Thread: 2 man back country tent/ sleep systems

Default 2 man back country tent/ sleep systems

Im going on a sheep hunt with my daughter looking for a light weight 2 man tent I'm think of Kelty Salida 2 any other to think of? also looking for a good sleep system he hunt ins by the Knik river in late August early September.

I take three man tents that I can sit up in. A two man is good enough for sleeping but when the weather turns it into a prison it is an awful small cell!

I agree on the 3 man! A very good sleeping pad is also key. I could make do with a tarp as long as I have my sleeping pad.

Alps Mountaineering Zephyr 2 tent has worked well for me on sheep hunts, its nice having doors on either side of the tent as well as vestibules off each side so both of you can put your packs under shelter overnight. It's not the lightest tent out there but price is hard to beat.

Depends. I agree with earlier posters on a three man(person) tent. That depends on how large the two of you are. Also tent selection will depend on budget. The Hilleberg Nallo 3GT is what it prefer for two men hunting. Also depends on if you are trying to make a more pleasant trip for your daughter(drier and more room) or more hardcore (move lighter and faster and sleep is an option).

This is a pretty popular tent here on the forum: http://www.golite.com/Shangri-La-3-Tent-P46713.aspx
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I am convinced there is no one right tent. I like four season tents cause they are bombproof, but they are heavy. I love lightweight tents or tarps but they are flimsy and poor protection a center pole or cost a million. That tent is about the best price around for the 2 man and super easy to set up with 2 poles. At 4 lbs its decent weight. And I think a dome is the best use of space in a tent (no center pole and high ceiling and walls). Lots of vestibule in that tent and rainfly all the way to the ground is nice. You can tell I have been looking at that tent. I would get some good inflatable pads (big agnes) and sleeping bags and you would be good. Make sure to get 2 of everything otherwise you know the kid will end up with the good gear.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

For durability its tough to beat the Hilleberg but I know there's several good brands out there.

I was In your same boat and went with the hilleburg nammaj3gt. It is by far the best tent I have ever owned and is my go to for most hunts. I have gotten to be a tent junkie and own quite a few. I always say I am going to try out some of my other tents but end up going with the nammaj most of the time. You really need to think about the extra room for your daughter on weather days. Also the vestibule will keep all her stuff dry. I spent four strait days in that tent with my wife and was pleased with the room. Here is a couple pics.

Quote Originally Posted by tekla View Post
    I was In your same boat and went with the hilleburg nammaj3gt. It is by far the best tent I have ever owned and is my go to for most hunts. I have gotten to be a tent junkie and own quite a few. I always say I am going to try out some of my other tents but end up going with the nammaj most of the time. You really need to think about the extra room for your daughter on weather days. Also the vestibule will keep all her stuff dry. I spent four strait days in that tent with my wife and was pleased with the room. Here is a couple pics.
    Dang nice moose! I agree hilleberg's are tough to beat. What's that tarp you have over your tent?

The tarp is a msr zing. It has come with me to McGrath, ak penninsula, and the brooks a few times. When you know it is going to rain it is a life saver. Used it to catch rain when there was none available. Also used it to keep the sun off the meat rack. Wouldn't want to carry it but has been a great addition to float hunts and drop camps. Lighter than a tarp but sets up quick and tight. Tekla

Quote Originally Posted by tekla View Post
    Palms for brow tines.....CRAZY...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

MSR Mutha Hubba: http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/te...bba-nx/product

Love all MSR Products... Bombproof, reliable, light.. Cannot ask for much more.

Cheaper option: Mountainsmith Morrison 3: http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/s...5687/cat100836

Have used this on all of my goat hunts.. Has withstood pouring rain/battering winds and held up pretty admirably in a snow storm as a 3 season (Had to dig it out a few times)

Ive found msr to be average. I definitely wouldn't put it in the same catagory as a hilleberg.

Some people don't like the nallo but I've had really good experiences with mine. Ive been in some really really bad storms with it and its done really well. I really like hillebergs material they use on there tents, if you get a tear or rip it doesn't keep spreading or ripping more. They have some cool samples at barneys to do tear tests with, its pretty impressive stuff.

Hillebergs warranty is second to none as well.

Pretty tough to beat a hilleberg. I know of one that's been on a 100 plus sheep hunts and still as good as new!

Check out all the tent threads in the gear forum too.

So I was browsing some tent maker websites and came across this one. It's a new 2 person 4 season tent by mountain hardwear. Won't break the bank like a helliberg and only 5lbs 15oz. Might be worth checking out.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/tangent-2-OU9654.html

Yeah MH is really pushing this "Trident" corner but from the promo video it sure as heck looks like two = bipod? Bit of a misnomer but probably a bit stronger. Those inside dimensions are a bit tight for a two person. Might not be too bad if you were pretty friendly but a couple stinky guys would probably benefit from a bit more elbow room, my .02

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_reb View Post
    So I was browsing some tent maker websites and came across this one. It's a new 2 person 4 season tent by mountain hardwear. Won't break the bank like a helliberg and only 5lbs 15oz. Might be worth checking out.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/tangent-2-OU9654.html