Thread: Rigging herring for winter kings - to spin or not to spin, that is the question

Default Rigging herring for winter kings - to spin or not to spin, that is the question

Howdy all,
    When you're rigging whole herring for winter king trolling, do y'all prefer to rig the herring to spin or to tow straight without spinning? Cut plugs, and plastic plugs like the Brad's will always spin, and people report good success with those. I've also heard it said that kings spook with a spinning herring. In summer, I've caught them on cut plugs, plastic plugs, hoochies, spoons, etc. Since we're all fishermen, I'm sure I'll get a dozen opinions for every six people who respond, but it's still interesting and useful for me.

So to spin, or not to spin?

Thanks!

Spin. Always spin. The only time I rig a straight herring is if I have it behind a flasher.

Nice tight spin. In the winter all my fish come on herring. Starting mid June, you won't see herring on my boat at all, but winter time, rolling herring is he key. What will take the time is to figure out what spin works best for you, every boat and fish is different. take a bunch of ideas, modify them all until you get something that works on your boat. Me, anything bigger than a green label goes out naked, no heads, greens and reds go in heads. and I prefer purples and blacks or bigger whole rolled.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanap View Post
    Spin. Always spin. The only time I rig a straight herring is if I have it behind a flasher.
    I agree, always spin a herring. If running a herring alone I like cut plugs, but make sure you salt it well, otherwise you'll be changing bait pretty often. Don't run a cut plug behind a flasher though.

When I run herring, a lot of the time now I use bait-biters (those plastic clips that clamp onto the face of the herring). They are much faster than a cut plug to set up, and produce a nice spin consistently. However cut plugs are great too.

I always run my herring behind a 11" flasher. It's hard to say that what exactly a herring does behind a flasher after you tow it for a little bit and what presentation works the best. The key is drive over some kings and one of them will bite. Sometimes my herring darts a little, sometimes it does wide spins, and sometimes it does tight spins. I can't say that any of those work best, except drive over some kings.

Last february I put a herring down that look terrible. It was cold as hell, so I wasn't too motivated to pull gear and change it. (I was fishing out of a t-top) I caught a 40lb king on that herring. Big fish for feb. So, you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    I always run my herring behind a 11" flasher. It's hard to say that what exactly a herring does behind a flasher after you tow it for a little bit and what presentation works the best. The key is drive over some kings and one of them will bite. Sometimes my herring darts a little, sometimes it does wide spins, and sometimes it does tight spins. I can't say that any of those work best, except drive over some kings.
    yep, that about sums it up. I am more concerned with my herring looking "whole", as in no missing scales or fins. I've seen guys go through trayed herring at the store with more attention than a green grocer pays to fruit... But like 270, I've put some stuff I thought was pretty marginal down and caught fish.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I once went fishing in Monterey Bay with a friend of a friend. We were targeting Kings. I think we fished about 140' water. any way, first thing he asked, "do you like inside outside OR outside inside ?" What are you talking about. Well, some days the spin makes all the difference in catching. Hook your herring so it turns AWAY from the boat and if no luck re-rig so it spins toward the boat. Yes, we caught our limit of 2 kings each.