with a nominal diameter of .311 to .312 inch.

    At the time the Mini-30 was introduced very few bullet makers where producing .311/.312 inch bullets for reloading in the light 125-130 grain weight required. Ruger initiated the use of barrels with a groove dimension of .308 inch and a long tapered throat. The throat allowed the use of ammunition with .311/.312 projectiles by gradually squeezing them to the .308 diameter. In addition, ammunition loaded with more commonly available .308 diameter bullets could also be used.

    Commencing in 1992 Ruger initiated a change to using .311/.312 nominal groove diameter, 1-10 inch right hand twist barrels in all Mini-30's. It was likely well into 1993 before all rifles coming of the production line incorporated the .311/.312 barrels.
    OK, Thanks. That clears that up.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  16. #16
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Well it's good shameless copping, I never knew they did creative stuff in them.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    wasilla
    Posts
    788

    Default

    I have shot thousands of rds over the years in 9MM, 5.56, 7.62 can maybe count on one hand any mis fires. I can a test to the part it is some of the dirtiest ammo I have ever shot but not having a lot of misfires. if it was my weapon and I was getting misfires I would start looking at the the firing system and see if there is some gunk in the bolt or slide.

    Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

  18. #18
    Member tabmarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Just yards from the Big Su
    Posts
    328

    Default

    In my experience the wolf is just fine in a AK.......Just don't use wolf 223 in your AR
    If we all agreed....this would be no fun

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •