Thread: Tikka rings?

Default Tikka rings?

Was wondering if any of you Tikka T3 Lite owners have had any issues with the scope rings that come with the rifle? Do you find you need Loc-tite to keep the screws in place? I just bought a new 300 Win Mag in this rifle and am putting a Leupold VX III in the 2.5x8 on top of it. Thanks in advance for any info!!

I would buy some Talley LW one piece mounts for your Tikka instead of factory mounts.

Didn't give them the chance. My Tikka T3 Lite is the best rifle I've owned. Granted I haven't been the owner of countless rifles. I just didn't get that "warm fuzzy" feeling when I looked them over. I went with Leupold rings and bases and they have never budged or loosened. Would also second the Talleys.

They may be more than sufficient... just didn't want to chance it. I'm sure Tikka/Sako wouldn't purposely skimp on rings and their set-up, but I went with what I knew for sure was reliable.
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

I use them on both my 270 WSM and 338, both T3 Lite Stainless. No issues. Neither have had the scopes slip nor have they lost zero. I have not used lock tite or anything else.

Good luck

I bought a used Tikka T3 Lite in 338 Win Mag and the pin that located the oem ring was breaking free through the side of the aluminum. I went with some super heavy duty warne rings and have been happy ever since. They are heavy, but I have absolutely no doubts of their reliability. The tikka rings may have been installed backwards, causing their failure, or maybe the pin was machined in the wrong spot from the factory.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

I haven't had a problem on my 7mm yet, but I thought the same thing. They look like they might loosen, but I guess you can't read a book by its cover. I've shot about 50 rounds since I got sighted in and it still holds dead on, so no complaints here. I have a leupold VXII 3x9 on mine.

I also replaced the tika rings with Warne in quick release on my 338 federal. Didn't have a problem with the tika rings because I never used them. Just felt more comfortable with the steel Warne.

Default Garbage!

The stock Tikka rings are junk! Mine failed, my buddys failed, I have two co-workers each with two Tikkas, all their rings slipped or the pin started to break out the back of the ring. The aluminum is just too dang soft and the screw heads round out way too easy. Maybe with better screws you could get them cinched up tight enough not to slip.

Our solution was to go with Talley lightweight one piece ring/bases. Rock solid and are a perfect compliment to this rifle. Not a single slip or complaint since.

I have owned 3 different T3 Lite's and the only problem I had with the rings were that the screws were a little soft.If you were not perfectly seated with your allen wrench you will strip them.Other then that,I thought they were great.Hell,it saves you $50 over having to buy another set.

Tikka T3s are a great rifle for the price, but they screwed the pooch with their factory give-away rings. A relative of mine is a gunsmith and he's seen a number of structural failures with the aluminum Tikka T3 rings. I was 100% on both of my Tikka T3s in 7mm RM - both sets of rings failed.

As mentioned in prior post, the aluminum pin in the base of the front ring that protrudes into the recess in the receiver will deform the aluminum ring under the stress of recoil.

This steel pin in the aluminum ring is the failure point. Throw the factory rings away or give them to someone you don't like! Then buy some rings that fasten the scope to the receiver with more than one small diameter pin. If you want light, yet strong rings, buy some of the Talley lightweights.

Intersting mixture of responses. FWIW my .300 winmag has never had an issue with the factory rings breaking or shifting zero. Based on some of the responses though I will be checking the sides of the rings for signs of breakage. I would imagine it would start by shifting zero before actual failure. Any comment on this from the folks who have had problems?

Dave

Default failure defined

By failure, I meant that the steel pin protruding from the base of the front scope ring began to bulge out the side of the aluminum ring (the side of the ring the steel pin is closest to - in my case, the side of the ring facing the shooter). You'll be able to see the deformation on the side of the ring directly adjacent to the steel pin. The steel pin is trying to kick out the side of the ring as the receiver kicks back under recoil. Once I saw that deformation, I knew the rear ring was sliding forward in the dovetail grooves to the same extent that the front ring was sliding forward as allowed by the pin bulging out the side of the ring. If you look at these Tikka rings, the only positive fastener preventing these scope rings from sliding forward in the dovetails (other than the friction of the rings clamping against the side of the dovetail grooves) is that single steel pin. Compare that to the Talley Lightweights, which have four screws (two on each ring) preventing shifting of the rings on the receiver under recoil.

With a 300 WM, I suspect you'll see this problem on your setup.

With a really lightweight scope you could maybe get away with the Tikka rings - there may not be be enough scope mass to exert sufficient force to cause the scope rings to slide forward on the dovetails, which causes the steel pin to bulge out the side of the aluminum ring. But I've seen the steel-pinned Tikka rings deform with scopes weighing from 13 oz to 17.5 oz mounted on 7MM RMs and 300 WSMs.

Hope this helps. Sorry I didn't explain what I meant by 'failure' more clearly the first time.

Default talleys

thanks everyone for the posts, I went ahead and bought a pair of the talley lightweights, they are in the mail as we speak!!

Default Pic of them installed???

Wondering if someone could post a pic of those rings installed on a Tikka. I am curious about them enough now.

Thanks, schmidty

Default Thanks PORWATH

oops, PHORWATH I ment. Appreciate the detailed responce.
    Dave

I'm glad I've learned to trust my "spidey sense"....

I guess Tikka/Sako HAS skimped on their rings. That's a shame to make such a quality gun, then give it a big black eye. I'm sure if the negativity is as widespread as it is on this forum, Tikka has had an earfull by now. Does anyone know if Tikka is correcting this? or are they content with their set-up?
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

Tikka no longer sells the rings with the rifle on new production models. I bought my last Tikka a 270Win and it did not come with rings. The biggest problem I have seen with them is the soft metal screws rounding off with little or no technique that would prevent it. If you tighten them too much or loosen them to swap a scope they are done, you will need new screws. The $39 that lightweight Talleys cost is absolutely worth their rep and fit great on Tikkas and match the lightweight characteristics of the gun. Dont make much sense to me to skimp on a critical component.

Thanks AlaskaCub

If you don't put them in the box with the gun, then you don't have problems or customer complaints... problem solved... with little to no research and development...

Default Tikka Rings

For those with the Talleys, where did you buy/order them?

Default Talley rings/bases

Your post does not indicate where you reside. If you live in the Eagle River area I think Boondocks carries them, if in Anchorage I would check Great Northern Guns, Mountain View or Sportsman Warehouse. They can always be ordered by calling them in SC - will go out in next days mail.