Thread: quality of outdated seasoning packets

Default quality of outdated seasoning packets

Anybody have ideas on whether sausage seasoning packets (just purchased Feb '14) that have a best used by date of 2011 will be alot different tasting than those that are "fresh' say dated best used by 2015???

Girlfriend found a comercial mix she really likes-and I bought a bunch, some are lots older than the rest...

still making burger and sausage from last falls hunts- it's work, but you know you (and you're other hunters) done good when still grinding in march

guess best answer would be to make up seperate batches... but that seems like work...

I don't know about places that sell outdated seasonings...

Chris

(yes, PM sent)

As long as they are dry seasonings and have been kept in dry storage, preferably air tight, they should be pretty much the same. Do you throw away your pepper in the cabinet when it goes past the use by date? I don't and I can't tell the difference between pepper that I bought yesterday and pepper that I had for several years; as a matter of fact, I have a can of dried chilies that I bought in germany in 1988 that I still use when I make chili and they are still just as hot as the day I bought them.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

It's not so much that seasonings go bad, rather that the loose some of their flavor as some of the oils evaporate off over time. If you've ever bought fresh herbs and spices and freshly ground them you'll know how much better and fuller the flavor is vs. old spices.

To me pre-ground spices loose significant flavor vs. freshly ground, but once something has been on the shelf for a few months to a year, another year or three on the shelf doesn't seem to make nearly as much of a difference.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Pass on it.My wife makes unreal summer sausage with game meat (she has quite a local reputation for the quality); and she recently made some with seasoning comparatively outdated.It was completely tasteless and awful.To go through the trouble of making fine seasoned meats, Jerky and cased goodies and skimp seems like a waste of time. It was for us. We learned the hard way.
    Proud to be an American!

can't pass and the company won't take back the outdated seasoning...

got meat ready to try...

if old stuff no good, than I'll throw the rest away and take a loss....

Chris

really looked at the packages.. seems the company (Excaliber) has changed their recipe also, but only have 8 of the out-dated packs.

will make up two separate batches this next couple days..

will post my finding by end of week

Chris

made two batches- one from the "fresh" one from the "out dated"

Looks like I will be throwing away the all old seasoning...

doesn't taste up to standards,

at $7.50 a bag and shipping this really ticks me off the company not calling back or nothing.. [out $60.00 ++ dollars]

guess lucky they didn't send all outdated stuff...

will have to re consider whether to use this company in Anchorage again.

if anyone wants their name- PM me.

Chris