Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ranger 6x6 tire ideas

Default Ranger 6x6 tire ideas

I recently picked up a new 2014 Ranger 6x6. I had a 2009 prior which i ran the 589s, and liked them. They preformed well, and other than being heavy, i really had no complaints. I am wondering if anyone else has a different tire that they have tried and recommend? im looking at swamp lite/ mud lite/ kenda executioner/ or 589s again. also have heard about the pitbull tires being radial, but know no one with real world experience with them. Thanks, Carl
    its better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

I'm running kenda executioner's and really like them. They are the 27" and make the machine a beast!

If you liked the 589's I'd get them again, IMO they are the best tire in the list you mentioned...

What type of terrain do you ride most? How big do you want to go?
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    If you liked the 589's I'd get them again, IMO they are the best tire in the list you mentioned...

What type of terrain do you ride most? How big do you want to go?

Mostly trails around Talkeetna, Eureeka, swamps around Big Lake, Denali highway, etc. rarely go south. Ive heard some run 28s, but with "actual" size versus "printed" size, and warranty being what it is, i will most likely stick with a 27" tire.
    As far as going back with the 589s, im not opposed to that idea, just curious what others thought. Northway.... are you running skinnier tires up front? Or same width all the way around?

Thanks guys
    its better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

I ran Swamp Witch tires on my Sportsman 6x6 and they were great. Very similar to the 589 but the tread actually wrapped around the sidewall a bit which helped when climbing out of ruts.

AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I work at Marita Sea and Ski, and we have installed 27" swamplites on the last couple of 6x6 Rangers we have sold. Going with a 28" tire would be cutting it extremely tight.

I don't think they make 589's anymore. I have 2 brand new 27's and have been looking for a while for another two for my Ranger. I've contacted many dealers here and down in America and have yet to find anyone who has them in stock. Anybody have a couple 27x11-12's they want to part with?

When we got our Arctic Prowler, I put ITP Blackwater Evolution tires on it. Yes they are a little on the heavy side but they are 8 ply tires. I wanted a 'stiff' side wall for the weigh of the machine. So far they have done good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by logman 49 View Post
    I don't think they make 589's anymore. I have 2 brand new 27's and have been looking for a while for another two for my Ranger. I've contacted many dealers here and down in America and have yet to find anyone who has them in stock. Anybody have a couple 27x11-12's they want to part with?
    Logman... I'm aware there are 2 types of 589. Both ITP and Titan manufactured them. Which 2 do you have, and I may be able to track you down 2 more. No promises but I know a couple tire guys

Quote Originally Posted by Carlak2fl View Post
    Logman... I'm aware there are 2 types of 589. Both ITP and Titan manufactured them. Which 2 do you have, and I may be able to track you down 2 more. No promises but I know a couple tire guys
    Hey thanks, mine are ITP's. I had an ad on Craig's List, wanting to buy, a guy called and left a message, said he had some but didn't leave a number.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlak2fl View Post
    Mostly trails around Talkeetna, Eureeka, swamps around Big Lake, Denali highway, etc. rarely go south. Ive heard some run 28s, but with "actual" size versus "printed" size, and warranty being what it is, i will most likely stick with a 27" tire.
    As far as going back with the 589s, im not opposed to that idea, just curious what others thought. Northway.... are you running skinnier tires up front? Or same width all the way around?

Thanks guys
    Yes, the ones on the front are skinnier. They were half the costs of ITP's and IMO are just as good. I've had a set on the front of my six wheeler since 05. I got a hell of a deal off amazon last summer, but I highly doubt you will find them on there now for that. All the dealers in AK will sell them but have to order them. My buddy and I both put them on the rangers.

I'm running 28"X11 ITP 589's all the way around on my 6x6, I personally don't recommend the 11's up front. 10's would be great. When I went looking for a replacement tire last year they were hard to come by, so it's possible that ITP stopped making them in favor of the newer mayhem tires they came out with.

I ran 10" front and 12" rear and it was a great combination for my machine. 11" would be a handful without power steering and will probably induce problems with breaking tie rods and such. There was a noticeable difference going from 8s to 10s...especially when you clip a stump or rock.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

If your comfy spending the $$$ Pitbull Rockers are an amazing do everything tire! I was a 589 fan before these but the Rockers out do the 589's everywhere even in the thick mud. You wouldnt be dissapointed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What about Duro tire like (models) Buffalo or Mud&sand? Not aggressive enough or?

I'm curious if the ranger 6x6's can handle 28's or even 30's without breaking shafts? I'm going to pick up a new ranger 6x in May and I will swap out the tires for something 6-ply. A member on PRC did Backwoods Armor a-arms all the way around and 30" mudlites and it looks great. I'm sure it's extremely capable, but durability has me concerned. I'm pretty mechanically inclined so adding braces, strengthening tie rods, ect. is not an issue. Any input?

Quote Originally Posted by SNWMBL View Post
    I'm curious if the ranger 6x6's can handle 28's or even 30's without breaking shafts? I'm going to pick up a new ranger 6x in May and I will swap out the tires for something 6-ply. A member on PRC did Backwoods Armor a-arms all the way around and 30" mudlites and it looks great. I'm sure it's extremely capable, but durability has me concerned. I'm pretty mechanically inclined so adding braces, strengthening tie rods, ect. is not an issue. Any input?
    That is 1S1K on here, he's running the 30's with front forwards and middle forward backwood armor a arms. He ran it all last year no problems. No lift, course you don't need one when running that big a tire I think he has 17" of clearance front and back. FYI the 2010 6x6 rangers had bigger CV's and since 2011 they went to a smaller middle and back CV which is weaker. I always carry a spare axle in my job box and because it's a polaris 6x6 you can run it with a broke CV, it's just a 5x5 then. honestly changing out an axle is a 30 minute job if you know what your'e doing.
    I personally wouldn't run 30's, I went everywhere he went last year on my 28's (real world 27's) and I had less worry about breaking anything. Dependability wise he's fine, hasn't broken anything YET...but it's gonna happen, then I'm going to take a bunch of photos and post them on here.

First of all, BAR300 can't run 30's cause his enclosed trailer only has a 64" opening. With his 28's he has to air them down and then have passenger side inside so it will barely squeak in. You need at leat 75" opening with 30's.

To SNWMBL, "Nothing to see here, move along."

Quote Originally Posted by BAR300 View Post
    That is 1S1K on here, he's running the 30's with front forwards and middle forward backwood armor a arms. He ran it all last year no problems. No lift, course you don't need one when running that big a tire I think he has 17" of clearance front and back. FYI the 2010 6x6 rangers had bigger CV's and since 2011 they went to a smaller middle and back CV which is weaker. I always carry a spare axle in my job box and because it's a polaris 6x6 you can run it with a broke CV, it's just a 5x5 then. honestly changing out an axle is a 30 minute job if you know what your'e doing.
    I personally wouldn't run 30's, I went everywhere he went last year on my 28's (real world 27's) and I had less worry about breaking anything. Dependability wise he's fine, hasn't broken anything YET...but it's gonna happen, then I'm going to take a bunch of photos and post them on here.
    Appreciate the input. Dealer said warranty is void with anything larger than a 27". Probably going to run 27x10 Swamp Lites up front with HD springs and 27x12 in rear.

Why not go 27x12 all the way around? I run that on all corners of my Ranger and have plenty of clearance up front. You'll have more floatation, plus if you have a spare (which you should) you'll never have to worry about having the right size. K.I.S.S.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast