Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for 6x6 ranger

Default Ideas for 6x6 ranger

I just purchased a 6x6 ranger it is supposed to show up the beginning of April. So got a windshield and wiper and a rear windshield and a 4500lb winch and 27/10/12 mud lite tires. What I'm looking for is maybe some pics of roofs and of rear side racks aaa I plan on building my own. Thank you in advance!

On my old 2009 I used 5/4 plywood basically the same shape as the factory ABS plastic, but slightly longer front to back, to prevent rain from falling in between half windshield and leading edge. The plywood didnt look the greatest, but it made mounting lights, overhead gun rack, and swivel seat a piece of cake. I have plans to construct a new one from aluminum on my new 2014, but depending on material cost and how well the plywood worked before, i may go back that route.
    As for rear rack ideas, check out coloradoruggedracks.com for ideas, and then tailor it to your needs
    its better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

A very inexpensive rear rack is made with PVC pipe and then a tarp. Light weight and holds up fine while you can make it any size you want. This frame can be used as a template for a welded frame if you want to go that way...the advantage of PVC is that you can try a few designs before you commit to welding. An old standby is a frame of wood. A canvas tarp works great, but the blue ones are a cheap alternative that will need to be replaced if there is any abuse as they don't last. If you are enclosing your cab,you may want to reconsider the rear windshield as Every puddle you hit will cause steam from the exhaust to fill the cab...a real drag IMHO as you have to have air flow to get the steam out. The tarp for the box will prevent weather from entering the cab pretty well, so I would not use the rear window, but that is just my preference. Be creative and have fun :-)
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

So I went to the polaris shop that I ordered the ranger from and he tells me that polaris in the states hasn't shipped my ranger yet he also said everyone else in the state is having problems getting the grey rangers in. I wonder why that is?

Demand is high on them in Alaska. There has always been a waiting line to get a 6x6 ranger up here. I love mine. A 13 with 27's. Full cab. Heater and defrosters. Steam isn't a problem. 4500# winches front and rear. Led lights up top front and back. Dual batteries and a few more goodies.

Because they aren't getting them from the States, they are getting them from Mexico, and you had better be on Mexico time and chill big daddy.

If you have not done it yet, get a 'snatch block' and extra cable/chains for when you might get stuck! Several of the larger machines can be a bear when they get stuck and a lot of people do not carry the 'right' equipment for 'self recovery'. Other wise have lots of fun!!!!

The best upgrade I did to my Ranger 6x6 besides tires, was the bronze alloy parking brake pads by Highlifter. The stock parking brake pads are junk.

http://www.highlifter.com/p-3960-hig...e-pad-kit.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    If you have not done it yet, get a 'snatch block' and extra cable/chains for when you might get stuck! Several of the larger machines can be a bear when they get stuck and a lot of people do not carry the 'right' equipment for 'self recovery'. Other wise have lots of fun!!!!
    Along with that, either a small dancing anchor or as I did. I have 5 pieces of rebar cut to the length of the dry storage box. And an axe that always go with me. When buried along in a muskeg swamp with nothing to hook a winch too you will be glad to have them. Drive them into the ground a few feet away from each other in a star pattern. Then weave your winch cable between them. You would be amazed how much pull you can get out of them. The d anforth works great too, but can be tough to retrieve if it buries good and deep to get a solid bite. And I will x2's a snatch block!

Ranger still not here was supposed to be here first of April!! Had plans for bear baiting!! I'm pretty frustrated!!

Sorry to hear, sounds like the same luck you're having with the Glacier Craft .....(sorry, couldn't resist )
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Where did you order from? I called HPP in willow today and they had 3 green ones in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    Sorry to hear, sounds like the same luck you're having with the Glacier Craft .....(sorry, couldn't resist )
    Now that's funny right there. Glacier craft funny.

Here is a rack and bumper winch guard I built for a 1S1K on his new Ranger. It really increases the bed capacity and he hauls an inflatable boat on top to remote lakes.

US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Nice looking rack. I'm going to bend up something similar for mine out of aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by BAR300 View Post
    Now that's funny right there. Glacier craft funny.
    Funny and just wrong all at the same time.

Thanks T! And yes glacier craft has dropped the ball on my fathers boat 5 years and still waiting!! And as for the ranger I'm wIting on it supposedly shipped today..

Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    The best upgrade I did to my Ranger 6x6 besides tires, was the bronze alloy parking brake pads by Highlifter. The stock parking brake pads are junk.

http://www.highlifter.com/p-3960-hig...e-pad-kit.aspx
    What year or your rig. It says it won't fit my 2014 800 6x6. I thought they were all the same pads.

Default Ranger Roof & Cargo Rack

I have built several roofs over the years. My latest is marine 1/2" plywood with epoxy resin. I prefer this build as I can build it to mount anything I want included in the rig, Lights, radios, etc... I also use it as a shooting platform, cargo rack, and standing platform.

I also have a rack built for the back end that I haul a chainsaw, shovel, and other items tied off to. The main problem with the back rack is that trees gouge the rack off when I'm busting brush and trees tip in to catch it.

Next gen of the back rack will come all the way to the roof so that trees slide over the whole unit!

I've been building my own roofs since 2007, and prefer my roofs to the factory made ones.

I'm not sure what is loading for pictures....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast