Thread: Glacier Travel Course

Default Glacier Travel Course

I hope there isn't a probably posting in multiple areas but it fits in both and I was looking to put it somewhere with a little more foot travel, so here it is. I am thinking about taking AMS's Glacier travel and crevasse rescue course for purpose that sheep hunting will inevitably take me near/on glaciers. I was wondering if anyone has taken this course or has a different suggestion to gain some experience on glaciers. My general plan will be to be travelling with one other individual or possibly alone which is my concern as it seems they focus on 3-4 man teams. I know there are ways of using dead mans for individual travel and I don't intend to travel alone until I am comfortable on the ice. Thank You.

rcburn,

I have not taken the glacier travel course you mentioned, But I have spent some time on glaciers and glacial moraine while sheephunting. I think the bottom line is to have common sense and use alot of risk management. I have been on a couple solo hunts where I've looked down a glacial crevasse where it was so deep/and dark, I couldn't see the bottom, and the first thought in my mind was, If i ended down there, nothing in my pack would get me out and most likely my sat phone wouldn't even get a signal. Glaciers are no joke, they make me nervous, and I would say the course would not hurt at all, any more information would always help. I'm sure its a course using all the right gear, Ice axe, alpine harness, crampons, belay devices, rappelling rope, spring loaded cams etc etc....not items a sheephunter would carry (maybe ice axe and crampons) for added weight in the pack. Hunting or traveling with a buddy is the smart thing to do no doubt, but sometimes it's hard gettin someone to go.

The Coast Guard sent me to that course in Talkeetna. Nothing against AMS or the folks instructing but I didnt take anything away from the course personally. It's geared mainly towards folks interested in climbing and they use alot of ropes, pulleys and climbing gear that I don't use, nor am interested in using. As far as the glacier travel it's pretty common sense in my opinion. They had 3-4 of us roped together across the glacier during the course, and again I would never do that during a Sheep hunt. I had some fun doing the course but would never take it again with my own funds.

I did the AMS course a number of years ago. I enjoyed it and found it to be a worthwhile entry level course for glacier travel. Self rescue is very important, especially in a two person team! Having a professional teach me the right way to do the little things was important to me. I did take the course for mountaineering, but consider the hands-on training useful on mountain hunts too.

I also highly recommend getting the book "Glacier Mountaineering" by Andy Tyson and Mike Clelland- excellent resource for beginning glacier travel!

Both myself and my sheep hunting partner at the time took the course and came away with not only an appreciation of glaciers and glacier travel but quite a few pearls I have found useful for mountain hunting/camping in the years since. Highly recommended.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

Thank You for the replies, and all things considered I think I am going to go ahead and take the class. The way I look at it, worst comes to worst I am out about $500, yes that's a big deal for me but so is making it back from every hunt safe. But again thanks for the input guys.