Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger 375 question Help, Help

Default Ruger 375 question Help, Help

Grandson just bought a ruger 375 from ad in Buy and sell forum. Took it to the range today for 1st sight in. we cannot figure out how to load 4 total rounds. Cannot put one in chamber, 3 in mag and close the bolt. only way is load 3 in mag and bolt one in chamber so
    that makes it a 3 round rifle? Any advise how to load 4 total ? I looked on Ruger website and cannot find this gun in the lineup. stainless, black composit stock, open sights. Thanks Roland

Drop one in the pipe. Stuff three in the mag. Push down on the top round with your thumb and let the bolt ride over top of it. The Ruger has a relief cut and the extractor will snap over the rim of the cartridge in the chamber.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

From my experience, all the Ruger's chambered in 375 Ruger are a 3 shot rifle. Which model do you have and where did you get information on a 4 shot version?

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Drop one in the pipe. Stuff three in the mag. Push down on the top round with your thumb and let the bolt ride over top of it. The Ruger has a relief cut and the extractor will snap over the rim of the cartridge in the chamber.
    That does work for sure. But all of them are advertised as 3 shot capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Armymark View Post
    That does work for sure. But all of them are advertised as 3 shot capacity.
    We tried that and the bolt will NOT close with a round in the chamber. fellow shooter at the range said ,it's a Mauser action and it will NOT close on a chambered round. We were not aware it was a 3 shot capacity rifle. My Remington 373 H&H I load 3 in mag, put one in chamber, depress the 3 and close the bolt. Hence, 4 shot good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Armymark View Post
    From my experience, all the Ruger's chambered in 375 Ruger are a 3 shot rifle. Which model do you have and where did you get information on a 4 shot version?
    Looking at the online Ruger website I cannot find this particular model. It's stainless, componsit stock (black ) and open sights. I think 20 or 22 inch barrel.

I believe the gun is called the Ruger Alaskan model 77. It's like ARMYMARK stated it's a 3 shooter.

I once and only once broke an extractor in a Ruger. The folks at the factory(or I should say the guy I talked to at the factory) said it broke because I was closing the bolt on a chambered round causing stress on the extractor each time it snapped over a loaded round. Maybe Ruger did something on their dangerous game rifle to prevent a feller from closing the bolt on a chambered round?? I don't know. I do know that when my extractor broke the gun had close to 10,000 rounds through it and it was late in the life of the second barrel on that gun.

Ruger does have a forum and I'm thinking they have a specific one for the Ruger Alaskan.

My personal opinion on the 375 Ruger is that it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Only if I had something in this neck of the woods big enough to die hard...I'd have one!

I bought this one recently in a left hand version, I'm pretty satisfied with it so far. It only holds 3 with two in the magazine and one in the chamber. Just tried it with mine and it will not let me load 3 and chamber a 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    We tried that and the bolt will NOT close with a round in the chamber. ...............................................
    Extractor is probably to tight. Last 2 Rugers I bought did the same thing until I lightened the extractor........polishing the "ramp" on the extractor might help a bit, after it's lightened.

Your local gunsmith could fix you right up.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Its a 3 shot rifle. Even if you get the bolt closed on the round in the chamber, the extra round in the magazine put extra upward pressure on the bolt and you may or may not have misfires; I've experienced this first hand on the range. I just go with 3 in mine and don't worry. It's a 375 with 5000lbs of energy at the muzzle and 2100lbs at 500 yds. Unless you are a very bad shot, 3 round should kill anything on the planet.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Wow, this is news to me. I hunt with a Ruger Hawkeye African in .375 Ruger and have always loaded three rounds into the mag, held the three rounds down with my thumb, dropped a fourth round into the chamber and slid the bolt forward to chamber and lock with absolutely no effort. I've never experience a malfunction with this rifle. When depressing the three rounds in the chamber, I still have a fair amount of additional space in the mag although not enough for an additional round. Perhaps you should talk to a good Ruger smith about this. Maybe my rifle is a different model.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug in Alaska View Post
    Wow, this is news to me. I hunt with a Ruger Hawkeye Safari in .375 Ruger and have always loaded three rounds into the mag, held the three rounds down with my thumb, dropped a fourth round into the chamber and slid the bolt forward to chamber and lock with absolutely no effort. I've never experience a malfunction with this rifle. When depressing the three rounds in the chamber, I still have a fair amount of additional space in the mag although not enough for an additional round. Perhaps you should talk to a good Ruger smith about this. Maybe my rifle is a different model.
    That's been my experience as well… I've had three of them- all Ruger Alaskans. It also works with all of my other 77s, regardless of cartridge.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    That's been my experience as well… I've had three of them- all Ruger Alaskans. It also works with all of my other 77s, regardless of cartridge.
    Mine works fine. Three down stairs and one in the chamber. The bolt will close on a chambered round and pick it up just fine. Perhaps the wood stock rifles don't have the space in the mag well, don't know, mine is a Houge stocked Alaskan.

My Ruger Hawkeye African has a beautiful walnut stock. I have several other Ruger M77 magnums with wood stocks that work fine as well.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

I'm perplexed now. Are some of these Hawkeys and some MarkIIS. I have a MarkII 7mm Mag and it holds 3 down and 1 in the hole. Do all Ruger Alaskans have floor plates? And here I thought I was up on Rugers????

I guess I'm confused also but all my Ruger bolt rifles have hinged floor plates.

Grandson has model 07179 catalog HKM77RSPHHM this IS NO LONGER LISTED IN RUGER'S ONLINE SITE .iT'S CALLED THE HAWKEYE ALASKAN AND HAS A BLaCK Hogue stock. I sent Ruger an e-mail just now. Curious to their reply. If any posters have THIS particular model let me know if you can load 4 or if as one poster suggested, have a gunsmith file the extractor.

I have the first year African. It does have a floorplate, but I can barely get 3 in the mag well with probably only 1/32 inch of play once full. I have never had a misfire with only 3 rounds in the rifle, but have had at least 3 on the rane and 1 in the field with 3 in the mag and one in the chamber. Ruger list it as a 3 round rifle, not a 3+1. I could probably do some minor work on the mag well and relieve the pressure, but I don't see the point, I've never needed more than 2 shots and that is because I missed the first shot. Every moose that I've shot with it went down within 5 yards of being hit 1 time. The cartrige is an absolute crusher when it hits vitals. I made the mistake of shooting one of the moose through both sholders once, and the off shoulder was destroyed. I was using the Hornady 270gr customs. I have since started reloading 300gr Nosler Accubonds and look forward to seeing how they perform.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

After a couple e-mails I finally called Ruger this AM. I was told the rifle WILL hold 4. He said put 3 in the mag, lay a 4th on top of the 3, and close the bolt advancing that 4th round to be picked up by the extractor. Being a CRF it will not work to put one in the chamber and close the bolt. The extractor has to grab the rim and hold it going forward. We'll go to the range in a day or so and give it a try.
    Thanks to all that posted on this question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    Grandson has model 07179 catalog HKM77RSPHHM this IS NO LONGER LISTED IN RUGER'S ONLINE SITE .iT'S CALLED THE HAWKEYE ALASKAN AND HAS A BLaCK Hogue stock. I sent Ruger an e-mail just now. Curious to their reply. If any posters have THIS particular model let me know if you can load 4 or if as one poster suggested, have a gunsmith file the extractor.

Controlled round feed guns are not suppose load one in the pipe and snap the extractor over the case. You risk breaking or damaging the extractor. Whatever the magazine fits. That what the gun holds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast