Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Surfcast Thread

Default 2014 Surfcast Thread

I spent some time down on the Kenai beach last night, enjoying the beautiful weather with my family. The water was calm and inviting, beckoning for me to toss a line out...

So, ladies and gents, when's the earliest that it makes sense to get out there?

I probably won't start until may.
    Right now the water is still a bit too cold and I doubt there is much for fish out there. Plus you have to be careful of the ice both on the beach(slick walking) and the ice floes drifting in the inlet out of the river.
    I was out with my wife agate hunting the beach on Sunday and boy was it beautiful out.
    I plan to hit the Kasilof beach this year and try out some new gear.
    I am still thinking a forum members get together on the beach is a good idea.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I've connected with small butts off the beach as early as March 10th if I recall. I have been thinking of getting down there myself already.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

If I find the time, and the weather is good, I'll try in a week.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Any luck off the beach yet?

Nothing in my usual spots on the Kenai yet.

Anyone try off the spit in Homer yet?

A couple of us went down this past weekend. Fished Friday on both high tides and rang up a big fat zero. Moved up to Whiskey Gulch for the Saturday high and had similar results. Lots of Pollack and Sole off the Spit so that made it fun to break in new gear. Just as a side question, has anyone had better luck fishing the low tide for halibut? Obviously your chances are rough to begin with from land, but not impossible, and one would think that the butts would chase bait fish in with the rising tide, but with the low you have more access to the deeper water off the spit that may hold a fish between the swing. Just curious if a guy should break the mold of tossing back some cold ones waiting for the tide to come in and toss the line out.

First time out surfcasting since March caught a half dozen starry flounder then a nice 38 in halibut in kenai. They're in guys get out there, soak some bait, and report back.

fished the kasilof beach sun pm high and caught one small halibut and one flounder and saw one small halibut and a few other flounder caught .

Thanks for the update Mud dawg. It's too bad I am going outof state for my sisters wedding or I would certainly be headed down there.

Thanks for the update Mud dawg. It's too bad I am going outof state for my sisters wedding or I would certainly be headed down there.

you guys going to be ok with the fire down there ?

Quote Originally Posted by mud dawg View Post

you guys going to be ok with the fire down there ?
    So far so good. Hopefully it stays on that side of the sterling highway.
    Some of that stuff needed a good burn with all the beetle kill.
    You need to try some of my custom surfcast stinkers sometime.
    What a difference having the right style sinker makes.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JRicke1032 View Post
    A couple of us went down this past weekend. Fished Friday on both high tides and rang up a big fat zero. Moved up to Whiskey Gulch for the Saturday high and had similar results. Lots of Pollack and Sole off the Spit so that made it fun to break in new gear. Just as a side question, has anyone had better luck fishing the low tide for halibut? Obviously your chances are rough to begin with from land, but not impossible, and one would think that the butts would chase bait fish in with the rising tide, but with the low you have more access to the deeper water off the spit that may hold a fish between the swing. Just curious if a guy should break the mold of tossing back some cold ones waiting for the tide to come in and toss the line out.
    Off the end of the spit in Homer, the west side of the spit (in front of the condos next to lands end) the fishing is always better at low tide. You are closer to the "ledge" but more importantly I think the outgoing current funnels more of the bait fish and associated predators to the West Side.

The East side off the ferry dock seems better as the tide it coming in for the same reason but I don't fish that side much. When I do, there seems to be enough pollock and flounder that it really doesn't matter as much.

I should caveat my observations that I haven't shore fished that area much, but my observations are based more from fishing out of kayak often within casting distance of the shore line.

I've noticed a kelp bed directly in front of the parking area in Whiskey Gulch fairly close to shore that I haven't marked in previous years. That seems like a pretty good habitat for halibut and other species. Though the beachfront distance difference at Whiskey Gulch between high and low is much smaller than many areas due to the steeper angle of the beach, I think it would be easier to get close to those kelp beds on a good cast at low tide versus high tide. Once again just thinking out loud since I haven't tried it from the beach there.

Thanks Rudy, I think we plan on heading down that way in a week or so and we'll definitely give those thoughts a try. We will probably work our way down the peninsula since a friend seen your recent video of the halibut off Whiskey Gulch.

Going to Portage this weekend was thinking about heading over to Whittier. Anybody know of some good shore fishing spots and what tackle I should use. I used a lot of swim baits and rattle traps on the east coast but I'm still learning the ropes up here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those of you who have fished the Kenai beach, North or South beach? Close to the river mouth?

South beach, just north of the access.

Quote Originally Posted by ninja View Post
    South beach, just north of the access.

Just north of the Dunes Road access, or north of the Old Cannery Road? Thanks for your advice.

Dunes Rd is where I go, but really, I'm not sure it matters a ton.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast