Thread: Kryptek or Sitka hunting clothes??

Default Kryptek or Sitka hunting clothes??

Headed sheep hunting this fall and looking for some warm lightweight and reliable gear. From your personal experience which brand of clothing makes better quality clothing? Which lasts longer? If you have any advice on better gear please let me know I am open to anything right now.

Thanks for any advice given!

Kryptek Raingear.
    Firstlite puffy
    First lite baselayer

Sitka zippers break. The cuffs and seams on pants wear out quickly as well.

I prefer Kryptek...

I would look at the Kuiu stuff as well, I have some Sitka gear and lots of Kuiu stuff and Kuiu seems to be just as good of quality and usually lower cost than Sitka.

KUIU... no question. It's cheaper, lighter, superior to the others. Jason (the owner of KUIU) started Sitka gear but left the company once Cabela's started using inferior products and increasing cost. Oh yeah, KUIU and has a better warranty.

Kuiu gear for pants, jackets, and rain gear.

The First Lite Uncompahgre Puffy is a great jacket for a heavier synthetic.

I used Sitka for a while until their price went up and quality went down.

Love The Kyptek pattern, don't care for the fit or current materials. Their sizing is the same as the military and with a 33/34 waist and 30 inch inseam I'm between sizes with them. Medium too tight and too long and a large is too big and too long. Their stuff is getting better, with the last year much improved over the year prior, but still not as good as Kuiu.

If you just don't have to have camo,, the Traverse pants by 511 have 4 way stretch and are very comparable to the Kuiu Attack pants (I have both) and can be had for under 100 bucks. Many of the Alpine Backpacking companies also have very good choices so don't over look them as well.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I buy a lot of Mountain Hardwear gear on sale and I am thrilled with it. My Ridgeline pants were $19 on close out and have comfy 4 way stretch. Compressor hooded jacket and pants from STP for pennies on the dollar. I buy 100% merino base layers at deep discounts online with no regard for brand and have had very few issues with any of it. Last year I wore some $100 REI zip off pants that worked like a charm. I do have Kuiu rain gear but I bought the jacket out of their bargain bin for 1/2 price and picked up the pants out of the swap and sell forum for 1/3 the price of new. I like the Kuiu Chugach rain gear but I wouldn't buy it for retail if I could find a deal on quality eVent mountaineering gear on sale. Kotton was sitting next to me in his long underwear when I closed the deal on my first ram this fall and we were both in our camp shoes. My kid killed his first bear wearing a black and red hoodie with some tan REI hiking pants. My wife got her first moose wearing a bright red Arctiva snowmachining jacket. Kahahawai's wife knocked over a stud of a sheep and it looks like she was wearing good quality workout clothes.

I have spent real money on sleeping bags, packs, rifles and boots. I could justify it on glass but have been lucky to find really solid mid level glass at deep discounts or used. I would pay to play on tents as well but have managed to score Golite Shangri-la shelters at less than 1/2 retail and couldn't ask for much more in a sheep shelter.

If you want camo that works in sheep country, lasts years, and does not break the bank then get cabelas microtex in their outfitter blob o flage. Pretty shocked how well it held up after 10 days if crawling through rocks.

Kryptek Alaios pants
    kryptek hoodie
    and pack the kryptek Cadog or Aegis all weather jacket! Pants and hoodie are lightweight and very comfortable! If it gets chilly throw the coat on! And the pattern makes u disappear in the tundra

I also have lots of Sitka and kuiu brand stuff. It seems to me that everyone that had Sitka have went to kuiu because of the price point and just a little better product. The only Sitka thing I still wear is the storm front jacket. It has become somewhat of a good luck piece that has some superstitious qualities about it. That said when they come out with a solid color Yukon jacket I will be switching to kuiu. It is all in the fit and everyone is different. Sad to say but you have to buy a lot of differ t brands and equipment before you can find the right one for you. Although you could get lucky. Good luck. Tekla