Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traditional broadheads for brown bear?

Default Traditional broadheads for brown bear?

I drew a DB261 tag for this fall. I've shot four black bear on the ground with my longbow and Zwickie Black Diamond heads and had no problems. I'm thinking of going with a 3-blade Snuffer because they are less apt to plane in the wind than the flatter Zwickies. In my experience with skinning Brown and Black bears, their ribs are just little whispy things, but a brown's shoulders are impressively solid. Three/four blade heads tend to chop through and leave more damage but less penetration while a two-blade tends to slice through but cause less damage and a better chance of a pass-through. Any ideas on a different head for brown bears? I have plenty of time to test and tune a new head.

If the Zwickys are working then why not stick with them? Its been my experience if the wind is blowing hard enough to effect the broad head then the feathers are really catching he** and won't be traveling straight anyway. If you want to switch to a 125 3 blade then skip the Snuffers and go with Wensel Woodsmans. The Woodsmans are much tougher and have a lower profile for better penetration. If you want heavier then the 160 Snuffers are hard to beat. An old friend of mine hunts hogs in SC exclusively with Snuffers because of the big hole they leave. He says "They just can't Snuffer through it". If you hit a brown bear's shoulder then I think you'll have the same problem with either head. A really "big" problem if he knows where it came from.

I've been happy with 2 blade eskimo's, deltas were too big imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Boud'arc View Post
    If the Zwickys are working then why not stick with them? Its been my experience if the wind is blowing hard enough to effect the broad head then the feathers are really catching he** and won't be traveling straight anyway. If you want to switch to a 125 3 blade then skip the Snuffers and go with Wensel Woodsmans. The Woodsmans are much tougher and have a lower profile for better penetration. If you want heavier then the 160 Snuffers are hard to beat. An old friend of mine hunts hogs in SC exclusively with Snuffers because of the big hole they leave. He says "They just can't Snuffer through it". If you hit a brown bear's shoulder then I think you'll have the same problem with either head. A really "big" problem if he knows where it came from.
    I've shot Zwickies out of my longbow for over 25 years and they have always worked well. They make more of a slit than a hole with flaps so I was thinking maybe I'd get a better blood trail with a three blade. I'm not hell-bent on changing broadheads, but a friend has had great bloodtrails with his Snuffers. I'm just throwing this out to get some thoughts and opinions on other heads. Some of you guys have tried a lot of different heads where I haven't.
    I'll check out the Woodsman. I didn't even know the Wensel brothers had a broadhead out. Thanks Boud'arc and TradBow!

Seriously consider the 3 blade VPA,or the new to be released 3 blade Grizzly as both will be far stronger than Snuffers or Woodsmans which sometimes have bent on hard bone impacts.
    For any chances on big shoulder impacts it is tough to beat the new version 2 blade Grizzly or if want the very best, then get the Tuffheads. These 2 blade single bevels have been proven on the words biggest game such as cape and water buffalo and will very rarely be damaged.
    I wish you the best of luck with this great tag.

Stick with the Zwickies. They are a proven broadhead.

First off, what kind of draw weight and arrow weight are you playing with?

I might add that I like and have used many Zwickie 2 and 4 blade bhs over the years and they are good and proven, however they are not in the same quality or strength league as VPA or Tuffheads , with the Grizzlies in between. A BB tag is also in another league worthy of the best broadhead imho. The 3:1 ratio Grizzlies and Tuffhead ( http://www.tuffhead.com/ ) broadheads also fly much better in strong crosswinds that my Zwickies in my experience. If you try the Grizzly the best price is straight from his site http://grizzlybroadheads.com/

I don't doubt that one broadhead is better, stronger, sharper, heavier and more scientifically designed than the next but no broadhead is magic. Put a Zwicky, Ace, Woodsman, Grizzly, VPA, Snuffer, Tuffhead on the business end of properly tuned arrow and send that arrow where it needs to go and the end result will be a dead critter. Dead is dead. I've shot several of the mentioned heads, except the Tuffheads because I refuse to by broadheads in a 3 pack, and I would never choose to shoot any of them if the wind was blowing too hard. I've watched the Hi Tech phenomena completely drive the compound market. Every year a new,faster, magical wizbang is born and is touted as the solution that renders all past wizbangs obsolete. One thing that has stayed consistent throughout time and history is a hunting weight arrow properly tuned with a razor sharp head will work every time it's placed in the vitals of it's quarry. It doesn't matter if it's a $90 head or $22 for six. I hope traditional archery doesn't head down the same high tech road and the marketers don't convince us all that heads like the Zwicky Eskimos or the Ace standard won't work anymore. Sorry for the rant.

Quote Originally Posted by 450 ktm View Post
    Seriously consider the 3 blade VPA,or the new to be released 3 blade Grizzly as both will be far stronger than Snuffers or Woodsmans which sometimes have bent on hard bone impacts.
    For any chances on big shoulder impacts it is tough to beat the new version 2 blade Grizzly or if want the very best, then get the Tuffheads. These 2 blade single bevels have been proven on the words biggest game such as cape and water buffalo and will very rarely be damaged.
    I wish you the best of luck with this great tag.
    Good tip! I'll check those out as well.

Quote Originally Posted by AKRecurveAssassin View Post
    First off, what kind of draw weight and arrow weight are you playing with?
    My arrows with broadhead weight around 625 grains. I draw 63# at 28" with a 60" longbow.

Quote Originally Posted by Boud'arc View Post
    I don't doubt that one broadhead is better, stronger, sharper, heavier and more scientifically designed than the next but no broadhead is magic. Put a Zwicky, Ace, Woodsman, Grizzly, VPA, Snuffer, Tuffhead on the business end of properly tuned arrow and send that arrow where it needs to go and the end result will be a dead critter. Dead is dead. I've shot several of the mentioned heads, except the Tuffheads because I refuse to by broadheads in a 3 pack, and I would never choose to shoot any of them if the wind was blowing too hard. I've watched the Hi Tech phenomena completely drive the compound market. Every year a new,faster, magical wizbang is born and is touted as the solution that renders all past wizbangs obsolete. One thing that has stayed consistent throughout time and history is a hunting weight arrow properly tuned with a razor sharp head will work every time it's placed in the vitals of it's quarry. It doesn't matter if it's a $90 head or $22 for six. I hope traditional archery doesn't head down the same high tech road and the marketers don't convince us all that heads like the Zwicky Eskimos or the Ace standard won't work anymore. Sorry for the rant.
    I agree with your rant. I also believe the industry has led machine shooters to believe they can shoot 100 yards (or whatever) with no problem. Whatever happened to woodsmanship? I don't care if you shoot a stick or a compound, getting a close shot while undetected is what bowhunting is all about.
    Last edited by Longbow6360; 03-09-2014 at 11:35. Reason: Cain't spel worth nuthing

Holy Cow!! I've looked up a lot of the heads you guys have suggested and I can't believe how expensive some of them are now!

Yes Sir!! It matter less about what you shoot but more about where you can put it 100% of the time.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Longbow6360 View Post
    I agree with your rant. I also believe the industry has led machine shooters to believe they can shoot 100 yards (or whatever) with no problem. Whatever happened to woodsmanship? I don't care if you shoot a stick or a compound, getting a close shot while undetected is what bowhunting is all about.
    That's the difference between good hunting and good shooting

I'm in the same boat as i have the DB293 tag this May. I'm going to try the tuffheads as I'm shooting 300grn tips and don't want to deal with weights on the broadhead. I'm still adjusting to teh change from carbon and 100gr tips, they shot way flatter, but these with a stump tumper tip drill further into stumps than my "light and fast" ever did.

I am by no means an expert in any of this btw Just dumb lucked into a setup that shoots out of my recurve nicely the first time.

if you want more of a hole jump to bleeders on the eskimo's/deltas. I have a heckuva time sharpening them but I'm terrible with a file so that means very little. I don't mess with the bleeders 99.9% of the time

There's a ton of good heads both 2's and 3's. My main concern with the 3's is cutting. I know they can and do open great holes. We're not playing with whitetails/mulies/elk/caribou etc in this case.....I personally prefer the 2's for the penetration. I opt for a deeper cut than a smaller possibly bigger hole. Its hard to turn from something that works as well as it does.

if you're concerned about the WW heads curling...nip the tip back slightly, problem solved. Ironically 'mr concretes' broadheads is the same (or at least was) the same guy making the ww, snuffers, magnus and a HOST of other heads, he's since dropped the trad line! We've shot magnus 2 blades into dang near anything we could find to test the idea and we jacked up some heads as was expected.

Personally if its working I wouldn't change a thing. Just my .02. Good luck, post pics!

Stick with the head that has been working for you and in your case itís a great head that will more than do the job. I can 100% guarantee that if you put that head in the boiler room you will have a dead bear on your hands (I can make that guarantee with pretty much any head so why not stick with a proven head?)

Boud'arc, TradBow, I think you're right. I have a ton of Deltas and Eskimos for my longbow and Brackenberry recurve and they have always impressed me when I put the arrow where it's suppose to go. I'm very good (and particular) at sharpening heads so "out of the package sharpness" means nothing to me. The price of new fancy heads and the fact that Zwickies are excellent and cheap are big enough reasons to stay with them. Like I said, I was just poking around and getting opinions. Thanks all. Chuck J.

got any tricks for sharpening the bleeders? I can get the blades without bleeders scalpel sharp....bleeders are in the way, that or I'm holding my head crooked, I'll have to get back to ya on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    got any tricks for sharpening the bleeders? I can get the blades without bleeders scalpel sharp....bleeders are in the way, that or I'm holding my head crooked, I'll have to get back to ya on that one.
    Did ya try a little Arkansas stone yet? I have pretty good luck with them. An old flat steel works magic too if you can find one. With all this Zwicky talk, I just mount some Eskimos for Javy's next week. I hear Texas is running around 60-70 degrees right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast