Thread: Iditarod Restart - Heads Up for next year

Default Iditarod Restart - Heads Up for next year

I noticed that there were several Iditarod security folks writing down tail numbers of low flying aircraft over the lake, presumably to report. I know at least one of the helicopters was tagged and photographed. I have mixed feelings about it, but I think this helo had it coming... Stay safe and be reasonable out there!

On another note: I had a great time flying up to the restart in Willow for the first time this year! I have always previously been land bound.

I was my understanding the FAA was to be more watchful this year than past years. I think that is prudent as long as they limit their watch to flagrant violations that affect public safety.
    Last edited by Icebear; 03-03-2014 at 23:46.

The airways were full of traffic.. Sounded like a zoo on the radio. I stayed South by Goose Lake working on maneuvers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Compared to other years I didn't think it was to bad. Crowded but not out of control. There is a place were common sense and legal flight ops are pushing a thinner line and Willow re-start is one. Be smart and nice. Don't fly low. No reason to make the feds attempt to put a TFR up.

Unfortunately certain events tend to bring out the once-a-year pilots.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

In any population there are some willing to perform stupid people tricks. More planes, more tricks. Simple math. I stay on a snow go that weekend. Heck, troopers are patrolling those now, too. It's getting like Arctic Man without a drunk bus. :-)