Thread: Bear baiting near coldfoot

Default Bear baiting near coldfoot

Anyone know of the black bear populations north of the Yukon bridge to coldfoot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo907 View Post
    Anyone know of the black bear populations north of the Yukon bridge to coldfoot?

Lots, and lots.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

like steve says lots and lots.. that said.. i have never seen one north of cold foot.. they thin out dramatically after the first Koyokuk crossing.. and rosie is as far north as i have ever seen one.. then its alllll grizz.. I used to blade the road up that way..

there are a TON of baiters in the first 20 miles after the Yukon bridge,, and then sporadically at off road access points north, but by the time you get to Bonanza creek they have thinned right out.. Jim river valley is full of bears. and only the local shift workers are baiting or hunting that area.. mostly
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Partner killed one just north of the South Fork Koyukuk bridge back in the day. In 3 years of driving the road as pipeline security I never saw a black bear north of Coldfoot. Vince's advice is solid.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Thanks for the info guys! Much appreciated!

When you say a ton of baiters within the first twenty miles, are they all using the old gravel pits n such? I wouldn't have guessed it being so crowded with ppl being archery only and walk in. I really wish F n G would post a map so we aren't ontop of someone after a long drive. I'd be the first to advertise where I'm set up.

F&G use to have a board that had everybodies bait site on it and all people did was complain about that board. You could see the very heavily baited areas.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Fact of the matter is, just like shrimp pot thieves, there are folks who will use the information gleaned from advertising bait station locations for their own agendas, to include:

Hunt other peoples site/area without permission,
    Sabotage other peoples site
    Set up their own site near others because there must be gobs of bears there

That being said, I'm 100% against advertising to the world of my exact hunting location.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

When you say a ton of baiters within the first twenty miles, are they all using the old gravel pits n such? I wouldn't have guessed it being so crowded with ppl being archery only and walk in. I really wish F n G would post a map so we aren't ontop of someone after a long drive. I'd be the first to advertise where I'm set up.

every access point, or parking area off the road north of the bridge has baiters on it, the further you get from the bridge the less they become, safe parking is a key point, along that stretch up through the sandy hills.. and walk in is only a 1/4 mile.. dont know many folks that cant make that hike.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Well the more I investigate this the more I realize that every **** square inch of Alaska is covered so with that being said, move over and just hope my buffet isn't better then my neighbors. This is ridiculous, I moved out of my area on the Elliot due to high pressure so it is what it is. Hell , maybe I'll meet sum great ppl and share story's over a fire and a beer I just wanna get out!

The average hunter follows the path of least resistance. Make your own access point and enjoy the solitude.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Most of the folks that hunt up that way are soldiers and they hunt weekends. Most of them stop before the bridge since it is bow only north of the bridge. If you make a station up past the bridge and make your hunt a week long type hunt instead of trying to drive up and hunt Friday or Saturday night, you will most likely find a bear. If you can get on the Yukon there is a good number of bears along the river.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Most of the folks that hunt up that way are soldiers and they hunt weekends. Most of them stop before the bridge since it is bow only north of the bridge. If you make a station up past the bridge and make your hunt a week long type hunt instead of trying to drive up and hunt Friday or Saturday night, you will most likely find a bear. If you can get on the Yukon there is a good number of bears along the river.

holy smokes look at the bell on that leupold... Nice bears as well

We'll forget that, through thorough investigation, there are or have been 184 documented stations established north of the bridge since 2012. That's like 1 every mile
    Thanks for everyone's info but I'll be packing the boat and heading down river
    Nice bears 323!!

We'll forget that, through thorough investigation, there are or have been 184 documented stations established north of the bridge since 2012. That's like 1 every mile
    Thanks for everyone's info but I'll be packing the boat and heading down river
    Nice bears 323!!

uh you mean stid he shot those bears, that guy is a man on a mission when it comes to bears!