Thread: Guides

Default Guides

No...this is NOT a slam the guides thread. Can someone explain the difference and qualifications of the different levels of guides? You have assistant, registered, and master. Just curious. Thanks in advance.

I'm surprised this hasn't been answered yet.

I believe you qualify for assistant guide license when you serve 60 day apprentice under a Registered guide.

Then you work 3 seasons under a registered or master guide and show at least 3 letters from clients as to your performance, meet with the board and do both a written and oral test.

A registered guide qualifies for Master Guide after serving 20 consecutive seasons . I wont be offended if someone choses to correct this.

Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Interesting.........when I was an assistant guide (many moons ago) I had to pass a written test.

Price for the license was less than half what it is now too......

My last year guiding was 2000'
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

A new 'retired' Guide license .....

Sec. 08.54.608. RETIRED STATUS LICENSE. (a) On retiring from guiding or outfitting, or both, and on payment of an appropriate one-time fee, an individual who has held a license issued under AS 08.54.610, 08.54.620, or 08.54.630 that has not been suspended or revoked under AS 08.54.710 may apply for a retired status license. The retired status license shall indicate whether the individual was licensed as a master guide-outfitter, registered guide-outfitter, class-A assistant guide, or assistant guide. An individual holding a retired status license may not guide, outfit, or take charge of a camp in the state under the retired status license. A retired status license is valid for the life of the license holder and does not require renewal.
    (b)An individual with a retired status license issued under (a) of this section may apply for a new registered guide-outfitter license under AS 08.54.610, a new class-A assistant guide license under AS 08.54.620, or a new assistant guide license under AS 08.54.630.

When I got my Assistant Guides license all I needed was for a Registered Guide to write a letter. No apprentice period required, No required time in the field, No test, the license was $10.00 for two year period. I was homesteading up off the Denali Haul Road, and Rick Halford owned the Susitna Lodge so he was kind enough to write the required letter. I was working for Rick building the road back Windy Creek.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Interesting.........when I was an assistant guide (many moons ago) I had to pass a written test.

Price for the license was less than half what it is now too......

My last year guiding was 2000'

Todays law on Asst Guides licensing ....

Sec. 08.54.630. ASSISTANT GUIDE LICENSE. (a) A natural person is entitled to an assistant guide license if the person
    (1) is 18 years of age or older;
    (2) has legally hunted big game in the state during two calendar years;
    (3) possesses a first aid card issued by the Red Cross or a similar organization;
    (4) either
    (A) obtains a written recommendation from a registered guide-outfitter who intends to employ the person as an assistant guide; or
    (B) provides evidence that the person passed an assistant guide training course approved by the board; and
    (5) applies for an assistant guide license on a form provided by the department and pays the license application fee and the license fee.
    (b) An assistant guide
    (1) may not contract to guide or outfit a big game hunt;
    (2) shall be employed by a registered guide-outfitter and under the supervision of a registered guide-outfitter or class-A assistant guide while the assistant guide is in the field on guided hunts; and
    (3) may not take charge of a camp or provide guide services unless the contracting registered guide-outfitter is in the field and participating in the contracted hunt or a registered guide-outfitter or class-A assistant guide employed by the contracting guide is physically present and supervising the hunt.

Qualifications for an Assistant Guide License. A natural person is entitled to an assistant guide license if the person
    1. is at least 18 years of age or older;
    2. has legally hunted big game in the State of Alaska for at least 30 days in a calendar year or a cumulative total of 60
    days of big game hunting activity over a period longer than two years, if at least 30 of the 60 days is spent working in a
    guide camp or supervised by a licensed guide while performing guide-related duties. Documented completion of a
    board approved assistant guide training course may count for 10 days.
    3. possess as valid first aid (basic first aid) card issued through the American Red Cross or similar organization;
    4. submits a written recommendation from a Registered Guide-Outfitter who intends to employ the applicant as an
    Assistant Guide; and
    5. meets the eligibility requirements set out in AS 08.54.605.
    The following must be submitted to the above address:
    1. A check or money order payable to the State of Alaska as follows:
     Resident license fee: $560.00 ($200.00 application fee (nonrefundable) and $360.00 license fee)
     Nonresident license fee: $920.00 ($200.00 application fee (nonrefundable) and $720.00 license fee)
    2. Completed, notarized or postmaster-stamped application.
    3. Completed “Authorization and Release” form.
    4. Two complete reports of criminal justice information and fish and wildlife violations under AS 12.62. The Alaska reports
    can be obtained by contacting the Department of Public Safety, Alaska Wildlife Troopers at any of the following
    locations on page 3 and 4. You will need to purchase a criminal history report and make a point of asking for the fish &
    wildlife violation report with it. The latter cannot be purchased by itself. It is run as a free add-on to a criminal history,
    but you must make a point of asking for it, or else it won't be run.
    In addition of the two Alaska reports, if a state other than Alaska is your primary state of residence, you must submit two
    equivalent reports from your state of residency. Nonresident applicant will need to contact your state troopers office to
    obtain the report of criminal justice information and the report of fish and wildlife violations.
    5. Verification of licensure status from each state, or Canadian jurisdiction, where you hold or have held a license to
    provide guiding, outfitting, transportation, or other hunting services license, if any, which is to be submitted directly to
    the Division of Corporations, Business and Professional Licensing from the issuing government body.
    6. Copy of valid first aid (basic first aid) card issued by the American Red Cross or similar organization.
    7. Letter of recommendation from a Registered Guide-Outfitter who intends to employ you as an Assistant Guide.

and this pertains to all Guide Licenses ....

Sec. 08.54.605. ELIGIBILITY FOR LICENSES. (a) Notwithstanding AS 08.54.610, 08.54.620, 08.54.630, 08.54.650, and 08.54.660, a person may not receive or renew a registered guide-outfitter license, master guide-outfitter license, class-A assistant guide license, assistant guide license, or transporter license if
    (1) the person has been convicted of
    (A) a violation of a state or federal hunting, guiding, or transportation services statute or regulation for which
    (i) the person was imprisoned for more than five days within the previous five years;
    (ii) an unsuspended fine of more than $2,000 was imposed in the previous 12 months;
    (iii) an unsuspended fine of more than $3,000 was imposed in the previous 36 months; or
    (iv) an unsuspended fine of more than $5,000 was imposed in the previous 60 months;
    (B) a felony within the last five years; or
    (C) a felony offense against the person under AS 11.41 within the last 10 years; or
    (2) the person’s right to obtain, or exercise the privileges granted by, a hunting, guiding, outfitting, or transportation services license is suspended or revoked in this state or another state or in Canada.
    (b) Notwithstanding (a) of this section, (a)(1)(B) and (C) of this section are not applicable to offenses committed by a person who receives or received any class of guide license or a transporter license under sec. 13, ch 33, SLA 1996, if the offense was committed before May 23, 1996. This subsection does not apply when a person applies for a license that is different from the class of guide license or the transporter license received under sec. 13, ch 33, SLA 1996.
    (c) A person may not receive a certification for a game management unit if the person is prohibited by (a) of this section from receiving or renewing a registered guide-outfitter license or master guide-outfitter license.

Can also find the information on the inter-net. Google the guestion

This is the inter-net
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Lol why yes yes it is!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

You left out Class A assistant guide. That too can be found in the Statutes and Regulations, Big Game Commercial Services Board. Just curious as to why you asked? You interested in becoming an assistant guide? Or you just making sure they don't come as a SUPRISE in a box of cereal, such as Fruit Loops?