Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenai Brown Bear Registration Hunt

Question Kenai Brown Bear Registration Hunt

The warmer weather has me wondering whether or not our Brown Bear Registration hunt on the Kenai will still be valid. I just saw a note that there has been bear activity sighted already. Maybe I'll still be able to use that metal tag? OUTSIDE of the refuge, of course.........Have seen an EO yet.

M

Quote Originally Posted by Sterlingmike View Post
    The warmer weather has me wondering whether or not our Brown Bear Registration hunt on the Kenai will still be valid. I just saw a note that there has been bear activity sighted already. Maybe I'll still be able to use that metal tag? OUTSIDE of the refuge, of course.........Have seen an EO yet.

M
    They changed the reg from one bear every 4 years, to one every year, so they want to kill some bears. Your tag is good till May 31 so get after it...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Brown bear hunting on the Refuge is currently open! The closure ended on Nov 30th, 2013 IRRC.

You won't need a new paper permit, BUT you will need a new metal locking tag because those expire on Dec 31 of the year stamped on the tag.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Gunner View Post
    You won't need a new paper permit, BUT you will need a new metal locking tag because those expire on Dec 31 of the year stamped on the tag.
    Only the government...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do know the refuge has issued a press release that bait stations are for black bear only
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Saw fresh tracks on Quartz Creek 4 days ago. Go get em!

Homer Dave, do you have a link to the press release?

I spoke with the refuge. NO BAITING. Also, anticipate a short spring season for Brown Bear on refuge lands.

Quote Originally Posted by Searunner View Post
    ..... Also, anticipate a short spring season for Brown Bear on refuge lands.
    Nothin' new here....move along please.........lol

Heaven forbid we should shoot a brown bear on their precious refuge......

Oh and btw.....it is THEIRS, because they sure as hell don't think it's mine......

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan Gunner View Post
    Brown bear hunting on the Refuge is currently open! The closure ended on Nov 30th, 2013 IRRC.

New locking tag. Boy, am i glad you reminded me. I have the old one hanging on my truck visor. Holy Moley.

Thanks

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Sterlingmike View Post
    New locking tag. Boy, am i glad you reminded me. I have the old one hanging on my truck visor. Holy Moley.

Thanks

Mike
    Yeah, you'll need one of them........lol.

Good Luck!!!

i'm gonna post here just to keep my ear in this thread. nothing much to add. cept the weather sucks.

Overheard an interesting conversation at the refuge the other day. They indicated they would be shutting down ALL baiting if too many browns are killed in proximity to bait sites, even if they aren't killed by the bait site permittee. Also heard a comment that if hunters would stop harvesting sows they would be more apt to leave the season open. Thought i'd share.

According to the Kenai Brown Bear Report submitted at the recent BOG meeting, ADF&G is going to manage for 12 female bears in the "frontcountry" and 5 female bears in the "backcountry", which looking at their map is for the most part off-refuge and on-refuge. So looks like ADF&G is planning on a 17 female bear cap this year unless things changed at the BOG meeting. It will be interesting to see what the refuge does because 5 female bears on the refuge seems fairly conservative to me and according to the refuge people, on-refuge is the only hunting activity they can regulate. Will they close the refuge if they consider too many sows to be shot off-refuge? Things will get real interesting if they do that. Or will they have like a 1 or 2 female bear cap on the refuge, which would almost be a closure because maybe a handful of bears would be harvested before a cap like that was reached.

As far as the baiting thing I bet the refuge folks will watch baiters closely this year. I sure wouldn't shoot a brown bear anywhere near a bait site on the refuge. If that was what the refuge folks were implying to you Limon, that baiters would shoot brown bear a couple hundred yards away from a bait station that would be drawn to that area because of a bait station, but they would be worried about proving in a court of law that the hunter actually baited a bear in?

Quote Originally Posted by 33outdoorsman View Post
    As far as the baiting thing I bet the refuge folks will watch baiters closely this year. I sure wouldn't shoot a brown bear anywhere near a bait site on the refuge. If that was what the refuge folks were implying to you Limon, that baiters would shoot brown bear a couple hundred yards away from a bait station that would be drawn to that area because of a bait station, but they would be worried about proving in a court of law that the hunter actually baited a bear in?
    I'm not sure I understand your question, but the essence of the conversation I overheard was that they plan to shut down black bear baiting if browns are being killed in the area open for baiting.

As I said previously, I overheard this conversation that was going on behind an open door, I don't know what they are openly telling people but I don't think its any secret they don't want people hunting browns on the refuge.

They can do as they please as far as regulations on the refuge and I wouldn't expect the refuge to be open very long this spring for brown bear hunting specifically.

Separate question - the registration permit is only available in person at the Soldotna ADF&G office, right? I really want to do a ski-based hunt in a few weeks, but I need to find time to get down there to pick up a permit. Can someone refresh my memory as to where the office is in relation to the Soldotna airport? I get off work at 2:30 and could feasibly be in the air by 3:10, but I'd need to boogie from the airport to the office pretty quickly. Perhaps I can call a cab if it's too far to quickly walk.

Once again the feds interfering where they should just go away. We should just get used to the fact that we can kiss our once good moose hunting here, gone forever.
    If you hate America and want it destroyed vote for Obama, if you hate hunting hire in anti hunters to manage game.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I thought they changed that Brian and you can now just get them online. I'll check

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Separate question - the registration permit is only available in person at the Soldotna ADF&G office, right? I really want to do a ski-based hunt in a few weeks, but I need to find time to get down there to pick up a permit. Can someone refresh my memory as to where the office is in relation to the Soldotna airport? I get off work at 2:30 and could feasibly be in the air by 3:10, but I'd need to boogie from the airport to the office pretty quickly. Perhaps I can call a cab if it's too far to quickly walk.

Try here and follow prompts till You get to unit 7 and 15 BB reg hunt

https://secure.wildlife.alaska.gov/i...rmit_shop_next

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Brian, if it turns out that you have to pick the permit in person I'll gladly pick you up at the airport and bring you to F&G. Call me I 'll send my phone number by PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast