Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rangefinder ?s

Default Rangefinder ?s

I have fought the urge to use a rangefinder however I'm finally picking one up. Has anyone used the leupold Rx-800i?
    Was considering either that or the Leica 1000R.

I understand the Leica is best. I love good optics but a rangefinder at my place will be used little.
    Actual experience with the leupold really wanted.
    Thanks!

I have thrashed two cheaper range finders because they were not water proof. The one I have now (not Leupold) has been perfect even after a soaking. I say if it is waterproof and a reasonable price, go for the leupold.

I too am looking for a rangefinder and notice some of leupold say weatherproof and not water proof. I am leaning towards the Leica. I do want to check the Vortex as well.

Looking forward to what others say.

It's tough to screw up making a rangefinder and though I agree that Leica is top notch for a hunting/lightweight LRF there are lots of suitable alternatives for half the $.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I have used both you are mentioning, I used the luppy for ONE hunt on Kodiak and immediately returned it and bought the Lieca and couldn't be happier with it. One of my best purchases. I believe Doug at camera land has a sale on the Leica 800s going on now at a smokin deal. Good luck
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    I have used both you are mentioning, I used the luppy for ONE hunt on Kodiak and immediately returned it and bought the Lieca and couldn't be happier with it. One of my best purchases. I believe Doug at camera land has a sale on the Leica 800s going on now at a smokin deal. Good luck
    I also, had the leupold first. Maybe I'm a dummy, but I found it had too much going on. Sold it and got the Leica and could not be more pleased. My main priority after reliability is ease of use, and it takes the cake
    its better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

Quote Originally Posted by AK-HUNT View Post
    I have fought the urge to use a rangefinder however I'm finally picking one up. Has anyone used the leupold Rx-800i?
    Was considering either that or the Leica 1000R.

I understand the Leica is best. I love good optics but a rangefinder at my place will be used little.
    Actual experience with the leupold really wanted.
    Thanks!
    i have the 800 and cariak2fl is right, it has a lot of options to it. i like that though. the one thing that bothers me is the button you push to get the range makes a very noticeable/audible "click." the nikon i used before this was quiet as a bunny. the 800tbr w/dna has a cool feature called 'trophy scale' or something like that. it allows you to measure width. i won't be relying solely on that but it can't hurt in making that "is this over 50" decision. other than the 'click' when pushing the range finding button i would definitely recommend it...at least more than the vortex.

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    What was reason for return? Thx.

I have used the leupold on a several hunts and have had good luck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by AK-HUNT View Post
    What was reason for return? Thx.
    I couldn't get it to pick up a bear that was inside 500yds. Closer to 350 and another guy had an old style Leica and it ranged it no problem.
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

I also have the Leupold and now it stays in my bow case. Mine would not range beyond 200 yards unless it was a clear day. Replaced it with a Leica and never had any issues with the Leica.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Leica it is. Ironically I always tell guys never skimp on boots, binos, or backpack. I guess some of that advice would work.....
    Thanks all.

Rangefinder question....

As far as the leica goes is the number stated on the rangefinder what it will range animals at? or is that the reflective object number?

For instance the Luppy rx-1000 only ranges animals to 600yards. And the vortex 1000 only ranges animals to 500. I haven't found anything under leicas specs or description that say anything different as far as different objects different ranges...

Anyone catch my drift?

I tried a different leupold model years and found it to be to complicated. It was more for bowhunters with angles, etc. I got a Nikon 800 something or another. It's worked great for me for many years now. Very simple, just click a button and you have the range. Mine is the 800 yard model, but if the object is shiny like a rock face, building, etc. I can get a ranges up to about 1000 yards. For trees, grassy slopes, etc. more like 600-800 yards.

If you don't want to spend too much money, I'd recommend Nikon....also, don't look through a Leica or Swarovski....you'll be ruined forever and hate everything else

Quote Originally Posted by mtnclimber View Post
    Rangefinder question....

As far as the leica goes is the number stated on the rangefinder what it will range animals at? or is that the reflective object number?

For instance the Luppy rx-1000 only ranges animals to 600yards. And the vortex 1000 only ranges animals to 500. I haven't found anything under leicas specs or description that say anything different as far as different objects different ranges...

Anyone catch my drift?
    I once ranger a cow in a swamp and Leica said 837 yards. We watched her for a while, and then paced it off at over 800 paces. id like to think it was pretty close
    its better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

Leica is the one to have!

Quote Originally Posted by oakman View Post
    I tried a different leupold model years and found it to be to complicated. It was more for bowhunters with angles, etc. I got a Nikon 800 something or another. It's worked great for me for many years now. Very simple, just click a button and you have the range. Mine is the 800 yard model, but if the object is shiny like a rock face, building, etc. I can get a ranges up to about 1000 yards. For trees, grassy slopes, etc. more like 600-800 yards.

If you don't want to spend too much money, I'd recommend Nikon....also, don't look through a Leica or Swarovski....you'll be ruined forever and hate everything else
    A rangefinder is the only thing that I'm not worried about the glass quality. (i never thought id say that) All i am looking for is consistent Ranges at game in the field in Good and bad weather up to 700 yards. How clear the glass is doesn't bother me. With that being said, id imagine the clearer the glass, the better ranging system on the rangefinder... Is everyone loving leicas because of the consistency?

A rangefinder is the only thing that I'm not worried about the glass quality. (i never thought id say that) All i am looking for is consistent Ranges at game in the field in Good and bad weather up to 700 yards. How clear the glass is doesn't bother me. With that being said, id imagine the clearer the glass, the better ranging system on the rangefinder... Is everyone loving leicas because of the consistency?
    Your point is missed on lots of folks. I used various Bushnell LRFs for years with great success, not because the optics were brilliant rather that the ranging system was reliable. I 've used a Zeiss Victory for the past several seasons and like it's size, its neither too small or too big and its ranging abilities. It will reliable range animals (moose and brown bear) at 1200+ yards and has done so in horrible conditions (snow, rain, bright sunlight) like clockwork. I'm not saying its the best, but for a hunting LRF I've never wanted more.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    Your point is missed on lots of folks. I used various Bushnell LRFs for years with great success, not because the optics were brilliant rather that the ranging system was reliable. I 've used a Zeiss Victory for the past several seasons and like it's size, its neither too small or too big and its ranging abilities. It will reliable range animals (moose and brown bear) at 1200+ yards and has done so in horrible conditions (snow, rain, bright sunlight) like clockwork. I'm not saying its the best, but for a hunting LRF I've never wanted more.
    Thanks i think you understood what i was asking. I might be able to get a pro deal on bushnell so that works out good. I don't mind paying for the leicas if the ranging capabilities are better i just don't want to be paying for the glass as thats not my intended purpose.

Agreed, I would go with a Vortex rangefinder. Electronics break and when my vortex broke they replaced it no questions asked. For 380 bucks I think it was well worth the money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast