Thread: Looking for Advice for DIY Late June - Early July Float Trip in Lake Clark, Katmai

Default Looking for Advice for DIY Late June - Early July Float Trip in Lake Clark, Katmai

I love local in Eagle River.

I have 9 days set aside at the transition of the two months to do a fly out float trip. Group is looking to fly fish C&R for rainbows and kings.

I have floated some of the Susitna clearwater streams (Talachulitna, Lake Creek, Clear Creek) and really enjoyed those. We are looking to see some new area and push over to the Katmai, Lake Clark, and Nushagak drainages. We recognize this will incur a lot more expense, especially since we want to fly out of lake Hood. We want to fly from Anchorage because we don't have a lot of time and I don't want to mess around with freighting gear to a village, getting organized there, buying food in the village, or renting gear from an air charter, etc. I like my boat, my cooler, my tent and my stuff and don't want to rent gear sight unseen. This makes the trip more expensive but still a heck of a lot cheaper than a week at a lodge, even if it takes two flights.

Have done some looking and narrowed it down, kind of, to the following with some of the unique issues I have read about with each.

Alagnak (sounds like this gets A LOT of traffic due to it's quality and the CLI float)
    Uppper Mulchatna from Half Cabin Down (read this blows out a lot with rain and is less consistent than other rivers)
    Chilikadrotna (read fishing is not as great as other rivers due to distance from SALT and the time of the year, but WW And scenery is great)
    Stuyahok or Koktuli (not sure how the rainbow or king fishing is on these, haven't read much other than it's pretty average)
    Upper Nushagak (great kings run and good rainbows, but it's A LONG $$$$$ ways from lake hood in a float plane)

Searching online yields guide services and lodges that understandably advertise their home waters as the best thing in Alaska, and isn't helping me narrow it down. Looking for any personal experiences, knowledge or opinions.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Cody

From your list, I only have experience on the Alagnak. There are a fair number of people, but late June/Early July should be the right time for what you are after. Make sure to look at flight services from Kenai or Homer. You should be able to find a beaver at either of those places, and you may end up with a lot less flight time/cost if you are willing to drive a few hours from Anchorage.

The only advice that I can give is to be prepared for insects. Trillions and trillions of insects. Clouds of them. They will go inside your nose, in your ears, you will swallow many. If given the chance, the white socks will dig into your scalp and leave lumps on your head. They will travel under your clothing and leave welts on any available skin. They are very fond of belly buttons for some reason. If the bugs are leaving you alone, it is raining or the wind is howling. The fishing should be good though. Have fun!

Didn't think of that.....but indeed the worst bugs I've ever seen was June on the Koktuli......we prayed for a breeze. Skeeters were so bad they pounded you in the sunlight with decent breeze. Nighttime was hell. I was the only one who had the brains to bring a headnet.....I nearly got lynched for it. The kings won't be in the upper Nush drainages until mid July in any decent numbers....Koktuli included.

Alagnak has great chunky bows, the upper nush has bunches of them but they are not the largest considering you are in Bristol Bay....Koktuli, Stu and upper Mulchatna are decent bow fishing but nothing spectacular.

Moraine Creek is even closer and for sure has some great bow fishing.....bear viewers swoop out from the Kenai Peninsula daily in the salmon season.

Moraine Creek late July-August = Awesome Fishing. However, in early July you will have a nice wilderness experience since no one will be around and there is a reason for that. Unfortunately, even in "remote" Bristol bay you are going to have company when/wherever there is a good bite.
    The bugs that folks have mentioned can be bad, and unfortunately (as I am sure you already know) you will have to deal with them. However, I have spent a considerable amount of time out in that area and the bugs can easily be dealt with. Long sleves, headnet, and tuck in your shirt. Deet never hurts to have around either, but I rarely had to resort to that.

Thanks fellas