Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Plastic Boots Question

Default New Plastic Boots Question

I'm looking at a sheep hunt this year and was initially planning to use my Simms waders and wading boots to hike in and then stash them after the many creek crossings needed. While I don't mind doing this, I don't necessarily want to carry my 5 pounds of leather boots in my pack while I'm traveling in and out of the higher country. I have an older pair of Scarpa Inverno's with the high altitude liner. I've only used these for ice climbing, but am pondering using them in combination with some Barney's Glacier Socks. I'm concerned that my liners will be way too warm for me and am looking into a warmer weather liner. Are you guys who use plastics finding that your feet are too warm with the factory liners, since most of the plastic boots are aimed at winter type activities? If nothing else, I can get another pair of plastic boots. Any tips or recommended boots and liners are appreciated. Or, if there's another trick that doesn't require taking my boots off all the time to cross creeks, I'd like to know.

I have hiked hundreds of miles in my Koflach Hunters in summer and fall and never regretted my choice in boots for the mountains. I normally wear them with wool socks and liner socks and even then, my feet don't seem to get overly hot. But it is nice to be able to have those liners on in camp at night or in the tent..., glacier socks or even trash compactor bags inside the shells for water crossings makes them the best choice for most of what I've done.

On a spring Kodiak Bear hunt years back, I had a fairly new pair of HERMAN SURVIVOR BOOTS.I had greased them up with SNOWSEAL. My partner had leather Browning boots. After 5 days, changing socks each day, it came to feeling these socks and wear the driest pair. My partner had dry feet and mine were wet all the time.
    he finally made this comment "HERMAN IS THE ONLY GUY THAT SURVIVED IN THOSE BOOTS " lol

I'm wondering, for those of you that use plastics, do you have a problem with condensation build up and cold clammy feet? It doesn't seem like plastic boots would breathe very well.

Quote Originally Posted by AK49er View Post
    I'm wondering, for those of you that use plastics, do you have a problem with condensation build up and cold clammy feet? It doesn't seem like plastic boots would breathe very well.
    True, the plastics don't breath that well, but using darn tough merino wool socks it does wick the moisture into the intuition liner ( and away from my feet) which I take off at night to let breath, if its a cool night I will put them down in my sleeping bag and they will dry by morning from my body heat. My feet never get cold in my plastics, if anything they get warm. I have both the Koflachs and the scarpa omegas, both are almost equally the same, I can roll with either.

Quote Originally Posted by AK49er View Post
    I've walked the soles off a bunch of plastics from scarpa invernos to koflach degres. I've never had a problem with and sort of condensation. I'm sure some will have sweaty feet but if you wear a good wicking sock you'll be good to go.. I wear a liner so no and a thorlo outer sock and my feet always feel cozy

I agree with the above two posters. I have never really had cold feet in Koflachs, they seem to have a very good sweat management system...IMO.

I used to have the Scarpa Invernos and they are every bit as heavy as any leather boots. I use Koflach now and they are a dream by comparison.

Yeah invernos are not for the faint of heart. I used them on lots of hunts but as ingot older they got heavier. They are bullet proof though. For starting out I would opt for koflach degres or if you can find them now that they are discontinued scarpa omegas

DeadWolf, do you use them for all hunting of just for the mountains? I am really on the fence and trying to decide on a pair of plastics or Lowa's. I have a goat hunt schedualed for end of Nov and a sheep hunt in 2015 and trying to decide on which way to go for a new pair of hunting boots..

Since you're a resident of Alaska, you should probably go ahead and purchase a pair of plastic boots. I highly recommend them if you're considering any extreme backcountry trekking in addition to extreme adventure hunting. I use my Inverno plastic boots for everything when I'm not wearing hip waders. That goes for brown/grizzly bear, moose, caribou, blacktail deer and black bear hunting, in addition to sheep and goat hunting. If plastic boots aren't your cup-of-tea, then you might consider Meindl's Alaska Hunter sold by Cabela's. My hunting clients prefer those, instead of plastic boots.

Thanks Maverick940, I'll check into the Meindles.

Well just got back from Barneys and went with the Koflach's. Also got the kiddo a pair of Lowa Tibet's along with socks, gaiters and glacier socks. Kevin was very helpful and FYI today is the last day of 10% off the store till July..

I wear Scarpa alphas. They are a bit more streamlined & lighter than Koflachs & the inner bootie/liner is more comfortable & easier to use to me. For river & creek crossings, I have used Glacier Socks. On last years goat hunt, I wore Neos hip boots over the Scarpa's. Hope this info helps. MET

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

This is quite interesting. I wore, and still have, a pair of Scarpa Invernos when I climbed Denali. I haven't worn them since. They were fine on that trip, but I just can't imagine having my feet locked into plastics when doing anything besides climbing in the steepies or side-hilling. I have hunted sheep and goats for years, and have just worn leather hikers. Interesting thoughts from some experienced dudes, different strokes for different folks I guess.
    Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes. ~Wilde

They take a bit to get used to but at least for me the benefits are second to none. I don't even own another pair of boots. I wear mine on every hunt. I even wore them duck hunting. They also shine in the tussocks in the arctic and help keep from rolling ankles. Just don't try to drive with them on

I can't imagine doing long hikes in plastic boots. I have plastic alpine ski boots and plastic alpine touring ski boots. I use La Sportiva leather boots in the mountains. I'll stick with those for sheep hunting.

Take an old pair of tennis shoes for crossing rivers. Just take your pants off and put the stuff in your pack that you want to keep dry.

Well they are now my go to boots. In fact I'll be wearing them while out clearing trapline trail this weekend. I went for a walk last night in them and they were a little different at first but I got used to them quickly. I can see how they would help in tussuks and such with the ankle support. They diffently make you more sure footed when you step. The thing I worry about is getting too hot in them but I guess with good wicking socks and removing the liners in the evening should help.

Quote Originally Posted by sockeye1 View Post
    This is quite interesting. I wore, and still have, a pair of Scarpa Invernos when I climbed Denali. I haven't worn them since. They were fine on that trip, but I just can't imagine having my feet locked into plastics when doing anything besides climbing in the steepies or side-hilling. I have hunted sheep and goats for years, and have just worn leather hikers. Interesting thoughts from some experienced dudes, different strokes for different folks I guess.
    It's almost like you read my mind. I used Invernos for mountaineering and Denali, nothing else. I am firmly in the lightweight leather mountaineering boot crowd for mountain hunting.

Believe it or not, back about 40 years ago (or so) when we were "young and dumb", a bunch of us local "kids" used to run around in Converse sneakers among the high peaks in the nether reaches of Unit 14C, chasing record book rams. Good times ..........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast