Thread: South Fork of the Kuskokwim

Default South Fork of the Kuskokwim

I drew a Sept tag for Farewell lake area Bison in 19C and am game-planning my hunt. After doing some research I think I will probably do a float trip on the South Fork of the Kuskokwim, starting at the Rohn airstrip and getting picked up in Nikolai (I would probably camp near Egypt Mountain).

Iíve done some searches here and found a little information, but info on that specific float is a bit sparse.

My questions are:

1) Approx how long would it take to float from Egypt Mountain to Nikolai?

2) Any unusual pitfalls on that stretch of river? Bad braiding (and dragging )etc.?

3 )Fishing opportunities?

Another helpful info appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxBaglimit View Post
    I drew a Sept tag for Farewell lake area Bison in 19C and am game-planning my hunt. After doing some research I think I will probably do a float trip on the South Fork of the Kuskokwim, starting at the Rohn airstrip and getting picked up in Nikolai (I would probably camp near Egypt Mountain).

Iíve done some searches here and found a little information, but info on that specific float is a bit sparse.

My questions are:

1) Approx how long would it take to float from Egypt Mountain to Nikolai?

2) Any unusual pitfalls on that stretch of river? Bad braiding (and dragging )etc.?

3 )Fishing opportunities?

Another helpful info appreciated.
    We had a float planned from Nikolai to McGrath and we were allowing 5 days. It wasn't a hunt though. Just a float with students.

One thing I would recommend doing is finding a place to stay in Nikolai. It is like a 50 person village and I do believe daily flights are not available. If you need some help with a Nikolai contact send me a PM and I will see what I can do. I'll drop an email now to people I know in Nikolai to see what they think about the time frame.

I have floated the South Fork Kuskokwim. If you start at Rohn your main concern is going to be lots of braided channels and channel selection is going to be very important to pay attention to. Initially it may be a little work portaging your raft and gear to the main channel. There is a small slough just past the airstrip and down a steep bank, but I recommend fording the slough and carrying your raft to the main channel. Not sure how far of a portage. If I had to guess I would say 1/4 mile.

Forgot the fishing idea. There are a few small dollies and the occasional half-dead salmon that goes up that river, but the run is not substantial enough that I would bring a fishing pole along. There are a few small lakes in the Alaska Range to the South of Rohn with some excellent populations of grayling, but not anywhere near where you will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    We had a float planned from Nikolai to McGrath and we were allowing 5 days. It wasn't a hunt though. Just a float with students.

One thing I would recommend doing is finding a place to stay in Nikolai. It is like a 50 person village and I do believe daily flights are not available. If you need some help with a Nikolai contact send me a PM and I will see what I can do. I'll drop an email now to people I know in Nikolai to see what they think about the time frame.
    Flights are more like every other day. I've got that worked out, but am wondering how far the river is from the air field? I'll shoot you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I have floated the South Fork Kuskokwim. If you start at Rohn your main concern is going to be lots of braided channels and channel selection is going to be very important to pay attention to. Initially it may be a little work portaging your raft and gear to the main channel. There is a small slough just past the airstrip and down a steep bank, but I recommend fording the slough and carrying your raft to the main channel. Not sure how far of a portage. If I had to guess I would say 1/4 mile.
    Good info, thanks!