Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Searching for a new tent..

Default Searching for a new tent..

I'm looking for a new 2 man, I have a NF Starlight that has been great, it's a little small, heavy and old (20 years), but it's bullet proof. I am looking for something that is strong, room for a 2, less than 5 lbs, 3 plus season and a vestibule large enough for a couple packs or to cook in in a pinch. Yes, I have scoured the entire internetz...

Hilleberg Anjan 2 GT. Brooks range foray tent is another good one but the vestibule might be a little small for you

The Anjan 2 GT is on my short list for sure. I have heard about condensation issues with the Foray, have you used one?

Ya that Hilleberg Anjan looks like it might be a good one. I've been eyeing up the Anjan 3 as a 2 man sheep hunting tent if a guy is ok with a tunnel. I'm still stuck on my 4 season free standing Tarra but a 4lb Anjan gets a guys attention!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

The Foray is out due to too much mesh. I have a knack for finding off season snow storms and the mesh isn't worth it. I've not used a tunnel tent, but the seem plenty strong in the wind? How about snow load?

I was gonna say the foray has a lot of mesh and shouldn't have any breathability issues. I have a nallo 3 for all my sheep hunts and love it. Ive been in some crazy storms past couple years! terrible luck. But the tent has been great. Handled winds up to 60mph no problem and have had in in 10-12 inches of snow no problem. I see no reason to get a freestanding tent unless you'll be on a glacier. If your in shale i just tether off to rocks and it performs the same.

Also look at the MSR Hubba hubba Nx and Kuiu Mountain star two person. Both are the same style, dual entrances and vestibules.

Personally I'm a hilleberg guy, after i used one i doubt ill ever buy another brand.

The Hubba Hubba NX looks pretty sweet, I'm unsure about the design. I have a Mutha Hubba and It's ok.. I was in a wind storm last fall and it collapsed on us a few times, but didn't break. In general I'm not a fan of tent hubs and that T bar on top doesn't look very strong at all. I wonder if the gear shed/vestibule would work with the NX?

Quote Originally Posted by tyrex13 View Post
    The Hubba Hubba NX looks pretty sweet, I'm unsure about the design. I have a Mutha Hubba and It's ok.. I was in a wind storm last fall and it collapsed on us a few times, but didn't break. In general I'm not a fan of tent hubs and that T bar on top doesn't look very strong at all. I wonder if the gear shed/vestibule would work with the NX?
    Ive heard the Kuiu tent is like a stronger version of the hubba hubba basically. Except The kuiu has exterior pole setup like the hilleberg which is great for setting up in bad weather and doesn't cause abrasion on the tent fly. If you like that design better than the anjan, could be a winner. I believe the anjan would be considerably stronger than the msr.

Do you sheep guys ever run into a situation where you can't stake the tent down? Or at least can't stake it enough down for something like the Anjan without a lengthwise bar?

Looking at lighter, more packable tents for Kesugi this summer. Wife will have baby carrier pack and not much cargo space.

I looked at the Kuiu a bit, I will look closer. I think the Anjan is the right tent for me, but it's a good investment, so I want to be sure. If I'm high enough that I can't stake down the tent then I probably only brought a bivy with me anyway.

Yeah but how many times do you figure you couldn't stake down?

Quote Originally Posted by mike h View Post
    Yeah but how many times do you figure you couldn't stake down?
    In my nallo, which is a tunnel tent like the anjan, I've stayed on glaciers and shale where you couldn't use stakes and i used rocks to tether the tent and guy lines. It made no difference to how the tent handled the extreme winds.

I know of two people who's nallo turned into a bivi during nasty wind storms. They are solid tents but Alaska can and has shredded them. I still love mine but it still requires smart site selection.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I know of two people who's nallo turned into a bivi during nasty wind storms. They are solid tents but Alaska can and has shredded them. I still love mine but it still requires smart site selection.
    Yep it can definitely happen, maybe I've been fortunate. A 3man 4season tent that weighs 5lbs 12 oz won't be as strong as a dome tent but sounds like me and lujon both will take the weight savings

I was torn between Hille and Exped and chose the Exped Orion 3 for my needs. It is the best I have owned with quality throughout. They make a version to fit your needs. Most all reviews came down to Hille vs Exped and I don't think you would be disappointed in either...simply pick the best model for your usage and don't look back. BTW, youtube has set ups of most models and comparos of quite a few models that may be helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 450 ktm View Post
    I was torn between Hille and Exped and chose the Exped Orion 3 for my needs. It is the best I have owned with quality throughout. They make a version to fit your needs. Most all reviews came down to Hille vs Exped and I don't think you would be disappointed in either...simply pick the best model for your usage and don't look back. BTW, youtube has set ups of most models and comparos of quite a few models that may be helpful.
    Ya that Exped looks sweet! I almost bought one a few years ago but was able to get a Hilleberg on a ProDeal which saved a chunk of change. The thing about that Exped is it's a true free standing. My Tarra requires vestibules to be staked and looks like 1lb heavier. I bet that things is quiet in the wind, as in no flappage huh?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Has anyone used their Nallo 3 (or 2) without the interior part?

Man - that andromeda II has some really nice features that hille left off - though it does look like one copied the other......

What about the Shangri-La 3? Does anybody have any experience with one? I was thinking about one for sheep hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by 450HUNTER View Post
    What about the Shangri-La 3? Does anybody have any experience with one? I was thinking about one for sheep hunting.
    They work and are light weight. Just seam seal em and go. The SL5 is substantially roomier for not much more weight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast