Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sitka gear

Default sitka gear

anybody own any sikta gear/clothing? worth the money? im going on a goat hunt this fall, looking for some gear to keep me warm and dry

Save the $$ and find something else. Krytek, sherpa, mountain hard wear, north face, etc. I would suggest the best rain gear, everything else not so much.

I've used a number of their items, along with a broad mix of other outdoor brands (not so many "hunting" brands). Mostly it's pretty decent stuff and I wouldn't hesitate to use it on a goat hunt. They have made a few dudes over the years, particularly in the gore-tex and pack lines. The latest gore-tex I got from them seems to be much improved, but it's just a sample of one so far. Other stuff I've gotten from them has been above average quality of construction and materials, and has lasted very very well in some rough country.

Pricing wise, they typically are matched with the top lines from the major outdoor gear makers. Not a "value" option at all. "Worth the money" is a trick question though, because that all depends on your disposable income situation!

As Northway says though, you've got a lot of options. If you HAVE to have camo, they are worth considering, but so are a few other brands.
    Yk

I have some Sitka gear. I like their old mountain shirts. Nowadays I find Kuiu to be the best gear out there.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

I have the Contrail Wind Shirt which is basically a light wind breaker. Bought it on line for cheap (camofire) and would not recommend it.

Just got the cloudburst rain jacket, yet to have it exposed to rain. Hope the material is tough enough to with stand bushwhacking. Got it for $250 ($100 off). I don't think I would pay regular price for most of there stuff.

My wife uses a coat and pants in their 90% line (about 3 or 4 years old now). We won it at an RMEF banquet otherwise she'd be wearing helly Hansen all the time.

It works pretty good overall. My disposable income level won't allow me to suit up in it.

Expensive for a marginal value.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Leo adventures gives a Sitka pro deal. 40% off.

"Worth the money" depends entirely on your income. Its good stuff, but I think there is better value out there.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

while i dont get too crazy about camo i did happen upon some good deals on sitka stuff a while back the crew shirts and lighter jackets are nice if the weather cooperates but for some of the prices they charge i would certain look elsewhere unless you find some great deals. black ovis has some sitka stuff left thats around 20% off. i wouldnt buy any unless its on great clearance, just too expensive.

I have tried all the Sitka, Kuiu etc...its all quality gear. When it comes to storms, goat hunts and mountains. Take a HH Parka and never look back. At least you'll have your Sitka gear on under it..and it will be dry....
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    I have tried all the Sitka, Kuiu etc...its all quality gear. When it comes to storms, goat hunts and mountains. Take a HH Parka and never look back. At least you'll have your Sitka gear on under it..and it will be dry....
    HH weighs 3x as much as my 3 man tent and takes up 4x the space in my pack. No way would I ever go back. HH is the best gear I have found for standing in the rain fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post

Ha. Funny, but if you don't think you can buy more expensive gear, you haven't priced high end mountain stuff recently! Compared to the mountain brands, Sitka is only average for puffys and softshells, and I could easily spend more on a Mountain Hardwear or Arctyrex hard shell jacket.

Expensive is all relative to what you are comparing it too (and how much you can afford).

Yk

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowknife View Post
    Ha. Funny, but if you don't think you can buy more expensive gear, you haven't priced high end mountain stuff recently! Compared to the mountain brands, Sitka is only average for puffys and softshells, and I could easily spend more on a Mountain Hardwear or Arctyrex hard shell jacket.

Expensive is all relative to what you are comparing it too (and how much you can afford).

Yk
    True, but the high end stuff would actually work. Not only that but it would work for more than one year. Of the few pieces of Sitka gear I have owned only one has survived multiple seasons. The gloves and pants didn't survive one hunt. Only my ascent jacket has survived multiple years of regular use. I will say that I really like that jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    True, but the high end stuff would actually work. Not only that but it would work for more than one year. Of the few pieces of Sitka gear I have owned only one has survived multiple seasons. The gloves and pants didn't survive one hunt. Only my ascent jacket has survived multiple years of regular use. I will say that I really like that jacket.
    On the other hand, my 90% pants on on their 5th winter of pretty steady use, and just finally starting to break down. My 2009 Kelvin vest has many hundreds of days of wear, and has outlasted a series of "mountain brand" puffys purchased during the same time frame. Dewpoint Jacket I've got is well above average durable for the flyweight class. The gaiters made it through two years of abuse, which is pretty good for something subjected to that kind of wear.

My recent "high end" Mountain Hardwear "OutDry" gloves on the other hand, didn't make it six weeks, and the replacement pair died in four... And I have similar stories with OR, NF, Patagonia, etc.

I haven't found a perfect brand yet. I've had some Sitka stuff that was less than stellar (or totally failed), but generally I would say they are in the same class as most of the "major" brands in the win/loss ratio. It all comes from the same factories in China.

Yk

"It all comes from the same factories in China."

And there's the problem. I get tired of paying high prices for stuff made in China. Like hand tools - I'll pay more, like for DeWalt, that's made in Mexico rather than China if I have the choice.

I like the Kuiu, but it is tough to buy stuff sight unseen. I talked to them last year and recommended they come to the Spring Sportsman's Show in Anchorage. That way they could introduce us to their lines and check the feel and sizing. No luck. I saw from their site that they are going to shows in the Lower 48, but not here. Stupid. Who wouldn't want to come up here and quaff some microbrew in the off hours?

Kuiu is the same stuff at a lower price.

Quote Originally Posted by AKFrontier View Post
    Kuiu is the same stuff at a lower price.
    Huh? Not really...but whatever.

I have the lightweight packable rain jacket and really like it. Have the old style ascent pants and they're OK only. I'd never spend a bundle on something I couldn't try on in a store but Kuiu might be worth it if it's easy to send back, seems to be getting good reviews.

I'd listen close to the goat hunters who are replying (I'm not one). Sitka gear might work great for some people's activities but goat and sheep hunting are a whole different thing.

I will say the one advantage to arcteryx, mtn hardware, and the other high end stuff is that you can wear it skiing and not look like a total newb on the slopes .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast