Thread: Hot Springs Road bear hunting

Default Hot Springs Road bear hunting

I'm going to be in the Fairbanks/Two Rivers area late May/early June and I'd like to do a little bear hunting. Should I be packin' for black bear or grizz? If I'm reading the regs correctly, grizz closes 5/31 and blacks are open year 'round. Any idea if I'm more likely to see a grizz or blacks cruisin' the trails around there? Just trying to get an idea if I should go and hunt prior to the end of May or in early June. That or maybe I'll go hunt blacks down by AGL4now!!
    Thoughts? Ideas?

Tim

Nothing? Guess i'll play it smart and plan a longer trip. Hunt grizz till the end of May and hunt blacks the first week of June.

Tim

In ten years I have only heard of one bear being killed off CHSR, and that was a Grizz, I'm sure there is a few around, but not a high density area. I would go with plan "B". Lots of bears out behind Eielson Air Force Base.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

there are a few blacks taken every year near Chena Hot Springs Road. And usually 1 or 2 grizzlies.

But, I have never heard of anyone being regular about it.

even the folks that put the time in.

good luck, and let us know how you do

Chris

Standard creek road has a lot of Black Bears.

Oh ya , There is also over 25 Bait stations in there every year.

Lots of roads & trails south of the Parks Hywy. Holds lots of bears too , but same thing LOTS of Baits already out there by then.

If ya have a Boat, there are a bunch of bears along the river & slews from Fairbanks to Nennana .

Saw a couple of small Black bears off of the Fairbanks Creek road last spring. Looked like second year twins. LOTS of trails for quads. Also some Grizzly hanging around in there too.

Murphy Dome or Wickersham Dome would be good places also.

The other problem with Chena Hot springs road is all the Closed to hunting areas. Got to really watch where you are before you shoot anything out there.

Salcha area ALWAYS seems to have Bear problems in the spring too.

There are a lot of bears around Fairbanks , BUT, unless you are very lucky you probably wont see them unless you have a bait station or put in ALOT of Miles & Glassing .

Good luck & happy hunting.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!