Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 88

Thread: What does remote land truly cost?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,587

    Default What does remote land truly cost?

    Okay folks. So, you guys sort of know me-I grew up in Florida and I've lived in Anchorage about 9 years now. I'm currently in Florida settling my Mom's "estate" (if you can call it that). She died last month and was my last living parent. I'm an only child, so I now have the task of disposing of her home and assets. The main point of contention of which is to rent out or sell her home, which is paid for. One possibility is to use the proceeds from the sale of her home as start up funds for an off grid homestead somewhere in Alaska. But what will that truly cost?

    To make it worth doing, I envision remote land in area that is at least somewhat suited for agricultural pursuits, with unrestrictable access to water, enough nearby forest to provide timber for building and fuel, and accessible NOT by plane, but rather on a navigable river that can be used to reach the area by freight canoe in summer and snow machine by winter. It must be off a size suffice t to support a very small family (say 3 people, but most of the year just me, myself, and I.) Essentially, I wish to create a new Zion for myself ini the wilderness. Where is that place, and what does it cost, per acre, approximately?

    My girlfriend's parents got their land in a land lottery back in the 80's. Is that the cheapest way to buy land, or is it better to buy from a private seller? Are those the only two ways to acquire land? (I know there is no more "homesteading" in the old sense of claiming, staking' and settling free government land.) Seems to me those land lotteries are pretty much all for recreational purposes and packaged in small parcels, or, worse yet, "subdivisions."

    Another question. Does remote land in Alaska ever appreciate inn value? It would seem to me that it does not, given how much land is out there. The purpose of this question is to get a feeling for the idea of Alaska land as an investment, which I really don't think it is, not in the view of land speculation anyway.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,378

    Default

    commenting to simply follow the information here.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    today-Idaho
    Posts
    394

    Default

    http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/landsale/
    You really have three options depending on residency.
    waaay too much information there for me to try to cover.
    i bought 8 acres near a small stream not far from a road. You should have no problem finding what you seek, best of luck.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    312

    Default

    The way I read it you want 20 to 30 remote acres,.. You are looking at about 74k

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,587

    Default

    Yeah, 20+ acres sounds right. $74k doesn't lol. Using the links, that Nikster posted, there is a list of Base Appraisals for key parcels for past sales for fe simple (non subdivided) land. The most recent was a land sale near the Steese Hwy, with no road access, walk-in only, and that was just over $1k per acre for parcels over 20 acres. That is, of course, not exemplary of the area I described, but it's a start.

  6. #6
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    I don't have a suggestion on where to build but I do believe that selling the property in Florida is far and away the better decision vs trying to be a landlord from 4k miles away.

  7. #7

    Default

    "FEE" Simple is a type of ownership. There is "NO" land that is NOT part of a subdivision. NONE.......All land is part of some subdivision.... ALL.


    Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    Yeah, 20+ acres sounds right. $74k doesn't lol. Using the links, that Nikster posted, there is a list of Base Appraisals for key parcels for past sales for fe simple (non subdivided) land. The most recent was a land sale near the Steese Hwy, with no road access, walk-in only, and that was just over $1k per acre for parcels over 20 acres. That is, of course, not exemplary of the area I described, but it's a start.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    "FEE" Simple is a type of ownership. There is "NO" land that is NOT part of a subdivision. NONE.......All land is part of some subdivision.... ALL.
    That just not true I know of several cabins that are not in a subdivision.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I don't have a suggestion on where to build but I do believe that selling the property in Florida is far and away the better decision vs trying to be a landlord from 4k miles away.
    Oh I covered that. I have a local family member who will act as agent, screen renters, collect rents, maintain the property, etc...for a fee of course. I estimate that, after cost of ownership, less paying someone to manage it for me, I'll make about $300/ month on it before taxes IF it stays rented. If not, I've got enough cash on hand to keep it in the family name for about two years. (One argument for keeping it in the family is, if things get really bad for me-always a definite possibility in my life-I could move back there and walk to the nearby McDonald's to work part time and survive. Or my son, who lives in Florida, could live there when he reaches adulthood. So, the greater value isn't in the resale value of the home, but in the fact that it's completely paid for.

    Now, having said all that, I pray to God that He never makes me live there ever again.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    "FEE" Simple is a type of ownership. There is "NO" land that is NOT part of a subdivision. NONE.......All land is part of some subdivision.... ALL.
    Yeah I don't understand that. Subdivision is where they have mapped out parcels WITH ROADS planned etc etc. I thought fee simple meant here is a chunk of land, there is nothing out there. Go. live long and prosper.

    At any rate, what. I am trying to communicate is the idea that the land is not meant for further community development.

    Edit: for example. I don't want to buy land and then, 10 yrs later, some jack wagon builds a road into the area. The next thing you know everything is vandalized and/or stolen. (As in, look at Oil Well Road/Trapper Creek area.)

  11. #11
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    $3600/yr isn't likely to amount to any profit. It will easily get spent in maintenance costs and cleaning/repairs between renters. I spent a lot of time around military people that tried the long distance landlord thing and in nearly every case it was more stress and cost than it was worth. The only exception was people close to retirement that were planning on returning to the home in less than 3 years.

  12. #12

    Default

    The planet Earth is a subdivision of the Milky Way galaxy, Which is a subdivision of the Universe. ALL of Alaska is subdivided into Townships and Ranges, which are subdivided into Sections, which are further subdivided into sub-sections & 1/4 sections. America is a subdivision of the Western hemisphere and then into the Northern hemisphere. America is subdivided into States. And so it goes. Everything is part of a subdivision.

    I am an Expert Witness in both Alaska District Court and Alaska Superior Court on matters of Real Estate.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    The planet Earth is a subdivision of the Milky Way galaxy, Which is a subdivision of the Universe. ALL of Alaska is subdivided into Section, which are a subdivision of Townships and Ranges, Sections are further subdivided into sub-sections. America is a subdivision of the Western hemisphere and then into the Northern hemisphere. America is subdivided into States. And so it goes. Everything is part of a subdivision.

    I am an Expert Witness in both Alaska District Court and Alaska Superior Court on matters of Real Estate.
    Ya we know that, but when we talk about subdivided nowadays it is usually parcels side by side 5 acres or much less. Pretty cut and dry

  14. #14

    Default

    Nothing "Cut & Dry" about that, that definition is a the whim of the person doing the talking. You say 5 acres, the next guy may say 360 acres (which is one Section).

    Quote Originally Posted by iyouktug View Post
    Ya we know that, but when we talk about subdivided nowadays it is usually parcels side by side 5 acres or much less. Pretty cut and dry

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    The planet Earth is a subdivision of the Milky Way galaxy, Which is a subdivision of the Universe. ALL of Alaska is subdivided into Section, which are a subdivision of Townships and Ranges, Sections are further subdivided into sub-sections. America is a subdivision of the Western hemisphere and then into the Northern hemisphere. America is subdivided into States. And so it goes. Everything is part of a subdivision.

    I am an Expert Witness in both Alaska District Court and Alaska Superior Court on matters of Real Estate.

    LOL oh wow, you just reminded me of that scene in Thornton Wilder's play "Our Town" where the kid gets a letter addressed to Grover's Corner, New Hampshire, United States, North America, Earth, The Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe." LOL

    I'm going to Grover's Corner, NH (Peteborough) next week, btw.

  16. #16

    Default

    Do you see the communication problem. When you say not in a subdivision exactly what do you mean......??? When someones else say's NOT in a subdivision What do they mean.....???

    Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    LOL oh wow, you just reminded me of that scene in Thornton Wilder's play "Our Town" where the kid gets a letter addressed to Grover's Corner, New Hampshire, United States, North America, Earth, The Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe." LOL

    I'm going to Grover's Corner, NH (Peteborough) next week, btw.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Nothing "Cut & Dry" about that, that definition is a the whim of the person doing the talking.
    Can we just kind of let that go for now? All I meant was I didn't want to be around people, which meant I didn't want to buy a tract of land that already had a community plan. A friend of a friend bought land in a sub division known as Brown Bear, and there are roads all throughout that place. street signs, too. I hear they are already talking about running power lines to every parcel. Oh good grief Charlie Brown.

    I also hear they are about to pave part of Oil Well Rd, too. What's the point of having a remote land parcel that has a paved road leading to your front door? The frontier is closed. Time to move on.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    952

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Do you see the communication problem. When you say not in a subdivision exactly what do you mean......??? When someones else say's NOT in a subdivision What do they mean.....???
    For crying out loud, you know what he means. Something like this:



    A larger parcel that was "subdivided" into much smaller individual lots of roughly equal size, be it 10 acres, 5 acres, or whatever, with platted right of ways (roads) and often covenants.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    952

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    A friend of a friend bought land in a sub division known as Brown Bear, and there are roads all throughout that place. street signs, too. I hear they are already talking about running power lines to every parcel. Oh good grief Charlie Brown.

    I also hear they are about to pave part of Oil Well Rd, too. What's the point of having a remote land parcel that has a paved road leading to your front door? The frontier is closed. Time to move on.
    I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss subdivisions outright. They aren't all the same. Our lot in Trapper Creek Glenn subdivision shows "roads" on the map, but you'd be hard press to call what we have out there roads. I don't see utilities coming into it for a long, long, long, time. Yes, there are other people around but they aren't right on top of you. The typical scenario goes: buy lot with or with out cabin; get all excited; go to lot/cabin every weekend for a year or two; much less often after that; eventually move out of state or get involved with family activities in town and hardly ever go to the lot/cabin. So, much of the time it is quite peaceful and even lonely in the subdivision.

  20. #20
    Member Tearbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,986

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    Edit: for example. I don't want to buy land and then, 10 yrs later, some jack wagon builds a road into the area. The next thing you know everything is vandalized and/or stolen. (As in, look at Oil Well Road/Trapper Creek area.)
    Hate to break it to you...but wherever you may be, makes no difference if a road is there or not, if 'you' can get in there, then vandals and thieves can as well.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •