Thread: Big Lake or Finger Lake?

Default Big Lake or Finger Lake?

Bought a Zodiac and want to take it out this weekend. The kids want to catch a fish. I've taken them out 3 times on several lakes around Eagle River and no fish. Would Big Lake or Finger Lake be better for catching a fish? Right now they would be happy with anything. Is there a better lake near Anchorage or Matsu area that you can put a boat with a 35 hp outboard on? Any advice on lakes or what to use to catch the fish is appreciated. The kids are giving me a hard time about my fishing prowess, or lack thereof.

Probably Finger Lake. I believe it was recently stocked, though the stockers aren't much to look at this year. I caught a bunch with my kids tonight on another lake and they were averaging about 4 inches. We obviously let 'em all go to grow up some. I hope others do the same. By fall, they'll probably double in size if given a chance.

Normally I would have said Finger Lake but after the ice went out we have typically caught plenty of stockers, not this year, nada. Been to busy to make it back lately though.

Late fall last year at Big Lake, fishing was the best I have seen it in years for rainbows. The limit isn't the same as stocked lakes so you won't take home a bunch.

Another option would be Lucille Lake. I haven't been out there this year yet but typically there are plenty to go around.

Kids are 4 and 6 and haven't mastered casting yet. Probably not the best to teach them in an inflatable boat. What would be the best bait to use? Tried night crawlers a few weeks ago and didn't get a bite at Finger Lake, Beach Lake, or Mirror Lake. Any ideas on bait and where to fish?
    Thanks

I took the kids out to Finger Lake week before last and Nancy Lake last week. Caught several nice bows at each lake using #4 vibrex in a green color. My 5 year old just transitioned from a thumbcaster to a spinning real and is doing good. I put a single hook on the vibrex (just in case). Fish close to shore, preferrably near a steep bank with some overhanging branches. Nancy has some decent Pike near the outlet into the Lil Sue.

Tight Lines!

Generally speaking its hard to beat trolling a worm behind some cowbells. I have heard that some do well trolling a purple eggsucking leach but I have never tried trolling one.

The cowbells with a 18" leader and a worm on a single hook works well for trolling. Also, the Rapala (rainbow) sinking countdown (not the floating type) can be deadly while trollilng, but it is hard to cast. I like to troll in a canoe or a kayak. A good "caster" is a gold and orange Crocodile. Drive up to some of the lakes in between Willow and Talkeetna, or check out Ravine or Bonny Lake out by Chickaloon; they have less people, nicer surroundings and sometimes big trout.

Here's a link for a list of Mat-Su stocked lakes. Its a pretty good resource if you are looking for local lakes to fish at.