Thread: Black rockfish in Seward

Default Black rockfish in Seward

Are there many places to fish black rockfish in the bay? We are thinking of heading over for a few days of silver fishing and would like to add some black rockfish to the catch. We wont be heading out farther than Pony Cove. Is there any good rockfishing in the bay?

The rockfish in the bay see quite a bit of fishing pressure in the summer but there are some nice ones outside Cheval Island, outside Pony Cove,Porcupine cove and on the back side of Rugged Island. Do yourself a favor and don't try fishing around the islands inside the bay. the rockfish are very small and scarce. Focus your effort on the outer edges of the bay and you have catch nicer ones.

Yes.

They get hit pretty hard though. I actually need to do more scouting. We don't get to seward very often, but we have a place by pony that we can limit quick if we can stay on the X, and this only when we can get out there.

The last charter i took out of Seward bout 12 years ago we were goin for silvers. They were everywhere at cape resurrection. Jumping all around the boat. Almost Everyone limited out on silvers, except me. I only caught one. Reason: the black Rockies were so thick, I couldn't get my lure away from them in time for a silver to hit it! It was ridiculous. However I did catch one that was just over 10lbs.

Release Lake Trout

I'd venture to say that the past 12 years of pressure from private boats and fishing charters has had an affect on the fisheries and I doubt you'd find the schools of rockfish to be has big as in years past. Not saying there aren't still some good spots, but when you fish a spot that will see ~50 boats day after day from mid July to late August it does have an effect.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

not if you ask the ADFG biologists. They are managed real good - ask em - they'll tell ya so.

pilot rock can be good!
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Honestly I don't fish for rockfish very much anymore and even less anywhere near the bay but from time to time, when I have to, I have had remarkably good luck in the outer bay and day harbor. The blacks move around, so they tend to repopulate. I saw swams of them at Cape Res. Two years ago,when it was thick with bait. Last year, not so many but I am sure they were just where the bait fish were. Good luck

there are multiple places inside of the bay where you can catch rockfish. thumb and humpy cove, out next to mays rock all the way to barwell island, theres a spot that I go to every time and limit out on rockfish fairly quickly. I have even had good luck with yellow eye in the same area. where we fish for rockfish I have yet to see another boat fishing for them. Usually people are trolling by and probably wondering why we are so close to shore. I would agree with akcapt that fishing for rockfish around the inside islands has little to no reward. There is a spot on fox island that I take people to catch small rockfish when the weather is bad and all they want to do is catch something. Heck I even have better luck catching lings inside of the bay than I do outside of it.