Thread: "How-To" Section on Canoe Hunting!

Default "How-To" Section on Canoe Hunting!

Hi folks,

In another thread someone asked me about including a section on canoe hunting in my book, "Float Hunting Alaska's Wild Rivers". While I do have a couple of pages on inflatable canoes and rigging, it's far short of what the topic deserves. And although I know some information that would relate to canoe hunting, that's not my specialty. Besides, the book is already long enough and there's no way we can shoehorn another section in there.

Sooo... I am calling on the canoe hunters out there who may be interested in collaborating on a special section on canoe hunting here on the site. We would need good supporting photos, plus sections on boat types, materials, rigging (I can do a lot of that work), specialized canoe tactics for moose, caribou, bear and possibly Dall sheep. I know a lot of guys are using canoes to float meat out of the mountains on smaller river systems, and this information could be really valuable for other folks. Not looking for specific river information, but just techniques and tactics that relate to safety and actual hunting. We could include inflatable canoes, hard-shell boats and possibly motorized canoes.

And no, this information will not be sold or anything. We will park ads in the section, and we may put it in a members-only area or something. Not sure yet.

If anyone is interested, shoot me an email.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

GREAT IDEA!

I'm not a canoe hunter (yet) but this is the route I am leaning...but I'm inexperienced and would love a wealth of information like this to help me.

For the road-based, hardshell folks I was also thinking we should include details on road-based hunts; hauling / towing systems, vehicle shuttling, launching, parking, what to do about potential vehicle vandalism / theft, etc.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

That's great news. I hope I can contribute on some small but meaningful way.

alot of this stuff, already exists in the canoe forum. I've devoted a few thousand words on there, over the course of a few thousand lbs of salmon, caribou, and moose meat put away with freighter canoes.

Start with learning how to paddle. Bill Mason along with his son Paul, (who is the torchbearer now that Bill has passed). Wrote a series called "Path of the Paddle". Start there and learn how to control a canoe in river current. There are newer books out, but you should read what Bill has to say first.
    Of course you have to apply what you learn in order for it to stick. With our short paddling season in Alaska, it will take a few years to get competent.
    When the engine quits on that freighter or you want to hunt down river in the silent mode. You best be able to pickup a long paddle and get with it...

I agree with Piper. Knowing a J-stroke, high brace, low brace, skulling and how to paddle without taking the paddle out of the water are quint essential knowledge to canoeing.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012