Thread: Spirt of Alaska, Kodiak deer/goat hunt

Default Spirt of Alaska, Kodiak deer/goat hunt

Well I just made it official with Steele, taking the whole family to Kodiak for the week of Turkey Day. Was staying at his Amook camp but he had a cancellation at the Cannery camp so I jumped on it. I know I have seen the Cannery camp on a few hunting shows in the past, should be a blast. Looking for info from anyone that hunted the area before. Steele is a transporter there for can not and will not talk hunting. I am manly interested in having my youngest daughter take a goat. I am aware and prepared to stay on the mountain over night but would like any helpful info on gear and area's to scout. Never been to Kodiak before and the family IS excited! From what I understand, Steele doesn't want hunting around the camps so he picks us up and drops us off everyday. He will permit hunting around camp ONLY if the weather is bad and he can't come get us to take us out..

Be aware that weather can definitely be a factor that time of year, especially going after goats. I've been on some of those Kodiak mountains in Oct and Nov when the wind was blowing so hard you literally couldn't stand. It was 4 wheel drive (hands and knees). Had to bag a goat trip above Saltery Lake once because it blew solid for three days straight. We dropped down off the ridges and got some deer instead as they were holed up in the leeward gullies to get out of the wind themselves.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Thanks twoducks, I appreciate the caution. I don't take risks that are life threatening, especially with my family. I know when enough is enough and when to back down, there's always another day. Goats are our real goal here for my daughter and I. The other daughter and wife will be staying at camp when we go after goats. If Kara gets her deer and goat on this trip, it will leave just a sheep next on the list and she will have her black, brown bear, moose, caribou, deer and goat taken all by the age of 15..

Just sent you a PM reference that area.

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Well I just made it official with Steele, taking the whole family to Kodiak for the week of Turkey Day. Was staying at his Amook camp but he had a cancellation at the Cannery camp so I jumped on it. I know I have seen the Cannery camp on a few hunting shows in the past, should be a blast. Looking for info from anyone that hunted the area before. Steele is a transporter there for can not and will not talk hunting. I am manly interested in having my youngest daughter take a goat. I am aware and prepared to stay on the mountain over night but would like any helpful info on gear and area's to scout. Never been to Kodiak before and the family IS excited! From what I understand, Steele doesn't want hunting around the camps so he picks us up and drops us off everyday. He will permit hunting around camp ONLY if the weather is bad and he can't come get us to take us out..
    You're hitting it at prime time for deer...and goats if the WX isn't too nasty. Goat hunting take GOOD trekking poles, ice crampons and a fully functional satellite phone with batteries and minutes. Do not hunt Kodiak goats without those items. Glass and confirm goats are there...and then hike up to about 1500 feet (or as necessary) and spike camp for up to 3 days. You make that hike up might as well camp for a few days in goat country. Don't push the goats...over the ridge. Relax and they'll eventually feed your way as they work the snowy ridge line. Melt snow for water if needed. Good luck! Steele knows his stuff. :-)

Good luck! I haven't hunted up in the Amook Is area but have hunted in Zachar Bay and Spiridon Bay a bit and a lot in the Uganik Is/Uganik Bay area. This was back in the early to mid 80's. Man, were there a lot of deer in that area in those days. We had a 7 deer limit in 1981 and it wasn't hard to fill your tags. Wasn't uncommon to see 50 to 100 deer a day or more.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Quote Originally Posted by tdelarm View Post
    You're hitting it at prime time for deer...and goats if the WX isn't too nasty. Goat hunting take GOOD trekking poles, ice crampons and a fully functional satellite phone with batteries and minutes. Do not hunt Kodiak goats without those items. Glass and confirm goats are there...and then hike up to about 1500 feet (or as necessary) and spike camp for up to 3 days. You make that hike up might as well camp for a few days in goat country. Don't push the goats...over the ridge. Relax and they'll eventually feed your way as they work the snowy ridge line. Melt snow for water if needed. Good luck! Steele knows his stuff. :-)
    Thanks tdelarm, great info! Going with my good hunting buddy, wife and 2 daughters. One daughter and wife will stay back at camp while us 3 head up the mountain for a few days. Hoping for a break in weather but you obviously can't plan for that. Worse case we get to chase deer around. Thanks for the info guys, anyone with pics of that area at that time of year would be appreciated!

We hunted with Steele this last winter, he's a great guy. We took my god daughter and she shot her first big game, got a real nice deer. Steele gives a good discount for anyone under 18 that gets good grades you just have to ask him about it.

Thanks wolfy. Yes, he gave us a great discount for both daughters even with one being an actual adult but going to UAA. Steele has been awesome to deal with, can't wait!

Steve,

Do you still want to get together some time and look at maps? Maybe lunch some time?

Randy

You bet Randy. Just waiting for life to slow down a bit so I can catch up. I'll be calling ya soon. Thanks for the help ahead of time!

Well the day has come, leaving Sunday morning. The family is PUMPED! Report is that it is real wet and soggy down low and the snow is at 2000'. Not alot of deer killing but the ones killed have been big. People have been doubling on goats as well. Got the packs ready for a 3 dayer on the mountain with the kiddo. Theres actually a break in the weather mid nixt week. At 44 I feel like a kid waiting for xmas! Happy Turkey day everyone, will report back..

Steve,

Take care and have fun with the family. You will enjoy the experience. I certainly look forward to the story and seeing that girl with a goat.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Well the day has come, leaving Sunday morning. The family is PUMPED! Report is that it is real wet and soggy down low and the snow is at 2000'. Not alot of deer killing but the ones killed have been big. People have been doubling on goats as well. Got the packs ready for a 3 dayer on the mountain with the kiddo. Theres actually a break in the weather mid nixt week. At 44 I feel like a kid waiting for xmas! Happy Turkey day everyone, will report back..
    Have fun. Be careful! A friend just came back from there and had MAJOR issues with bears on his goat hunt. Their everywhere. Bears need to be thinned out of there a bit. Seems to be a more common issue in that bay anymore.