Thread: Old flashers_Dodgers

Default Old flashers_Dodgers

I have a bunch of flashers and dodgers that I'm 'refurbishing'. Steel wool does wonders. My question has to do with the welded ring on the ends of the flasher body. The welded rings seem strong enough, but the swivels that are attached are shot. The swivels need replaced. So ... should I remove the swivel, add a split ring to the welded ring, and a new swivel ... OR should I remove the welded ring, add a new swivel, and try to re-weld the ring? Another option would be completely remove the welded ring and go to a split ring and swivel in it's place. Not a big deal, just curious what others have done.

Truenorthed - In the past I have gone the whole route and replaced the welded ring with a new ring and new swivel. I wouldn't recommend that to anyone unless you have a quality gas welding unit. Since that experience I would be much more inclined to leave the welded ring intact, nip-off the worn-out swivel and replace it by using both a high-quality split ring and ball bearing swivel. Make certain that the replacement swivel is at least as big as the one removed. I have used this method and I haven't detected any difference in the action of the repaired flashers and/or dodgers.

Same here on the swivels and rings.

As for the steel wool, you may eventually be unhappy with the results. All those scratches are salt magnets and you get into a Ground Hog Day cycle of cleaning. I clean and polish my old ones with Flitz Paste. Much better results, both short and long term. Shinier after you use it, and they stay that way.