Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the PERFECT Barrel length (For YOU) on an AR-15........???

Default What is the PERFECT Barrel length (For YOU) on an AR-15........???

For "You", not for some government application. For you what would be your opinion of the perfect barrel length for whatever your application/use is or could be in the future.......???

Feel free to list more than one, but please state your first choice. Pretend you are having one built to your specifications.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

For cartridges such as are used in most ARs, 20" is my minimum.

The short barrels I HEAR at the range, especially the 14"ers have a horrific sound, even with the ear protection I use. I would think that the velocity loss is considerable, and should be a worthy consideration.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Smitty.......Good Points.

For me 18" first choice.
    Second choice 20".

I mostly carry mine slung........But I really enjoy the forward balance of the 20" barrel, so I can carry it like a Win. 92' in my left hand. I just picked up a top-shelf Noveske w/20" Medium Varmint Barrel. Sweeeeeeet

I was wrong in some places, but felt it was better to just wipe my whole post and link to this article I found looking for the other one:

http://sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=1093

The drop in velocity is pretty close to what I thought but it was about 50fps per inch in this test. Anyway, the article is pretty interesting.

For me, I like the 16" barrel. They're cheaper... LOL.

OH, btw, 14" with a suppressor... quiet and doesn't bother neighbors... LOL.

For shooting I much prefer 20" barrels, though I can suffer through a 22 or 24 if I must. For me, it's about the noise not the ballistics. I do have a couple 16" uppers for hunting (calling predators, snow-go hunting, etc.) and can't find much fault with them--the decrease in velocity is overrated IME. 18" seems a good compromise, and if I could only own one then maybe it'd make sense. I'd rather own multiple versions and not compromise. Suum cuique.......
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Depends upon the caliber and use but for .223/5.56 it's hard to beat an 18".
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    I was wrong in some places, but felt it was better to just wipe my whole post and link to this article I found looking for the other one:

http://sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=1093

The drop in velocity is pretty close to what I thought but it was about 50fps per inch in this test. Anyway, the article is pretty interesting.

For me, I like the 16" barrel. They're cheaper... LOL.

Wowsey, what a website.

A loss of 240 fps from 20" to 14" is a LOT.

I suggested, "considerable" but that is More than I expected.

Who can pass that off as a non-issue????

''""The authors have serious concerns about these issues of reliability, function, lethality, and velocity as the barrel lengths decrease."''""

""""Altering barrel length seriously affects not only weapon reliability, but also projectile velocity (including kinetic energy), non-suppressed sound levels, and flash intensity. Short barreled gas operated weapons, of which the AR-15/M4 platform is of interest, pose increasing reliability errors with decreasing barrel length.""""

Thanks Mobius
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    Really? Does a suppressor quiet things down?

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

22+ inches modified to use a 700 action.

HP Service Rifle shooter here, so 20" is required.

I have a Bushy Dissipator 16" upper that's pretty nice but the barrel is too heavy. Just built the Wife a light weight 16" and it's got a great feel.

I think the perfect barrel length for me kind of depends on the intended purpose of the rifle. I'm partial to the 14.5" barrel with a pinned flash hider or muzzle brake. For me, I prefer a "handier", lighter weight carbine. I have a few buddies that prefer the 20" heavy barrel. I don't hunt with my AR's, so the velocity loss from a 14.5" doesn't mean anything to me. There are so many options for barrels, which is one of the reasons I love the AR's so much. I've owned 20's, 18's, 16's, and now use 14.5's. If I were building a 223 AR for hunting, I'd be using an 18" midlength with a faster twist for using heavier bullets (+75gr).
    I'm confident with my 14.5" AR's of hitting an 18" gong at 200yds with an Aimpoint T1 (in a supported position).

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Really? Does a suppressor quiet things down?

Smitty of the North
    Quiets the report down, reduces muzzle flash to nothing, and removes the pressure wave that you would feel from a brake. If you shoot super sonic, you will still get a crack from the bullet breaking to sound barrier, but that's about all. If you shoot sub-sonic, you won't even get that. sounds about like a pellet gun then. Oh and on a .22LR? If you run a bolt action and subsonic ammo, you basically have a near silent gun. The only sound is the thwack of the round hitting the dirt (or target). If you use semi-auto, you'll hear the action cycling. Depending on the rifle set-up, you may get some gas blow back in the face, but a bolt gun wouldn't do that.

To me, the main thing is the lack of over pressure for by standers. It's nice not to feel pounded in the chest every time you fire.

I don't think there is a "perfect" barrel length. If there was, every one would buy it.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

And that is why I stated clearly in the Original Post, " For you what would be your opinion of the perfect barrel length for whatever your application/use is or could be in the future".

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    I don't think there is a "perfect" barrel length. If there was, every one would buy it.

To me it's not merely an issue of length, but balance. I've had several 16" tubes and while I liked the balance I didn't care for the bark shooting from a covered bench. 20" get's rid of the bark, but my RRA predator persuit was nose heavy.

To me WOA has the perfect solution in their SDM barrel, 20" length to cut down the bark and add some speed, and a proper contour and fluted so it still balances nicely.

Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    Man, haven't heard from you for a while but as usual your spot on. I prefer a medium weight 18-20 inch barrel. I like the RR Predator Pursuit.

I choose a 16" bull barrel for my first build, I actually choose 16 hoping for reduced velocity since I was building it for fur hunting. I've decided I just HAVE to build another with a light weight 16", that bull barrel gets heavy!

Some day i'd like to have a 24" for shooting off the bench, gotta keep saving!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    To me it's not merely an issue of length, but balance. I've had several 16" tubes and while I liked the balance I didn't care for the bark shooting from a covered bench. 20" get's rid of the bark, but my RRA predator persuit was nose heavy.

To me WOA has the perfect solution in their SDM barrel, 20" length to cut down the bark and add some speed, and a proper contour and fluted so it still balances nicely.

Have you tried this barrel by WOA? They want a premium for it and that's kept me away. I'm thinking for that kind of jingle I could go Lilja or another top shelf maker..........
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Yes, I built my current upper with the sdm and IMHO it's worth the money. WOA is a fairly respected builder albeit without the big well known name. They also had a fairly fast turnaround.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I have barrels from an 8.5" in 6.8 SPC to 16.1" for 5.56. My 12.7" 5.56 gun w/ suppressor is my go to defensive carbine. For hunting I like 16" barrels. Nice to have a quiver to draw from so you can match the right tool for the job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast