Thread: Nosler

Default Nosler

well I have been trying to hold out for some 180 grain Nosler partions, with no luck. I did come acrossed some E-tip, everything that i have read about them seems to be all good ie. 95% weight retained, extreme penetration, superior accuracy. Has anybody had any experence with them. If so how did you like them.

eh partitions I've recoveredee
    Quote Originally Posted by mccrimmon View Post
    well I have been trying to hold out for some 180 grain Nosler partions, with no luck. I did come acrossed some E-tip, everything that i have read about them seems to be all good ie. 95% weight retained, extreme penetration, superior accuracy. Has anybody had any experence with them. If so how did you like them.
    I've loaded E-Tips over Retumbo in a 300RUM with great results. Dropped a little bull elk in it's tracks, top of lung, shock broke the spine. Bullet was a complete pass through, very little meat damage. I would use them again for any hunt.

Partitions are good bullets but there are a lot of other good ones available. The Partitions I've seen recovered from moose taken by friends and family have been missing the front end. I'm thinking about switching to A-Frames when my supply of Partitions run out.

The E-tips shot very well out of my 300 RUM as well. .5 MOA or beter to 600 yds. Never poked any critters with them but I pulled these 2 out of semi-frozen ground behind 400 and 500 yd targets. Notice the wide and flat frontals. They would be very destructive for sure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0419.JPG  
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

I loaded some E-Tips, they proved to be very accurate, but run on the "hot" side. I believe there was even a warning in the box that warned about this. Start on the low side and work up to avoid high pressure. What caliber are you loading them for?

E tip 300WSM

Notice how much more powder used for this Accubond load as opposed to the E-Tip

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I have shot them from a 300 RUM also. Good accuracy and on par velocity. A moose and bear both died handily. The moose was about 300 yards, bullet recovered was perfect and almost 100% wt retained. They have a large bearing surface, so be conservative on the loading, and work-up.

I have worked with E-tips in 8mm, .30 and 7mm's - there is a caveat on each Nosler manual page as well as all the other locations - I coat my bullets with either moly or boron so the pressure warnings are skewed for me but I've loaded some pretty hot loads with no ill effects - these bullets do appear to run accurate though as I've had some impressive 3 shot hunting load groups at 100 but haven't shot them for 200 or 300 yd accuracy as yet - Nosler is proud of their terminal performance though !

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I loaded some E-Tips, they proved to be very accurate, but run on the "hot" side. I believe there was even a warning in the box that warned about this. Start on the low side and work up to avoid high pressure. What caliber are you loading them for?

E tip 300WSM

Notice how much more powder used for this Accubond load as opposed to the E-Tip

reloading a 300WM R-17 , Magnum primers about 67 grains starting out

If you are saying starting at 67 grain NO NO NO, that was my MAX, I shot a ladder to determine my max and this was very near that. Cut that by at least 10% and work up. If you are loading E Tips this would be a very dangerous load. Use published data and standard practices, please do not blindly follow any loads posted on the net,, even mine.. My loads are safe in MY rifle, these were posted to show the difference between E-Tips and Accubonds.
    Founding Member

Stop stop stop stop!!!! Stid's load developement was in a 300 winchester short mag (WSM) you are going to shoot these e- tips out of a 300 Winchester magnum (WM) Do not use this load data he provided if you are in fact shooting a 300 Win mag for one it might be on the low end not even minimum in the 300 win mag. Please go buy a Nosler #7 manual or better yet here you go

http://www.nosler.com/300-winchester-magnum

Missed the Win Mag instead of Short Mag carry on and sorry about that. Just don't want to see any accidents.

Be Safe

Steve
    Founding Member