Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 man back country tent

Default 2 man back country tent

Im going on a sheep hunt with my daughter looking for a light weight 2 man tent I'm think of Kelty Salida 2 any other to think of?

Big Agnes Flycreek 2 or Flycreek 3 ...it's what I use, and know quite a few that do.

I won't recommend a specific tent, but watch Campmor, Sierra Trading and eBay.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

Hilleberg Anjan 2. MSR Hubba Hubba. Brooks Range Foray. Any Preferences as far as Price? Vestibule? Tunnel or dome? 3 season or 4 season?

Somebody was selling a big Agnes SL2 of some sort on these forums.

Go floor less. Best back country move I ever made, hands down.

It would help to know your budget. UL and/or mountain tents can get real real expensive.

Generally, duel side entry tents are the easiest to use, but front entry tents are (usually) lighter. "Three man" tents are much more liveable for two people in bad weather, and many times the weight penalty is minimal, so you might consider that option.

Yk

Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    Go floor less. Best back country move I ever made, hands down.
    Why? Just the experience of being on the ground?

SL3 or SL5, with or without the nests I love them, I've only used the next once this past fall goat hunting on Kodiak. The SL3 has plenty of room for me my buddy and my dog for a few nights. SL3 also bucks heavy winds better as well, I'd say it'd be plenty of room for the 2 of you. The SL5 doesn't way much more than the SL3 and has a good bit more room which is nice when weathered in.

Quote Originally Posted by mike h View Post
    Don't have to worry about making a mess in the tent.....dirty boots, spills, etc....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mike h View Post
    Let's see, where to begin? I have a 70 square-foot floorless shelter that is much, much more roomier then my Fly Creek 2, is just over half the weight of the Fly Creek 2, i'll take the floorless shelter over the Fly Creek in a storm any day of the week (i've had my Fly Creek totally collapse on me in a storm on Kodiak where I know my floorless shelter would not of done that). If I couple my floorless shelter with a two-person nest, it comes in right around the same weight as the Fly Creek, but has a vestibule area probably 4 to 5 times bigger than the fly Creek.

I pack a big agnes copper spur UL 3 man that I pack around. The extra space inside sure is nice.

I purchased a Mountain HardWare Drifter 3P from Beaver Sports in 2012. http://www.mountainhardwear.com/drif...ml?colorID=314

I spent 8 days in the DCUA in it last year with one other person, and we experienced multiple types of weather, and had no condensation issues. Space was comfortable for two people, especially with the large double vestibules. I camped along side the Dalton with it in zero degree weather, and it is a bit loud with the wind when it gets cold. I had a 20 below bag and it the tent did fine, but I did get a bit chilly. It's a three season tent, not a 4 season. I usually stay in it while in Chitina and while moose hunting on the Tanana Flats. Great quality, very quick to set up and very lightweight. Great buy compared to the price of some of the other tents I researched.

Kifaru Sawtooth or if you want to go real light Id look at their megatarp. Floorless saves a lot of weight and like others have said, you dont have to worry about tracking in mud and wet stuff.

Let's see, where to begin? I have a 70 square-foot floorless shelter that is much, much more roomier then my Fly Creek 2, is just over half the weight of the Fly Creek 2, i'll take the floorless shelter over the Fly Creek in a storm any day of the week (i've had my Fly Creek totally collapse on me in a storm on Kodiak where I know my floorless shelter would not of done that). If I couple my floorless shelter with a two-person nest, it comes in right around the same weight as the Fly Creek, but has a vestibule area probably 4 to 5 times bigger than the fly Creek.
    What is your floor less model?

Default 2 man back country tent

I have a Seek Outside Little Bug Out with a 3 piece vestibule. It's actually 74 sf. There's plenty of room for two people, and all your gear/backpacks etc., and even with all that there's still enough room to cook inside of it. Mine weighs 48 ounces total and that includes a carbon fiber center pole/bag, all the stakes, cordage, and stuff sack. If I want to shave a little more weight I can leave out the center pole and use one of my trekking poles instead, and I could also leave out several of the stakes. This would probably get the weight down to around 36 ounces, give or take.

Been thinking about a sheep hunting tent too. I have been looking at the Kifaru Paratarp. One pound 13oz. with pole and bag. Anyone have experience with one?

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

hilleberg nallo 2 GT. little heavier, but when the wind kicks up and the weather sets in, you won't regret it

I have a Seek Outside Little Bug Out with a 3 piece vestibule. It's actually 74 sf. There's plenty of room for two people, and all your gear/backpacks etc., and even with all that there's still enough room to cook inside of it. Mine weighs 48 ounces total and that includes a carbon fiber center pole/bag, all the stakes, cordage, and stuff sack. If I want to shave a little more weight I can leave out the center pole and use one of my trekking poles instead, and I could also leave out several of the stakes. This would probably get the weight down to around 36 ounces, give or take.
    I don't know how you guys even find all this stuff.

Like I said, I been looking to upgrade a little lighter and more packable, but now there's at least three more manufacturers on the list. Looked at Hilleb., but never knew much, didn't know about exped tents at all, and now this bug out.

I was hoping to narrow things down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast