Thread: Second hand canoe store in Anchorage ?

Lightbulb Second hand canoe store in Anchorage ?

Hi there !

I'm planning to visit Alaska next summer and I was wondering if you could recommend a second hand canoe store in Anchorage.
    I'm having a hard time finding one on the Internet...
    Is there any restrictions in Alaska regarding canoeing on lakes and ocean shores ?

Thanks in advance for your help and your time !

Kindly,

Simon

Hi Simon:
    I can't address your question about the second hand canoe stores, you might try an internet search for rental canoes? I can help you with the second part of your question: Very few lakes in Alaska have restrictions on canoeing. Canoes are not recommended for use on the ocean as Alaska experiences high tidal ranges and weather can change quickly creating waves that can easily overwhelm a canoe. Some of the larger lakes in Alaska are also subject to sudden weather changes such as Skilak and Tustemena Lake on the Kenai Peninsula. A good website for boating safety information can be found here: http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/boating/ Don't hesitate to ask questions; there are lots of very experienced boaters on this forum! Have a great trip and boat safe! Mike

there is a canoe / was a canoe rentail on the Kenia Pen they rent canoe or did I have not heard much latey from Max on thei Forum but they did have them for rent don't kmow much beyond that will look a little bit an pass it along to you SID

To my knowledge, there are no companies that specifically trade in used canoes. However, there I are always various canoes and kayaks for sale used on Craigslist and Alaska's List (which is exactly the same as Craigslist only you can sell guns there too.) Sounds as though you might be thinking of coming to AK, buying a used canoe for the summer then maybe reselling it? Am I right? If so, those two websites are your best, of not only, venues. Another option is renting a canoe from the REI in Anchorage. Join the co-op (one time fee of $20) and you get a discount that pays for itself on the first rental. However, if you're looking at doing a lot or renting or going a on a long trip, just buy used. The last time I rented a canoe from REI it was about $30 per day.

I don't know of any lakes restricting canoes, but quite a few (almost all lakes in the Anchorage borough) are non-motorized only zones. Nancy Lake Canoe Trail north of Big Lake is also non motorized. Get yourself a book called Alaska River Guide (or something like that) by Karen Jettmar. Worth it's weight in gold.

Wait a minute! I just saw your location! Vous ete Parisian? Bonjour et bienvenue au Alaska Outdoor Forums. Si Vous avoir quelchose questions a voyage ou vaccances en Alaska, demander a moi, si Vous plait. J'aider Vous. J' habite d'Anchorage Neuf ans, et je canoe beaucoup.

Man, that predictive texting thing is bad enough inEnglish. it's murder trying to type in French lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    there is a canoe / was a canoe rentail on the Kenia Pen they rent canoe or did I have not heard much latey from Max on thei Forum but they did have them for rent don't kmow much beyond that will look a little bit an pass it along to you SID
    True. Max rents canoes and occasionally sells some. Would be worth your while to see what he has available. He is a great guy and will treat you right.

Quote Originally Posted by CG Boating Safety View Post
    Hi Simon:
    I can't address your question about the second hand canoe stores, you might try an internet search for rental canoes? I can help you with the second part of your question: Very few lakes in Alaska have restrictions on canoeing. Canoes are not recommended for use on the ocean as Alaska experiences high tidal ranges and weather can change quickly creating waves that can easily overwhelm a canoe. Some of the larger lakes in Alaska are also subject to sudden weather changes such as Skilak and Tustemena Lake on the Kenai Peninsula. A good website for boating safety information can be found here: http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/boating/ Don't hesitate to ask questions; there are lots of very experienced boaters on this forum! Have a great trip and boat safe! Mike
    Thanks for your answer
    I did search the Internet but I found nothing
    Thank you for your advice, I guess we won't try the canoe in the ocean, you are right. I was planning to join Kachemak Bay State Park from Homer harbor, the water looks pretty still in this area, would you do something like that or is it a bad idea ?

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    To my knowledge, there are no companies that specifically trade in used canoes. However, there I are always various canoes and kayaks for sale used on Craigslist and Alaska's List (which is exactly the same as Craigslist only you can sell guns there too.) Sounds as though you might be thinking of coming to AK, buying a used canoe for the summer then maybe reselling it? Am I right? If so, those two websites are your best, of not only, venues. Another option is renting a canoe from the REI in Anchorage. Join the co-op (one time fee of $20) and you get a discount that pays for itself on the first rental. However, if you're looking at doing a lot or renting or going a on a long trip, just buy used. The last time I rented a canoe from REI it was about $30 per day.

I don't know of any lakes restricting canoes, but quite a few (almost all lakes in the Anchorage borough) are non-motorized only zones. Nancy Lake Canoe Trail north of Big Lake is also non motorized. Get yourself a book called Alaska River Guide (or something like that) by Karen Jettmar. Worth it's weight in gold.

Wait a minute! I just saw your location! Vous ete Parisian? Bonjour et bienvenue au Alaska Outdoor Forums. Si Vous avoir quelchose questions a voyage ou vaccances en Alaska, demander a moi, si Vous plait. J'aider Vous. J' habite d'Anchorage Neuf ans, et je canoe beaucoup.

Man, that predictive texting thing is bad enough inEnglish. it's murder trying to type in French lol.
    Indeed I am Actually not a real parisian though, I live there, you know, everybody got to make a living somehow Im from the Pyrénées mountains, in the south. I'm planning to stay 3 weeks and I want to feel free to hit the water every time I want to, I don't want to rent a canoe for the entire trip That's why I'm looking for a second hand canoe. Even if I still have no idea how to get rid of it at the end of the trip, it will be cheaper than a rental ! Resell it if it's possible but it can be difficult to do it the day before my flight back...
    Thanks a lot for your answer, your advices, your words in french, and your proposition, I may need some more help indeed

I can't wait to visit your fantastic country...

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    True. Max rents canoes and occasionally sells some. Would be worth your while to see what he has available. He is a great guy and will treat you right.
    Thank You Sayak and Sid, I will consider this rental solution if I cannot buy one

some times these rental places will do a supper cheep rate for a long rental , it won't hurt to ask frist all they can say is no , don't foget if you are flying in an rent a car / truck you will need racks an a lot of the new cars don't work well with racks SID

Max, of Alaska canoe will hook you up. his website is posted on this forum, and he is also the moderator.

Second hand canoes..
    hey you guys .. I Love to read every post on the Canoe and Kayak forum and our members here are amazing . .. seldom anytime do we need a moderator to step in.. just so good...
    Back to second hand canoes..
    I do think that posting a ( WTB ) ad on Craiglist and Alaska list is a great way to go if your not seeing much activity on the offerings of canoes..
    Many people have canoes that have just not been used of thought about stuck inside sheds and hanging in the ceiling of a garage etc.
    It may jolt a viewer looking in the boating section of the online ads and remind them that someone out their may actually use the boat they have forgotten for so many years.. .. pricing is a problem at times though so when you find a canoe from an ad... you can look up the manufacture of the boat and see if they still make that model.. remember that plastic canoes are different than a Royalex canoe and the price of a plastic canoe used should never exceed about $350 for these boats used. the discovery from Old town is such a boat,
    the plastic canoe will be heavy and usually never get below the 70 plus pound mark and are more likely to be around 80 to 110 lbs.. not a good boat for portage but will handle stoney rivers and will take abuse quit well.
    the used Royalex boats will be in the price range used at about $400.00 and up depending on the boat and the condition, ,,, yes.. you may find a royalex boat for less, , and that happens when someone that is selling the canoe does not realize its value .. so the super great deal may show up at times.
    Sooooo retail !!!,, we can find a new plastic canoe in the range of $450 to about $800 new
    and the royalex from about $1300. to $1800
    These are just average numbers of coarse...... Disclaimer...of coarse here
    Some of the guys have suggested contacting me for a used canoe.... and yes I do have some that are in good condition that will last a guy a lifetime if taken care of.. but the shine is off them from being in the rental fleet..
    You are always welcome to come kick the tires down here in Sterling and share your dream and adventures with me.. It is always such a pleasure to meet the faces of this forum.. and I thank each one of you that have stopped to say hi over the years..
    Last year I came onto a VERY nice big old Gruman 19ft aluminum freighter and the old fellow that had it had forgotten what he had paid for it.
    He talked about moose trips he had taken with the canoe, family outings, ,, his kids taking it out and swimming in Alaska summer warmed lakes from it, and fish caught and played from it... He said that the canoe needed a new story... and asked if I would use it ?
    the price he offered it to me was way to low..
    I told him so....
    I am an opportunist just like the next Bear in the woods.
    but He left me the canoe, and I gave him more than he asked.. and we are both happy.
    You will find a great canoe for your adventures. and you have come to the right place for help on this forum
    the ladies and the guys here are top flight and will not steer you wrong.
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

I remember that Grumman. Very nice craft.

Wow, I didn't expect so many answers, you guys are great !
    Sid, we're renting one of those :
    truck-camper.JPG
    So I guess I'll find a way to put the canoe on the top.
    I'm also considering this kind of inflatable solution :
    http://www.rei.com/product/868289/aq...flatable-kayak

I'm flying to Svalbard tomorrow morning, I'll use these precious advices in two weeks or so

In my experience, those types of inflatable canoes are very intractable in a breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by dataichi View Post
    Thanks for your answer
    I did search the Internet but I found nothing
    Thank you for your advice, I guess we won't try the canoe in the ocean, you are right. I was planning to join Kachemak Bay State Park from Homer harbor, the water looks pretty still in this area, would you do something like that or is it a bad idea ?

Simon
    Simon,

The water in Kachemak bay is calm when the wind doesn't blow, but almost every afternoon the wind will kick up and you'll have 2-4' waves which IMHO would be very dangerous in a canoe.

My advise would be to hire a water taxi to take you from the Homer Spit harbor across the bay to Halibut Cove Lagoon or wherever you plan to explore and bring a canoe or kayak with you. Halibut Cove Lagoon is well protected and would be enjoyable in a canoe, but you need to be aware that during a tide change the channel that the lagoon flows through moves at about 4 knots so you will need to plan your padding around slack tide if you wanted to go from the lagoon to Halibut Cove or the trailhead near the entrance of the lagoon. Also be aware that the afternoon breeze will kick up some smaller waves at the entrance of the lagoon.

Honestly for the cost of renting a canoe for a 3 week trip you'd probably be better off just buying an inexpensive one and selling it at the end of the trip. But you need to factor in the value of your time it'll take to sell it as well as figuring out how you will transport it around the state.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Hi there !

I'm back from Svalbard. Thank you all for your answers, I will consider the water taxi solution, I don't want to struggle in the bay after a long hike in the Kachemak State Park.

If you want to take a look at my catch in Svalbard : http://www.flickr.com/photos/dataich...7642511317673/

Kindly,

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by dataichi View Post
    Hi there !

I'm back from Svalbard. Thank you all for your answers, I will consider the water taxi solution, I don't want to struggle in the bay after a long hike in the Kachemak State Park.

If you want to take a look at my catch in Svalbard : http://www.flickr.com/photos/dataich...7642511317673/

Kindly,

Simon
    Awesome pictures! Awesome country! And you are coming to Alaska because....?

Amazing photos and country.
    Appreciate you sharing them.
    BK

Thanks
    I'm coming to Alaska I'm pretty sure it's an awesome country too !!