Thread: red fishing or clamming?

Default red fishing or clamming?

We are coming up(my son(23 year old autistic)and myself) on July 13th. We should be down on the Kenai on the 14,15,and morning of the 16th). It is low tides and the Red's should be coming into the Kenai at that time of year.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

My son has aspergers(highly functional autistic)- He can do anything so disability is not a factor.

PM me if you don't feel comfortable posting.

Thanks;

Doug

I would watch the dipnetting reports on here like a hawk. The first big pulse of reds usually hits the Kenai on the 14th give or take two days, but that first push usually only lasts a day. When the dipnetters report a surge of fish, set yourself up 10-20 miles upriver that same day or the next and have a blast. Spend another day clamming, as that can be just silly fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I would watch the dipnetting reports on here like a hawk. The first big pulse of reds usually hits the Kenai on the 14th give or take two days, but that first push usually only lasts a day. When the dipnetters report a surge of fish, set yourself up 10-20 miles upriver that same day or the next and have a blast. Spend another day clamming, as that can be just silly fun.
    Thanks Brian;

Any hints on where to try up river? We should be heading up on Alaska airlines on the 13th. The only reason we are doing this is because my older son didn't want to go Halibut fishing in 2012(We had to get up early) so I took out my other son(who was more disable(autistic)) than my older son-that's right I have 2 autistic young adults.

I want to try in make this as great as possible.

Don't quote me on this but I believe one must be a resident to harvest clams here in Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Nylrem View Post
    Don't quote me on this but I believe one must be a resident to harvest clams here in Alaska.
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...nletclams.regs
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by Nylrem View Post

I'm really glad I came on here- That would have really sucked if I took my son out and got pinched by the game warden.

Looks like it's reds!

Thanks a lot guys!!!

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by pyrohobie View Post
    I'm really glad I came on here- That would have really sucked if I took my son out and got pinched by the game warden.

Looks like it's reds!

Thanks a lot guys!!!

Doug

Doug, you can go clamming. Read the following link, particularly the top right of page 3:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/fi...tral/clams.pdf

The previous link was to the personal use (similar to subsistence) regulations. Only residents may clam under personal use regulations (higher limits, etc), but both residents and non-residents may clam under sport regulations.

Last year's sport shellfish regulations can be found at the following link. Note that 2014's regulations are not available on ADF&G's website yet:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...cshellfish.pdf

Doug, you can go clamming.
    What he said. I've taken all kinds of non-res friends clamming over the years.....they always have a blast. And my kids have absolutely loved it since they were old enough to dig. It's great fun for those that get the hang of it, and can be a bit frustrating for those that can't. But once you figure out what to look for and how to correctly dig them, AND try not to cut yourself in the process (they don't call them RAZOR clams for nothing), then it can be a great time. If I were you I would definitely try and at least get one day in clamming. If there are lots of clams then I think you'll be glad you did. If you can, try and get there on one of the first minus tide days, as it seems that the longer people dig for them the harder it is to dig them as they seem to go down deeper. When you get some really big minus tides you can dig longer, but people have been out there for a few days and it "can" become a little tougher digging.

Unfortunately, and I haven't dug in awhile, but from what I've heard the clam populations haven't been like they used to be. You may want to ask around a bit when you get up here to make sure it will be worth your while.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Doug, you can go clamming. Read the following link, particularly the top right of page 3:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/fi...tral/clams.pdf

The previous link was to the personal use (similar to subsistence) regulations. Only residents may clam under personal use regulations (higher limits, etc), but both residents and non-residents may clam under sport regulations.

Last year's sport shellfish regulations can be found at the following link. Note that 2014's regulations are not available on ADF&G's website yet:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...cshellfish.pdf
    Thanks for the clarification, Brian. Apologies for my misleading post.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Yes, thanks for clarifying that Brian. Apparently I've needlessly been denying my visitors this experience for years. Hopefully none of them read this.

pyrohobie.....My kids have loved to dig clams since they were a lot younger than this.....

Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Wish we still had Razor Clams down here in Southeast. They are few and far between, and the areas that still have a few are closed to clamming. All due to the unhindered exploding population of sea otters.