Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Birchwood Range, Changes

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Birchwood Range, Changes

The weather was Sunny today, and the weather was warmer, so I goed to Birchwood.

BUT, they enclosed the benches with WALLS. Some of'em.

I'm not sure I'm gonna like it. I am sure I DIDN'T like it today.

That Sunny weather didn't get through, and it was colder than would have been otherwise.

Nother thing, there was only ONE door, kinda in the middle, and that was the only authorized way to enter, making it harder to come and go, especially on the ICE.

They probably have some reasons for doin it, but I think it's a waste of money. At this point, I wish they'd have left things alone. It was fine the way it was.

Oh Well, My membership expires soon, I don't have to renew it.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

There is supposed to be gas heaters in them when finished so you can use them in the winter without freezing and to keep it warm enough so your AR will keep working.

I'm sure that wasn't built from surplus. Membership fees soon to rise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    There is supposed to be gas heaters in them when finished so you can use them in the winter without freezing and to keep it warm enough so your AR will keep working.
    For that, they'd need to enclose the front too, and let the shooting be done through portholes.

Don't those ARs heat themselves up?

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

The range I used a couple weeks ago had heaters, the open front kind of made the useless but I stood under one and stayed warm when the wife was shooting.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt-Hunter View Post

Their prices are already "too high," and I don't pay it. Well, not very often.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoyt-Hunter View Post

At least they made the improvements first, down here the price went up and the only improvement is a clubhouse no one gets a key to except the special folks...

LOL ***** about Brichwood all you want guys I will gladly take it any day. I emailed all the ranges down here in good ol Colorado Springs in the greater El paso county Population 620,000. This is what I got we are no longer accepting member, thanks for your inquiry we are no longer accepting memebers. Oh and when they do accept you $175 bucks and all of them require you to be a NRA members oohhh man force some of you to become members wth LOL and some of them have no cover, so in the summer you can work on your farmers tan. So keep on *****ing about birchwood.

I did find a range after everyone I talked to said don't go there it's the MWR range just opened last yr and its a nice one open to everyone it's outside the contonement area of Carson so no need to register weapons. Only problem they have a caliber restrictions no RUM or Lapua. Which does not affect me. Only reason some folks don't go their is because they can't act like idiots and shoot the joint up they have RSO (range safety officers) on all the ranges.

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    LOL ***** about Brichwood all you want guys I will gladly take it any day. I emailed all the ranges down here in good ol Colorado Springs in the greater El paso county Population 620,000. This is what I got we are no longer accepting member, thanks for your inquiry we are no longer accepting memebers. Oh and when they do accept you $175 bucks and all of them require you to be a NRA members oohhh man force some of you to become members wth LOL and some of them have no cover, so in the summer you can work on your farmers tan. So keep on *****ing about birchwood.
    Ok, but you at least have the new public range on the south side of Ft. Carson down by Fountain. It's only $10 a person all day long. Nothing like that up here that I can find anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    Ok, but you at least have the new public range on the south side of Ft. Carson down by Fountain. It's only $10 a person all day long. Nothing like that up here that I can find anyway.
    Uh $8 bucks for me. It's by gate 20 they have some serious plans for that place.

Uh $8 bucks for me. It's by gate 20 they have some serious plans for that place.
    Well, ok, even better... lol. They do. I've been there a couple times and it's a really nice range. Well done. I kind of wish something was up here like that. For Birchwood, since I'm not a member it costs me $20 to shoot. Course, up here I'm only 45 mins from shooting in the forest with no worries. Took me 1.5 hours in CO to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    Well, ok, even better... lol. They do. I've been there a couple times and it's a really nice range. Well done. I kind of wish something was up here like that. For Birchwood, since I'm not a member it costs me $20 to shoot. Course, up here I'm only 45 mins from shooting in the forest with no worries. Took me 1.5 hours in CO to do the same.
    Good luck with shooting in the "forest" in AK. I lived up their 5 1/2 yrs left this past December and they have couple impromptu ranges they usually get shut down do to garbage. I know folks go up to sutton and shoot others head to Maude lake road some still head up to zero lake. But in the end all end up at birch wood. Rabbit creek shooting range in south anchorage used to be fairly cheap. Yes you would think all that land you could drive a road and set up an impromptu range but eventually more vehicles will be coming down that little isolated road where you have your range. Next thing you know you have new friends and a big garbage pit

Good luck with shooting in the "forest" in AK. I lived up their 5 1/2 yrs left this past December and they have couple impromptu ranges they usually get shut down do to garbage. I know folks go up to sutton and shoot others head to Maude lake road some still head up to zero lake. But in the end all end up at birch wood. Rabbit creek shooting range in south anchorage used to be fairly cheap. Yes you would think all that land you could drive a road and set up an impromptu range but eventually more vehicles will be coming down that little isolated road where you have your range. Next thing you know you have new friends and a big garbage pit
    Absolutely True, and Sad to Say.

I am now thinking of a Marketing Opportunity.

A combination Trailer / shooting bench, with storage and gun racks, and target frames, that can be towed behind a 4 wheeler.

It's a long way to the Trails, though, and I don't have a wheeler. Might as well just go up to USSA.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Rabbit Creek is still cheap at 9 bucks per day. I hate that place. They have no concept of range control or firearms safety or anything. Their range "safety" officer sits in a club house and can't even see what's going on. They leave it to the shooters to work out cease fires and to act appropriately. So last time I was there, I had two guys with Glocks doing rapid fire all day long, but they must have had 100 magazines because they were constantly shooting, which means no chance for me to move the target out farther or bring it in closer. Then, when they do stop shooting, and we go down range, one of them is handling his gun at the bench while the rest of are down range. Greaaaaaat. I much prefer a sense of order and organization on a range rather than the free for all format. And don't even get me started about not being allowed to shoot lead on the trap range.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    Rabbit Creek is still cheap at 9 bucks per day. I hate that place. They have no concept of range control or firearms safety or anything. Their range "safety" officer sits in a club house and can't even see what's going on. They leave it to the shooters to work out cease fires and to act appropriately. So last time I was there, I had two guys with Glocks doing rapid fire all day long, but they must have had 100 magazines because they were constantly shooting, which means no chance for me to move the target out farther or bring it in closer. Then, when they do stop shooting, and we go down range, one of them is handling his gun at the bench while the rest of are down range. Greaaaaaat. I much prefer a sense of order and organization on a range rather than the free for all format. And don't even get me started about not being allowed to shoot lead on the trap range.
    I really prefer a range where things are not closely supervised, and the shooters themselves, correct the ones who are not following the Posted Rules.

You really should have said something to those guys. Or called it to the attention of the RO.

The kind of supervision you get down there at RC, is worse, IMO, than when they leave you alone.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I really prefer a range where things are not closely supervised, and the shooters themselves, correct the ones who are not following the Posted Rules.

You really should have said something to those guys. Or called it to the attention of the RO.

The kind of supervision you get down there at RC, is worse, IMO, than when they leave you alone.

Smitty of the North
    +++

babysitters are for babies.

Fl2ak: tell them to cease. They will. Shooters at birchwood always want to be polite, other than using things that BANG louder than they should.

Edit: you don't even need to say anything to them. Just look over and wave your hands.

Please don't increase range oversight.

Quote Originally Posted by mike h View Post
    +++

babysitters are for babies.

Fl2ak: tell them to cease. They will. Shooters at birchwood always want to be polite, other than using things that BANG louder than they should.

Edit: you don't even need to say anything to them. Just look over and wave your hands.

Please don't increase range oversight.
    What difference does it make to you who is telling you what to do? If I tell someone on the range they are handling their gun unsafely, I'm going to get a big, fat FU. Would you rather have someone like me ask you to stop your shooting every ten minutes, or a range officer, either paid or volunteer, do it? In either case, someone else is telling you what to do.I prefer to have range oversight so that, hopefully, someone is focused on watching for unsafe behavior so I can focus on my own behavior, and my shooting.

Absolutely True, and Sad to Say.

I am now thinking of a Marketing Opportunity.

A combination Trailer / shooting bench, with storage and gun racks, and target frames, that can be towed behind a 4 wheeler.

It's a long way to the Trails, though, and I don't have a wheeler. Might as well just go up to USSA.

Smitty of the North
    You need this:

http://www.hitch-n-shoot.com/

or this:

http://www.outdoorhub.com/reviews/sh...hooting-bench/

or maybe one of these...

http://www.richardscustomrifles.com/shootingtable.htm

Smitty of the North
    When I was first looking, I went to Rabbit Creek and Birchwood. OF the 2, I would pay the membership at Birchwood. I felt much less confined and much less stifled. Still safe, still polite and courteous. Just didn't feel like I had the wrath of RSO breathing down my neck to shoot. When I went to Rabbit Creek, there was an RSO in the shooting area calling the cease fires and checking everything. Sometimes I WANT to rapid fire my gun because I want to test function or something. I don't like someone telling me I can't shoot more than once a second. I'm actually planning to join Birchwood this weekend. We're in Eagle River at least until the fall so I figure I'll get my money out of the membership.

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    What difference does it make to you who is telling you what to do? If I tell someone on the range they are handling their gun unsafely, I'm going to get a big, fat FU. Would you rather have someone like me ask you to stop your shooting every ten minutes, or a range officer, either paid or volunteer, do it? In either case, someone else is telling you what to do.I prefer to have range oversight so that, hopefully, someone is focused on watching for unsafe behavior so I can focus on my own behavior, and my shooting.
    That hasn't been my experience at all at Birchwood. When I'm there on a range with someone else, I have never received anything other than a polite, respectful response when I need to stop to go downrange. Of the two ranges, the only one I've ever received a poor attitude at is Rabbit Creek. Moreover, the beautiful thing about being a member at Birchwood is that you can go before/after hours, so it's pretty common to have a range to yourself and not have to worry about dealing with other shooters.

To any members, what's the procedure for joining? I've been trying to find out on the website, but it only lists the prices. No forms to download or anything. Do you have to go to the range at a certain time? Any info would help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast