Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question about Ruger 375, HELP

Default question about Ruger 375, HELP

Grand son and I took his newly bought Ruger 375 to the range for 1st sight in today. we cannot load 4 rounds. Only way we found is load 3 in mag and bolt one in the chamber leaving 2 in mag. I realize this is Mauser action but is there a way to have 4 total ? Thanks.

PS= he's headed for spring Kodiak permit hunt next month.

Pretty sure those were only 3 for capacity in the mag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Yeah, just searched through rugers website. They list 3 as the magazine capacity for all their rifles in 375 ruger (the hawkeye African and guide gun)

Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Thanks, high, looks like "make the first three count "

I own a 375 Ruger, it can hold four rounds. It has to be loaded like a Reminton 700 and a few others, load three rounds into the mag and slide the fourth into the tube, then press the three rounds down with your thumb as you close the bolt.

I would keep three in the mag and drop a fourth in the chamber on final stalk. In a SHTF situation just rack the bolt and go, you probably won't get four shots off anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by AKFrontier View Post
    I own a 375 Ruger, it can hold four rounds. It has to be loaded like a Reminton 700 and a few others, load three rounds into the mag and slide the fourth into the tube, then press the three rounds down with your thumb as you close the bolt.
    This is what I tried.Bolt will NOT close if one is in the chamber. It must be fed from the magazine. Do we have a problem gun ?

Mauser type CRF rifles are designed to pick up the shell from the magazine; some will allow you to close the bolt on a manually chambered round, some will not. It's not a flaw exactly...a gunsmith could probably stone the leading edge of the extractor lip and make it work. My M70 will do it, but it takes a firm press of the bolt.

Forgive my ignorance, but you can't open the Ruger magazine from the bottom, like many other bolt rifles?

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but you can't open the Ruger magazine from the bottom, like many other bolt rifles?
    On mine you can
    "The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers."
    Thomas Jefferson

With bolt fully open place the fourth round inline and on top of the three rounds in the magazine. Using even pressure on the fourth round, depressing those rounds in the magazine advance your bolt. I've used this technique on my 416 Ruger.

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    With bolt fully open place the fourth round inline and on top of the three rounds in the magazine. Using even pressure on the fourth round, depressing those rounds in the magazine advance your bolt. I've used this technique on my 416 Ruger.
    Bighorse, thanks worth a try.

My grandson just informed me of the model he has. It's a Hawkeye Alaskan,catalog #HKM77RSPHHM model 07179. This has a Hogue stock. Ruger website no longer list this model. I sent Ruger an e-mail looking forward to their reply.

i have the same gun, and it'll hold 4 with the mentioned loading techniques. the resistance you feel on the forth is the extractor trying to latch onto the rim of the shell. when you load from the magazine the shell slides up under the edge of the extractor. when you single load you have to give it a good push so the extractor can snap over the rim. my vz24 czech mauser does the same thing, all you gotta do is work the bolt like you're going to die if you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by winibezold View Post
    i have the same gun, and it'll hold 4 with the mentioned loading techniques. the resistance you feel on the forth is the extractor trying to latch onto the rim of the shell. when you load from the magazine the shell slides up under the edge of the extractor. when you single load you have to give it a good push so the extractor can snap over the rim. my vz24 czech mauser does the same thing, all you gotta do is work the bolt like you're going to die if you don't.
    Have you noticed any scarring on the case when you fire or simply load then extract ?

nope, since its just grabbing the rim, there is no damage to the case, or even the rim for that matter. the force on the bolt is just whats required to overcome the spring tension on the extractor. i would recommend this.... load a round into the mag, then very slowly work the bolt while paying close attention to the extractor lip and case. you'll see how the case slides up and the rim gets captured by the extractor. that's why they are called controlled round feed. once the ext. gets ahold oc the rim, you can send the rifle in any direction up down or sideways and the case won't fall out. thats why most dangerous game hunters prefer the CRF rifles because you don't want to have to worry about that when SHTF

Quote Originally Posted by Matt83 View Post
    On mine you can
    If so, then can't you just load three in the mag; chamber a round; and then load another in the mag from below?

you can open it, but it isn't a drop out box mag like other guns. its a hinged floorplate with a follower spring. there may be a way to load from teh bottom, but the challenge of doing so would way far out weigh the benefits. you really only open the floorplate to dump the rounds out the bottom, like if you were changing bullets or emptying the gun for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by winibezold View Post
    you can open it, but it isn't a drop out box mag like other guns. its a hinged floorplate with a follower spring. there may be a way to load from teh bottom, but the challenge of doing so would way far out weigh the benefits. you really only open the floorplate to dump the rounds out the bottom, like if you were changing bullets or emptying the gun for the day.
    Right. My Rem. 700 BDL and my Weatherby Mk Vs have hinged floorplates. I too have only unleaded, rather than loaded, using the floorplates, but I thought it might be possible to load that way. If not, Wby has extra capacity floor-plate mags for its rifles. For example, my .375 Wby holds 4-down (so 4 +1). Does Ruger have anything like that, or is it available aftermarket?

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    Have you noticed any scarring on the case when you fire or simply load then extract ?
    No scarring!
    It sounds like you have a problem Roland. Where are you? If you bring by this weekend we could run my bolt in yours etc. Bolt should close with little resistance if u drop one in chamber and close.

Better yet take to gunshop near u.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast