Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving back to lower 48.

Default Moving back to lower 48.

Well, my time in Alaska is coming to an end. My son was born last October and we want to be closer to family. When I came to Alaska I came with my rifles. The border crossing into Canada was not fun. They detained us, threatened us. We finally made it through though. During my time here I have bout 5 handguns and had one of mine shipped to me. Also bought an AR15, and a 10/22. So, all of those cannot go through Canada. I should never have bought so much.

From what I am reading on the ATF website, I can legally ship my rifles from myself, to myself. Any of you have experience with this? Have you used USPS or Fed Ex?

Also, can any of you recommend a FFL dealer in Anchorage that will ship my handguns?

Thank you for your time

Quote Originally Posted by ph21 View Post
    Well, my time in Alaska is coming to an end. My son was born last October and we want to be closer to family. When I came to Alaska I came with my rifles. The border crossing into Canada was not fun. They detained us, threatened us. We finally made it through though. During my time here I have bout 5 handguns and had one of mine shipped to me. Also bought an AR15, and a 10/22. So, all of those cannot go through Canada. I should never have bought so much.

From what I am reading on the ATF website, I can legally ship my rifles from myself, to myself. Any of you have experience with this? Have you used USPS or Fed Ex?

Also, can any of you recommend a FFL dealer in Anchorage that will ship my handguns?

Thank you for your time
    I've mailed my rifles and shotguns to myself three times. I used usps and have had no issues. Shipping and insurance from ATL to my village was $60 (a 30-06 with scope and a 12 ga shotgun)and it was in my village in three days. Do you have anyone that could fly with your handguns?

I mailed a 22 rifle to my grandson in Colorado through the usps. I don't recall what it cost me but don't think it was very much. Just be sure to insure them, that way they have to keep track of them, and it's less likely the package will go astray.

Thank you for your time
    And, in the end they let you through with all your guns?.......then why the harassment.....Maple Syrup flavored jollies?

I mailed a buddy's guns to him a few years ago from DLG to Oregon. I retained a signed copy of the local FFL to show the num nums at the local post office and then shipped them to his FFL in Oregon. This was all long guns and it worked fine. I went straight to the ATF in AK regarding this move.

Don't know about shipping to yourself across state lines.....I do believe therein lies the rub.

Thank you for your time
    We're just talking about this in another thread. This is just a suggestions to save some cost, strip down the guns to the barest part that is legally considered the gun. That would be the receiver. For semi-auto pistols, that would be the lower frame. For the AR, the lower receiver. For shotguns, the receiver portion. Essentially strip off as much of the weight as you feel comfortable disassembling. I sent some long guns up recently during a drive through. Remove the barrels and the stocks and anything else you can. On a Ruger 10/22, you can strip it down to just the receiver, a small aluminum empty box. Ship the receivers by whichever carrier you want and use your FFL. The rest are not firearms. They are parts. As long as you don't have the receiver with you and cannot reassemble them to function, they are parts only. So you don't have to declare any firearms. Take proof that you shipped the receivers. FFL paperwork, carrier receipts etc. You can send long gun receivers through USPS to yourself without FFL using a flat rate box. Wrap them up REALLY good. Handguns have to go UPS or FedEx and have to go overnight per their policies. But by only shipping the receivers (the legally defined "gun") you will save some weight.

At the Canada border, you have no firearms. It's not a lie. You have nothing more than a collection of parts.

If you don't feel comfortable with that, you'll be paying a LOT of money to overnight stuff.

Oh, I forgot, if you don't mind declaring them to Canada, you can bring pretty much any non-NFA long gun through with you. At the check point, you can declare them all and fill out the paperwork. You'll need to have serial #'s etc. There is a cost associated with it, but it's only $25 for the whole lot. Handguns are different, they are VERY strict about what can and cannot go through. The border guards told me it's usually better to just ship them.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    And, in the end they let you through with all your guns?.......then why the harassment.....Maple Syrup flavored jollies?

I mailed a buddy's guns to him a few years ago from DLG to Oregon. I retained a signed copy of the local FFL to show the num nums at the local post office and then shipped them to his FFL in Oregon. This was all long guns and it worked fine. I went straight to the ATF in AK regarding this move.

Don't know about shipping to yourself across state lines.....I do believe therein lies the rub.
    you can ship long guns and shotguns to yourself. When I went into the post office in GA the lady thought I was crazy. She had to pull a manual to read the fine print.

As far as handguns go, I would contact a ffl. I do know that you can not ship handguns via usps. Not sure of fedex or ups (they don't deliver to me).

If you go to USPS.com and search on shipping firearms it will tell you you can ship rifles/shotguns no handguns.
    https://www.usps.com/send/can-you-mail-it.htm

I just drove through a couple months ago with a 10/22, they didn't care one bit. It was pretty easy actually I just declared the guns, paid 25 bucks and they said have a fun trip. I had 5 guns with me. The 10/22, 2 bolt action rifles and 2 auto shotguns. They didn't even look at the guns, just had me write the make, model and serial numbers and that was it. They seemed more concerned with fruits, veggies and wild game meat than anything.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Watch out for the dude with mutton chops at the beaver creek station thought the lead singer for Mountain Leslie West got a job working customs for the Canadians.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFUUtGVsEOE

Thank you for your time
    USPS is my only option where I live and I have shipped long guns (rifle/shotguns) to myself all around the country and to gunsmiths as well. I've never had a problem, but I package them well and purchase plenty of insurance for the firearm.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

You can FedEx the handguns from/to you but it's tricky. Last time I did it they told me at the counter to go home and do the label online.

I'd mail the rifles from/to myself. For the handguns give them to an FFL, we can mail them and it's a lot cheaper than FedEx. I get $10 plus postage (likely fit them all in a flat rate box) and I can help you find a reasonable FFL on the other end.

Where ya going? CA, CT, NY and the like can be a problem!i
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Awesome info! Thank you so much. For those of you who have shipped rifles/shotguns to yourself, do you label the box with your name on it? How do you collect your package when you arrive in the state you are going to? If I ship them to myself, can my father accept the package? Somehow, I dont think he can.

When I went through Canada, I declared my rifles/shotguns. However, the woman who was asking questions at the border crossing asked about handguns. Being that I am honest, I said I left my handgun with my father-in-law to ship to me. She did not believe me. She wanted to search everything to find my handgun. I told her the truth. I just did not have the receipt to prove it because the handgun had not yet been shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    You can FedEx the handguns from/to you but it's tricky. Last time I did it they told me at the counter to go home and do the label online.

I'd mail the rifles from/to myself. For the handguns give them to an FFL, we can mail them and it's a lot cheaper than FedEx. I get $10 plus postage (likely fit them all in a flat rate box) and I can help you find a reasonable FFL on the other end.

Where ya going? CA, CT, NY and the like can be a problem!i
    I am going back to Idaho. A good gun friendly state! So, are you a FFL dealer?

Awesome info! Thank you so much. For those of you who have shipped rifles/shotguns to yourself, do you label the box with your name on it? How do you collect your package when you arrive in the state you are going to? If I ship them to myself, can my father accept the package? Somehow, I dont think he can.

When I went through Canada, I declared my rifles/shotguns. However, the woman who was asking questions at the border crossing asked about handguns. Being that I am honest, I said I left my handgun with my father-in-law to ship to me. She did not believe me. She wanted to search everything to find my handgun. I told her the truth. I just did not have the receipt to prove it because the handgun had not yet been shipped.
    Actually an honest answer would have been I have no handguns with me.

I placed my guns in a hard case (didn't buy a super expensive one either, I think I spent $40 on the case). I duct taped the crap out of it as well as used 4 locks. You do not have to open the case at the post office btw or leave the keys or combo with post master (the lady in Anchorage tried to make me leave her the combo). I then used a label and placed the info on it. Do you have a new address? That is all you need. I believe that you have to pick it up at the new post office. I live in the bush and we don't have mail delivery service to our house. Just the PO.

When the guns arrived here in AK I went down to the dump and shot. Didn't even have to rezero in. Gun shot true. I do not remember if I shipped via parcel post or priority, I just know that they arrived in my village in three days. It took me four to arrive. The good thing about shipping guns is that they will not get lost Damaged? Maybe, but I insured mine for more than what it would cost to replace everything.

I was told that I could ship it to myself and do a in care of. The person that cares for the guns shouldn't open the case (by law)...

Here in Alaska it is a common thing. However that lady at the airport PO (Glo? She is Hawaiian with long hair) didn't know the rules. But everyone else working did.

The lady in GA thought I was crazy until I told her to look up the code on it. She laughed and said you learn something new everyday.
    Just make sure there is no ammo in the case.

I am going back to Idaho. A good gun friendly state! So, are you a FFL dealer?
    Yup I'm FFL in Palmer and I know of one in Idaho.

Mail the long guns to yourself "in care of" your Dad at his address. He can take the package but tecnicley not open.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    Ship the receivers by whichever carrier you want and use your FFL.
    If your trying to save money then there is no need to ship anything through a FFL unless it is a handgun. Like others mentioned, you can mail it from yourself to yourself. I have done it dozens of times so my weapons are waiting for me in the lower 48. I just label the package to the persons house I am going to, attention to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Yup I'm FFL in Palmer and I know of one in Idaho.

Mail the long guns to yourself "in care of" your Dad at his address. He can take the package but tecnicley not open.
    Sent you an email to your address.

....and by shipping a rifle to myself, this includes the AR15? No problems with that platform?

Email, yup replayed.

AR15 is a long gun so yup unless it's a handgun or SBR your fine. Anything classed as a normal rifle or shotgun will mail. BTW the AR must ship, can't take it to Canada last I checked.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast