Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear Skull Idea if Legal

Default Bear Skull Idea if Legal

Wanted to start a new one so people don't have to scroll through four pages. We have played around with fish carcusses and small game Carcusses, with some ok results. I want to know what would happen to a bear skull after sealed of course to keep it legal, if you were to put it in a shrimp pot. I have always wondered this, and have seen those little sea lice just tare things up in a matter of a couple hours. Just wanted to know if anybody has tried with a bear/dear/moose/wolf skull. Sounds cheap, easy, and hell if you are dropping shrimp pots who knows? it might be the next big shrimp sensation when you pull 10 gallons of tails a pot when this trick is used. Just wanting to know.

Joe

This has been discussed several times and yes it works and works well. You might put the skull in a mesh bag just in case some teeth loosen up.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Works awesome, and legal (asked F&G, as long as she is sealed). Just make sure you put it in a small mesh bag, so you don't lose the teeth, and a location that you haven't had issues with crabs, since they will tear the bag open. Shrimp seem to enjoy it too!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Another thing to think about is pot thieves. It's bad enough that these jack***** have no problem pulling others pots and stealing shrimp, it would be a shame to lose your bear skull as well. Not saying you shouldn't try the sea lice method, but I'd consider sitting near the pots during the process.

I have never done the shrimp pot thing way too much risk if losing, and mediocre results, IMO. Look up maceration and try that. Way more effective, consistent results and degreases a good majority along during the process.

Do a search or here or on the web if curious. Can PM me if you want, live in the valley.

Here is a pair Kodiak bears macerated.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393903816.241522.jpg

Saltwater maceration works great. Drop it into a sea lice infested area, and it will be clean within a week or two! Normal maceration works alright, but not as good and a lot more stinky/messy IMHO. I macerated some small mammal skulls last summer and they took forever to clean up. Maybe it's just the way I went about it. I would prefer beetles or careful boiling before I macerated again.

I've done the sea lice method a half dozen times. Like everyone has said, it works great but you can lose teeth easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put a marmot skull under a tomato plant in the garden last year, on top of some cheese cloth. Read about it somewhere, can't recall where. It worked great, didn't get all the brain matter out but it was only in there about half the summer. The bugs and plants did wonders. Cleaned up very nicely with some peroxide and simmering for about 20 minutes. I didn't loose any teeth, although they did fall out.

I'll be putting a coyote skull in the dirt earlier in the growing season this year!

I did the same thing as the shrimp pot idea, just fresh water with a javelina skull - as recommended by the local taxidermist. I put it in a crawfish trap and tossed it in a pond. Worked well. Wished I'd known some of the other tips written elsewhere. Yup - boiling = bad. Worked ok, but warped some bits.

Why not just boil 45 minutes, scrape 10 minutes, then boil 45 more minutes, then scrape for 15 minutes, then put in peroxide and be done with it?

Because boiling is about the worst thing you can do to a skull. Yea we used that method back in the eighties but there are a lot better methods out there. Boiling will damage skulls, teeth will fall out and worst of all, you'll loose all of the delicate nasal cavity cartilage. If the point is to preserve the skull, then preserve it, don't damage it beyond repair. I currently have three beetle colonies going. Takes two days to completely clean a bear skull. Then a week or so to degrease, then three days to whiten.

Takes two days to completely clean a bear skull. Then a week or so to degrease, then three days to whiten.
    12 days start to finish on a bear sounds good until you look at it a little while later and see all the grease leaching out if it, the jaw and back of skull will turn that pale dingy yellow. Easiest way to see quality of a bone guy is look at a bear that is over a year old That will tell you more than anything!

A properly degreased bear will take at least several months to get clean and free of ALL grease. No getting around that.

Here is the Biggest and nicest one I have ever had the opportunity to do. 28 13/16 if I remember correctly. This one took almost 6 months to finish.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393943434.875698.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    I put a marmot skull under a tomato plant in the garden last year, on top of some cheese cloth. Read about it somewhere, can't recall where. It worked great, didn't get all the brain matter out but it was only in there about half the summer. The bugs and plants did wonders. Cleaned up very nicely with some peroxide and simmering for about 20 minutes. I didn't loose any teeth, although they did fall out.

I'll be putting a coyote skull in the dirt earlier in the growing season this year!
    Put another coyote skull in a bucket if water at the same time. Don't let it evaporate out. Leave it a month or two and pour out the water.

The skull in the bucket will be much nicer looking. Dry put in some brown bottle peroxide for a week and then dry again and glue teeth in and lower jaw back together and compare.

You will be amazed of just water can do!

I have done the shrimp pot thing, it works to an extent. They remove the brain and all the soft tissue but they never get all the tough connective stuff. The cheapest and easiest way is to just drop it in a bucket and leave it. This Grizzly skull was killed in the fall and I dropped it in a bucket and left it all winter in my garage. Did not stink until you open the lid. When removed just rinse with hot water and drop in a bucket with acetone for a month or so, remove from that and drop in a bucket with dawn dish soap and water. Works better if you keep the water warm using an aquarium heater.

You can boil them, bury them etc. But they will not come out as good as they will by using maceration. It has been said over and over, to really do one right so it will stay white and not get greasy it takes time to get all that fat out. Boiling destroys the fine nasal bones and will cause the teeth to split

If you drop them in a shrimp pot, I like to use a mesh bag to make sure to not loose any parts.

You can see they leave the chewy stuff

Did get a lot of shrimp

You can see the fine nasal bones are intact, this skull soaked all winter in my garage. I pulled the teeth and used peroxide to whiten the bone and glued the teeth back in. Used a plastic to coat it with, will never turn yellow.

Quality takes time....
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Has anyone noted a difference in whether you keep the head meat fresh? I hear that beatles won't eat rotten meat. My brother had his griz beatle cleaned and he did not degrease it - said there isn't any grease on it. The meat was fresh.

I put mine in a shrimp pot - straight from the freezer - so the meat was fresh...mine is very greasy. His bear was older....by a lot 21yrs vs. 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Has anyone noted a difference in whether you keep the head meat fresh? I hear that beatles won't eat rotten meat. My brother had his griz beatle cleaned and he did not degrease it - said there isn't any grease on it. The meat was fresh.

I put mine in a shrimp pot - straight from the freezer - so the meat was fresh...mine is very greasy. His bear was older....by a lot 21yrs vs. 6.

The beatles prefer fresh meat over rotten but a bear is greasy regardless. Not sure how your brother managed to find a bear much less a grizzly that was not greasy

One thing I noticed about maceration is never ever get any soap or detergent of any type on the skull or in the water this will retard the bacteria growth. I also add a can or bottle of beer to each bucket and think it speeds up the process but never did an experiment to see if that is so. I imagine yeast would do a better job but I never seem to have any at the house when I want to start a skull.

The grease and fat that stains the skull is mostly from the bone marrow. This is why is takes so long to degrease as the fat needs to be drawn out through the bone. I have hastened the process by drilling small holes into the problem areas from the underside. Often you will think they are good but the fat will leach out after a while, I leave mine out in the sun for a day or two as this seams to bring it out quicker if they still have fat in them.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

He used a 225 gr TTSX to put a little hole in her head. The skull was in 57 pieces. He had a buddy put it in beattles. Then he glued it back together. It is whiter than mine is and I have some labor into mine so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    He used a 225 gr TTSX to put a little hole in her head. The skull was in 57 pieces. He had a buddy put it in beattles. Then he glued it back together. It is whiter than mine is and I have some labor into mine so far.
    Sounds like one heck if a puzzle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast