Thread: Alaska lessons and rentals for a military pilot

Default Alaska lessons and rentals for a military pilot

Howdy,

I'm new in Alaska, here to fly fighters out of JBER. I have ZERO general aviation experience, but about 350 hours (plus at least 1000 hrs sim) in high performance single engine turboprops and multi-engine low bypass turbofans. I do understand that this type of flying is very different from GA flying. I plan on taking the FAA military competency exam which will give me my SEL, MEL Commerical certificate (I think I'm saying that right).

Here's the deal. I want to get qualified in an airplane that is relatively fun, relatively inexpensive, and can carry up to 4 people, so that when family and friends come in town I can show them around Alaska. I also want to take enough lessons that I can appreciate the unique challenges in civilian aviation, and get familiar with the Alaskan local area and its unique weather/terrain/airspace risks.

Anyone have any recommendations for (1) instructors/schools and (2) types of aircraft to rent and where to rent them?

Thanks for any help.

You should go visit the Aero Club over on the Elmendorf side. The rental and instruction rates are alright and they are located right there on base.

jhamme4 hit the nail on the head. Definitely look into the aero club on base. They even have a 172 on floats you can get checked out in http://www.jberaeroclub.com/

The best tail-wheel bush flying instructor is Jay Baldwin up in Palmer.
    The best float-plane instructor is me.
    The Aero Club is a good option due to your geographic location, although being connected to the A.F. presents its own set of delays and paperwork.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Give this company a call and do some flying with Tim. http://www.flyapa.net started out flying small stuff out of Kenai and now is working the big iron. Still young enough to remember and care about all the regulation crap and experienced enough to show you what really matters!! Birchwood is close and a great place to fly out of. As far as rental the only questioned is can you land on dirt runways or sandbars with the rental. Not to worry, The Knick tour by plane is almost always the highlight of any visitors trip and it can be done out of Anchorage with ease. Remember Valdez competition is coming up in May so book rooms now!!
    DENNY

By the sounds of it you are straight out of pilot training. What are you flying? Their are a few guys that I know in the 17s that have gone through the aero club and others that decided to go downtown. Either way you go it's going to be fun.

I think the Aviat husky is a 4 seater? 2 seater you can get cheap but 4 seats is going to cost some money. What is you definition of fun, I fly a pitts S2B because I could never get a pilot slot with the air force, I will be upgrading to an MX2 in the next 5 years hopefully. If you take the military equivalentcy exams do you need to rent planes? If you can basicly "clep" out of all the training then just buy a plane and start flying.

If you buy a tail wheel plane you will have to get a tail wheel endorsement since there are not many if any military planes in service that are tail wheel.

I plan on going to Russia some day to go up in a mig 29, too bad the USAF does not sell hour flights in an F-15.

Be REALLY careful flying into Valdez, I have heard of horror stories of people being weathered in there for literally over a month. I bought my plane in Sitka and it took 7 months to get it out. I would not touch south east or prince William sound with a 10 ft poll unless your fully instrument rated and prepared to fly out in total crap weather. I don't think there is a lot of hangar space in valdez either so your plane will just be sitting on the ramp in the crap weather and you will eventually have to go back to work or what ever it is you do and if you do want it hangared I am sure there is no shortage of hangar owners ready to fleece you, I know one guy in Yakutat that wanted too when I called for quotes in case we got suck there.

Nope, if I ever took my pitts to the lower 48 I would fly the highway and get my extended fuel tank STCed. Its all fun and games until some guy wants 1000 a month for a hangar so your plane is not completely destroyed.

I do plan on driving into valdez this summer and bringing my own gas with me just in case they want 8/gal and 200 a night lol.

rppearso the Husky is a tandem 2 seater... I'm going to say this again, go get some experience and come back here in say, ten years, when you might actually be able to offer advice to someone...

He's back! Patients everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice, remember life is expensive and ammo is cheep!

I fly a plane that most people would piss their pants with less hours than most, getting my plane back was an epic head ach and I am well aware of all the issues with south east alaska. Why do people get this pissy attitude with me.

did you notice my question mark on the husky comment, I figured since aviat charges a gillion dollars for one it might have 4 seats.

Quote Originally Posted by Adison View Post
    He's back! Patients everyone!
    We must have patience or we may become patients!

Sorry I could not resist. Thank you Icebear for correcting my spelling the other day. I did not realize that there was a small window of time to edit posts. Thirty minutes if I recall?

Am I the only one that's happy to see rppearso back? I make it a point to read everthing he posts. He's got his own way with spelling and grammar, but to me it's kind of fun interpreting his stuff. He's got unique views and a bizarre confidence that for some reason is entertaining to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskeg56 View Post
    Am I the only one that's happy to see rppearso back? I make it a point to read everthing he posts. He's got his own way with spelling and grammar, but to me it's kind of fun interpreting his stuff. He's got unique views and a bizarre confidence that for some reason is entertaining to me.
    I feel like the dog when he cocks his head when he is trying to understand.

Awesome recommendations, thanks everyone. These forums are legit. I never think I'm going to get a good answer on a question and then I end up getting a dozen helpful perspectives. I'm going to check out JBER Aero Club to start with. Didn't even realize it was there.

Thank you, I think picking on spelling and grammer is kind of petty and this is not specificlly a debate forum so I would think people would let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by Muskeg56 View Post
    No you are not!
    Entertaining as hell!

And thats why you don't use an internet forum for any serious aviation advice…….