Thread: Valley or Peninsula???

Default Valley or Peninsula???

So that's the question of the day!
    My fiancÚ and I live in Big Lake right now. I've been here for a little over a year, my fiancÚ about six months.
    She is okay with the valley, but I seem to feel that the peninsula is a safer place to raise a family.
    I work up north so it really doesn't matter where we live.
    What are the pros and cons?

Valley is big, as is the Kenai. Both probably have their highs and lows.

Valley has crime, for sure, but not much by way of crime against strangers.

And the property crime stuff is pretty blown out of proportion right now.

Basically, stay out of two different neighborhoods and you avoid 99% of everything.

The Kenai and Valley are basically the same. Stay out of the outskirts and you'll be fine. Big Lake/Northern Wasilla can be a little iffy, but so can Nikiski/North Kenai.Anything is better than Anchorage......

Default Valley or Peninsula???

AK_Cowboy,

Can you expand a bit on your thoughts on Nikiski/North Kenai please?

We are in the process of relocating to that area and I'm curious. From what I've seen in the crime data reports that I've been able to find, that area doesn't seem any different than most other areas that are not "the big city".

Michael

The North Road folks are much the same as the ones in Big Lake or Willow. That's where people who don't want to be near other people and work on one of their 5 cars live.

I would find a place online, Google map it for an aerial view (easy way to spot those cars) and then go drive down and check it out in person.

sent from my igloo

We are going down in the morning to look at homes. It seem like a dollar might go just a little further down there.

I would rather live on the Peninsula than in the valley any day. Lower density of people, and it's easier to get out into the woods without seeing anyone else vs. the valley. Plus I like the mountains so I really like Seward.

I'd vote Peninsula as well.
    I live in the Valley and have no issues, but work in town so the Peninsula is not an option.
    If i could find a good job making what I am now in the Kenai, Soldotna, Anchor River area, I'd be there in a heartbeat.
    I've done no real research since its not an option anyway, but at face value, I think its cheaper housing/land (excluding waterfront/, view, etc). Also less folks other than the terrorists in the summer. Closer to fishing. And some good hunting close by.

I was raised with a set of ores in my hands. That driftboat in my driveway is just too lonely here in the valley. We put an offer in on a home today and our fingers are crossed!

Congrats! I think the valley is just going to get more and more crowded, and to me there is a huge value in spending the least amount of time accessing the activities you enjoy most. If I weren't tied to working in Anchortown I'd be headed closer to the fishing grounds, not to the valley.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

While the valley is crowded the Peninsula is a madhouse come tourist season. 20 minute waits just to get into a restauraunt for a burger at lunchtime are common in the summer.As are the crowds on the highways and on the rivers.
    I won't even go into details about the mad throngs of dipnetters but they add to the crowds.
    Our moose hunting is in the crapper and most folks head north for moose/caribou hunting.
    The peninsula is getting more crowded all the time and every year I see more out of state plates in the middle of January.
    Even just yesterday the traffic was bad as in 5-10 minutes wait at a stop sign trying to pick my stepson up from school.
    Most of the central peninsula is refuge land. Good in some ways but also restrictive in others.
    Many of our fisheries are going rapidly south as well. Kings salmon and clams are just 2 examples of declining fisheries that will take years to rebound.

As far as North Kenai/Nikiski goes here is my opinion. The people there are very nice. But many of them want to be left alone and not bothered by strangers.
    When theft became a problem a few years back they took matters into their own hands and vigilante justice was dished out.
    The Troopers warned the locals that they couldn't do that and they informed the troopers if it happened again and the troopers were not prompt on showing up it would indeed happen again.
    If you are moving up from Texas keep your attitude in check. The first time you mention how things are done in Texas or how Texas is better in any way in a bar will land you on your arse outside.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Well I moved up from Oregon and this is my second time living up here.
    And I grew out of the bar years ago. But your right, most times when I went to a bar and someone always ended up on their arse, usually me.

Although unfortunately I have to say the Kenai isn't the place it was 30 years ago,(what place is....right?) I do have to say though that I feel blessed to have raised two beautiful kids here. At the time my kids were in grammar school, Tustumena was the best in the state. Teachers were great and my kids did well.

As far as "Kasilof'ers" or "Northroad'ers".....it's just been an ongoing joke. No different than anywhere else.....there'as always going to be some riff-raff anywhere you go. As "kasilofchrisn" has said, unfortunately our moose populations are really down and that IS a big bummer for sure. But what I really like is that (at times) it only takes a few minutes to be "out in it" and feel like you have the whole place to yourself. Take a boat out on Skilak or Tusty and REALLY have access to some great areas.

Sadly, one thing that I just found out that I had NO idea was going on around here was that heroin usage is running rampant. I'd always "heard" that a pretty large use of crack was going on, but finding out that now it's heroin really took me by surprise. Looking back now, I guess it shouldn't have.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!