Thread: Polaris 600 Swithcback overheating problems

Default Polaris 600 Swithcback overheating problems

I could use some advice and input. I have a 2004 Polaris Switchback that overheats if it is not running in several inches of loose snow or powder. It has done this on and off since I bought it new. This weekend I went out to my cabin and it kept over heating on me. I have read that this is an issue on some Polaris'. Anyone else run a Switchback and have this issue? Any idea why it keeps getting hot? And any ideas on how to fix the problem?

Thanks,

Install scratchers if you don't have them all ready. If you have them and are still overheating, you might try draining, flushing, and refilling the cooling system. Make sure to get all the air out. That solved the problem on my 01 RMK.

A friend of mine had overheating problems with a 06 summit until he realized that it had been filled with 100% glycol. Replaced it with 50/50 mix and fine since.

Can't use Scratchers with reverse can I? Or will they flip up out of the way? Not 100% scratchers would fix the problem completely. Going in to the cabin on Saturday was doing between 20 and 30 mph. It overheated about 2 miles into the trip, then kept over heating every couple miles after that. If I could get up to 40 mph it didn't get as hot. But as soon as I slowed down it would start getting hot again. On the way out Sunday I filled the engine compartment with snow and packed the running boards with snow. Tried to keep speed up but some areas you just can't go that fast. Stopped a couple times to refill the engine and running boards with snow. Overheat light came on as soon as I got to the landing. And coming back I ran off trail as much as I could also. Might try the draining and flushing thing. Might try scratchers, can't cost that much.

I am considering trying these. http://betweenthelinesdesigns.com/?page_id=509

The factory spring type work pretty good but you have to lift them to reverse. I had track and skid scratchers on my old cat and they did awesome when used together. They put up an impressive ice fog running 20-30 mph and kept my temps nice and low. There is also a stiff braided cable type skid mount scratcher that is reverse compatible. Hatcher Pass Polaris had them on the wall last time I was in there. The non trail pro chassis sleds run quite hot without lots of loose snow. They simply aren't designed to run packed trails without modifications to get fresh snow on the inter cooler. The trail guys hate the throttle blipping that mountain riders do but it is just one trick we use to get more snow on the inter cooler when we can't dip off the side into some fluffy stuff.

In the conditions we currently have, scratchers will make all the difference. There are two types, the stiff spring steel ones, and the cable scratchers. The spring steel work a bit better but will usually break when you back up or load the sled on a trailer with the scratchers still down. The cable kind are forgiving of both lapses in memory. They cost more than they should, $60-$70 a pair, so breaking them off gets painful on the wallet quick. I'm now switched over to the cable kind on all our sleds.

Get on Ebay and search ice scratchers and check out Redneck Scratchers. Cable scratchers with replaceable carbide tips, $60 plus shipping. Different colors too.

Scratchers work well in the Edge chassis, and the faster the better. If you get the stiff spring type then no, you can't back up for too long without breaking them. The cable sliders can be backed up on but they don't cool as well.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

LuJon, HP Polaris had one set of scratchers left so I bought them. I bought the cable style, because i know i would forget them and back up. And because I did buy the scrapers we got snow. You can all thank me later. lol. Talked with one of the mechanics and he didn't think I had a problem other than needing scratchers either. He said lot of guys running 2 sets.

i have friends with the cable type Scratchers and they work well!!! forward and reverse have not seen them mess them up yet i don't even think they have had to replace any tips unless they came unscrewed.

Quote Originally Posted by thehappyalaskan View Post
    i have friends with the cable type Scratchers and they work well!!! forward and reverse have not seen them mess them up yet i don't even think they have had to replace any tips unless they came unscrewed.
    Thanks for the info Larry. Though with this new snow I won't need them right now. I really need to get a new freight sled. Polaris IQ Widetrack or Ski Doo Expedition LE.

Well, I took care of the problem. Went and bought a new machine. Well ended up with 2 new machines. Wife bought a 2014 570 Bearcat XT and I bought a 2014 Ski-Doo Expedetion w/600 E-TEC H.O.

Quote Originally Posted by AkGrumpy View Post
    Well, I took care of the problem. Went and bought a new machine. Well ended up with 2 new machines. Wife bought a 2014 570 Bearcat XT and I bought a 2014 Ski-Doo Expedetion w/600 E-TEC H.O.
    Snow getting packed into the front radiator blocking airflow. Use radiator delete kit.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Snow getting packed into the front radiator blocking airflow. Use radiator delete kit.
    The overheating was with a Polaris Switchback. They don't have radiators. It was overheating because there was no snow.

Quote Originally Posted by AkGrumpy View Post
    The overheating was with a Polaris Switchback. They don't have radiators. It was overheating because there was no snow.
    My 06 had a radiator in front. I deleted it, but it still wants to run too warm unless there is a couple inches of loose snow. I installed scratchers and it helped a bunch. My 08 and 10 models only seem to run hot under the worst conditions. Packed trail and riding slow or towing.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.