Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie!!

Default Newbie!!

Hey guys,

I thought I would introduce myself in this bush flying forum. I really don't know allot of people that fly. I'm a newbie to flying. I started flying the beginning of December and just got my license the last day of February. The only guy on here that I know that fly's is AKsoldier.

I'm pretty much a newbie in every sense of the word. I'm still learning allot and I might be chiming in every now and again on this bush flying forum.

I have really enjoyed the short time that I've been flying and I actually just purchased a plane two days ago. It needs a little fabric work but I think its gonna be a good plane for me. I picked up a Aeronca 15AC Sedan with the 0-360 motor and EDO floats. I've heard good things about these planes. I'll need to get my float rating this upcoming summer. Right now I just need to do a little bit of fabric work on it.

Any info or advice about the Sedans would be appreciated. I won't be flying it until next week because its currently on floats and I won't have it on wheels for another few days.

I'm looking forward to learning more on the forum and possibly meeting some of you.

I'm impressed! 3 months start to finish on the private pilot in the middle of winter is fast.

You might want to contact Burl at Burl's Aircraft (www.burlac.com) in Chugiak, he's the type certificate holder and can be a source for technical issues.

Yes Burls is the place for Sedans.... Which are a wonderful aircraft... And even better with an 0-360.

(insert selfish self-promotion here)
    Please call me when things thaw a little for your float rating.
    226-2899 dragonfly@alaska.net
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Thanks guys.

I'll be calling Burls for some info. I appreciate it.

I did try to get my license done quickly because I did have some time off this winter. Doing it in the winter was a bit difficult. There were about 3 weeks that I couldn't fly because of weather.

Here's a photo of my plane. It needs a little work but I'll have her flying in a little bit.

Thanks again guys!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394090497.878020.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394090537.020127.jpg

Supporting Member

Beautiful plane! Good job on getting floats! You'll have so much fun with it.

Quote Originally Posted by 907pride View Post
    Thanks guys.

I'll be calling Burls for some info. I appreciate it.

I did try to get my license done quickly because I did have some time off this winter. Doing it in the winter was a bit difficult. There were about 3 weeks that I couldn't fly because of weather.

Here's a photo of my plane. It needs a little work but I'll have her flying in a little bit.

Thanks again guys!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394090497.878020.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394090537.020127.jpg

Nice ride and congrats! I also did my private in winter several years ago... You will like the 0-360, I have that in my 170 and its a fun plane now. Im sure yours will be great on floats.

Congrats on the private and the sedan. I've considered the same airplane but they can be hard to find already set up with the O-360 and floats already on em. It's pretty expensive to do those mods too from what Burl explained to me. I am on a similar path... I started my private mid September and passed my checkride the first week of January and had around 30 bad weather days during the 2 weeks a month I tried to fly. I will say I learned a lot during the bad weather days hanging out with my instructor and helping with maintenance work in the hangar. Almost started to think I should be working on my A&P instead of private a few times! I'm looking to purchase a float plane as well and get my rating this spring/summer. They just changed me from student to private in the FAA Airmen Registry so it looks like it takes them 2 months to process it if you are curious as to when you may get your official cert in the mail.

Congrats on the private and the sedan. I've considered the same airplane but they can be hard to find with already set up with the O-360 and floats already on em. It's pretty expensive to do those mods too from what Burl explained to me. I am on a similar path... I started my private mid September and passed my checkride the first week of January and had around 30 bad weather days during the 2 weeks a month I tried to fly. I will say I learned a lot during the bad weather days hanging out with my instructor and helping with maintenance work in the hangar. Almost started to think I should be working on my A&P instead of private a few times! I'm looking to purchase a float plane as well and get my rating this spring/summer. They just changed me from student to private in the FAA Airmen Registry so it looks like it takes them 2 months to process it if you are curious as to when you may get your official cert in the mail.

Thanks for the info Matt. Even if it takes a year for them to change it, I'm just happy with the log book endorsement.

Hopefully the photos will post. I took a few photos the last few days while we changed over the floats to the wheels. We also got the engine going. It sat for a few years so we cleaned the entire fuel system out really well. It ran perfectly. The motor only has 19 hours on it.

I'm really excited. I've been learning allot from the mechanic. He's been nice enough to let me hang out and observe.

Here's some photos of the transition.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394348677.179627.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394348725.652438.jpg

I have lots of time in a 180 Sedan. Its a fantastic float plane!

WOW.....License AND a plane...!!! Good for you buddy....CONGRATS...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by akflyr15ac View Post
    I have lots of time in a 180 Sedan. Its a fantastic float plane!
    Hey Akflyr15ac. Im gonna have to pick your brain on some stuff. What size floats do you run on yours? I have edo 2000's and some people have told me that they are a little under floated at gross with those floats but I have heard the opposite from other people. For the most part I've heard really good things about them. I'm just excited to have a plane.

Thanks 4merguide. I appreciate it.

2000 's work well maybe a touch under floated but at legal gross they work good. Your airplane will be a little nose heavy with the Cherokee 180 cowling, my conversion uses a stretched Scout cowling that my Dad built in the early 70s. The original 180hp Sedan. Put 25 or 30 lbs in the baggage compartment until you get comfortable with the airplane. To really make the Sedan perform you need to be very good operating on the step. Go out and get your float rating then forget that it has wings, learn to step turn left, right, figure eights and one float step turns. Im not an instructor but i will take you out in my Sedan and show you what it can do. It'll amaze you.

[QUOT
    We also got the engine going. It sat for a few years so we cleaned the entire fuel system out really well. It ran perfectly. The motor only has 19 hours on it. [/QUOTE]

If its been sitting for a couple years you may want to have your mechanic pull a jug and check things out with a bore scope. Always hear about Lycomings being hard on cams after sitting for a while. Unless it was pickled. Then your probably good to go. Still looks like a nice ride and you will smile when you blast off a lake or strip and climb like hell!

Quote Originally Posted by akflyr15ac View Post
    2000 's work well maybe a touch under floated but at legal gross they work good. Your airplane will be a little nose heavy with the Cherokee 180 cowling, my conversion uses a stretched Scout cowling that my Dad built in the early 70s. The original 180hp Sedan. Put 25 or 30 lbs in the baggage compartment until you get comfortable with the airplane. To really make the Sedan perform you need to be very good operating on the step. Go out and get your float rating then forget that it has wings, learn to step turn left, right, figure eights and one float step turns. Im not an instructor but i will take you out in my Sedan and show you what it can do. It'll amaze you.

I'll take your advice and throw some cargo in the back. I did notice that when we picked it with the hoist it was leaning pretty far forward. I don't know why they designed the motor mount so far forward. Theres about 16 inches between the firewall and the engine. I may shoot you an email when I get ready to put mine on floats. I would love to see another one in action.

Thanks again,

Well, today was the maiden voyage of the Sedan, At least for me. I flew it from Big Beaver Lake to the mechanics place in Willow. She flew well even though she's been sitting for a few years. I spent some time flushing the fuel system and she didn't give me a single hiccup on the flight over.

I was pretty nervous about the flight. I am still a very low time pilot and I had to take off on a neighborhood road that was pretty skinny, and having never flown it before I was sweating it pretty badly. It jumped right off of the ground and climbed like a banshee. I was pretty worried something was gonna go wrong so just as a precaution I even wore my helmet for the takeoff. I know that may sound ridiculous to some of you guys but it made me feel a little better. Like I said, the plane hasn't flown in some time and I had to fly it to Willow to get the annual done on it and a little bit of fabric work. It hasn't been in annual for years so I really didn't know what to expect.

It felt good to fly it though. It felt very smooth in the landing. I can't wait for the annual to get done so I can go put in some more time with her. Heres a little video that I put together. My brother shot the video of the landing in Willow. I'm pretty excited about it so I thought I'd share with you guys.

http://s1054.photobucket.com/user/by...9dae4.mp4.html

IMG_4340.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Supporting Member

Pretty plane! You are going to have so much fun with it this summer!

How long did it take you to schedule your annual?

Well, today was the maiden voyage of the Sedan, At least for me. I flew it from Big Beaver Lake to the mechanics place in Willow. She flew well even though she's been sitting for a few years. I spent some time flushing the fuel system and she didn't give me a single hiccup on the flight over.

I was pretty nervous about the flight. I am still a very low time pilot and I had to take off on a neighborhood road that was pretty skinny, and having never flown it before I was sweating it pretty badly. It jumped right off of the ground and climbed like a banshee. I was pretty worried something was gonna go wrong so just as a precaution I even wore my helmet for the takeoff. I know that may sound ridiculous to some of you guys but it made me feel a little better. Like I said, the plane hasn't flown in some time and I had to fly it to Willow to get the annual done on it and a little bit of fabric work. It hasn't been in annual for years so I really didn't know what to expect.

It felt good to fly it though. It felt very smooth in the landing. I can't wait for the annual to get done so I can go put in some more time with her. Heres a little video that I put together. My brother shot the video of the landing in Willow. I'm pretty excited about it so I thought I'd share with you guys.

IMG_4340.jpg

IMG_4340.jpg
    Heh I was nervous watching that video even after I read the post. Pretty ballsy stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast